The legacy of Russian Orthodoxy is very large. A huge number of churches and churches with which Russia has endowed history are now undergoing a new stage of their “life” - restoration and return to the bosom of the Orthodox faith. Not an exception is the Moscow Zachatievsky monastery. The great Orthodox relic is a worthy decoration of the capital and a place where believers can always talk with God, ask Him for the most confidential.
Location of the convent
Today, many people visit Zachatievsky Monastery. Every second knows how to get there. The monastery is located in Khamovniki, not far from the Moskva River, at the address: 2nd Zachatievsky Pereulok, Building 2. The nearest metro station to the monastery is “Park Kultury”. Next, you can get to the monastery by trolleybus number 31, stop - Ul. Dmitrievsky.
The picturesque place by the reservoir is a kind of halo of the Russian shrine, which has been pleasing with its extraordinary beauty humanity since the 1360s. The ancient Zachatievsky Stavropegic Convent, which has survived to the present day, reminds us how important the spirit and faith of people have been carried through centuries, despite various difficulties and hardships.
Thanks to the efforts of the Moscow Metropolitan Alexy, the Zachatievsky monastery was erected. At the request of the sisters who served him, the case moved in 1360. This institution is the very first nunnery of exemplary order, which was built in Russia. Zachatievsky monastery has always been famous for the rigor of the observance of Orthodox canons and the piety of nuns and nuns. Many residents of the capital called him Starodevichy, this name remains with him to this day.
Since the first building was built of wooden beams, it could not survive the great fire in 1547. Most of the Orthodox monastery burned to the ground. Ivan the Terrible, the sovereign at that time, allocated additional land for the building of the new church, but the parish who served did not abandon his deed and gradually worked on the restoration of the buildings. Only in 1584, the monastery from the surviving community would grow back into the revered temple thanks to the financial assistance of the sovereign Fedor Ivanovich, whose wife Irina Godunova suffered from sterility. In the hope of the birth of an heir, the married couple will finance the structure of the main architectural elements that filled the territory of the monastery.
A good deed in the form of a built temple gave its result: after consecration with the icon of Our Lady, the holy monastery presented Irina Godunova with her daughter. Therefore, today it is called Zachatievsky Monastery.
A very pious institution attracted the attention of representatives of a noble family, who by virtue of their faith refused worldly goods and served God. In the monastery was formed the women's shelter of orphan girls, who, growing up in the cloisters of the temple, continued to serve him, even reaching adulthood. Severity and order always reigned within the walls of an Orthodox institution, which was the lot of the intelligent rulers of Juliana and Eupraxia.
In 1612, the holy cloister of the monastery suffered from the Polish invasions, and in 1812 from the invasion of French troops.
Architectural orthodox tandem
By the beginning of the revolution in 1917, Zachatievsky Convent consisted of four churches:
- The Cathedral Of The Nativity Of The Blessed Virgin. Built in 1807 architects Kazakov M. M. and M. F. Kazakov Style buildings reminiscent of the Baroque. Pinnacles, spires tents, ogival testified about the romantic architectural mood creators.
- Temple of the Icon of the Mother of God "Burning Bush". Built in 1706. At the base of the temple are the graves of the founders of the convent - the sisters of St. Alexius Juliana and Eupraxia.
- Temple of the Descent of the Holy Spirit. Built in 1844-1850. architect M. D. Bykovsky.
- Gate Church of the Savior of the Hands of Man. Built in 1696 by one of the most loyal nobles of Peter I, Andrei Rimsky-Korsakov. This temple was and remains to this day baptismal and wedding.
During the revolution, the bell tower was destroyed, the women's monastery as such was closed, the parish was dissolved.
To date, the Gate Church of the Savior of the Hands of Man, the Church of the Conception of Holy Just Anna and built after 1927, which survived but largely modified its original appearance, are built. On the site of the destroyed temples, a school and a building were erected to house the street children. The Orthodox Zachatievsky Convent was used by the Soviets as a labor colony.
Revival and restoration of the monastery
Only in 1993, the Zachatievsky Monastery in Moscow will return to its original purpose - the Christian initiative. The remaining buildings today are more similar to residential buildings, but nevertheless they have retained many architectural tiles of ancient times. During the years of restoration revival, a new refectory of the monastery and a cathedral were erected.
The monastery was restored thanks to donations from parishioners. Today this ancient relic is one of the most revered Orthodox Christians, who tirelessly keep in order such an expensive legacy of their ancestors.
In the basement of the newly erected cathedral, it is planned to open a museum dedicated to the history of the structure of the convent. It is here that the oldest remains of buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries found during excavations will be exhibited.
Christian relics stored in the monastery
The main shrines that the Zachatievsky monastery in Moscow keeps are the relics of the nuns of Juliana and Eupraxia, as well as the “Gracious” miraculous icon of the Mother of God. It was to her Godunov who prayed and, as a result, was gifted with the happiness of motherhood.
Ancient icons in the Zachatievsky monastery create a favorable spiritual atmosphere that sets up a happy life.
The modern purpose of the Zachatiev monastery
Currently, the convent is the abode of the revival of the ancient monastic life styles. Since 1995, the women's monastic parish has been open and is now operating.
Miracles in the monastery
The most important miracles that take place in the Zachatyevsky monastery for women are the deliverance from infertility of many married couples who turned for help to the shrines of this monastery. Also, many believers were convinced of the healing properties of the relics in relation to not only procreation, but also deliverance from many other ailments.
The basis of the miracles of healing, of course, is a strong faith in the help of God and all his holy faces. The Zachatievsky Convent, which is famous throughout the country for its properties, continues to amaze many with miracles today.
Schedule of worship in the monastery
Today, the convent performs its most important function, being a measure of the Orthodox faith in contemporary society. Finally, after years of exploitation by appointment divine abode, returned to the Christian parish that is to the benefit of the people.
On the territory of the Zachatievsky monastery, services are held daily, in each separate church at the same time: morning - from eight, evening - from five o'clock. Every believer can become one of the participants in the divine services.
During its existence, Zachatievsky Convent has made happy not one woman who wants to become a mother despite all the difficulties.