Pregnancy is a wonderful period in the life of every woman. To ensure that it passes with comfort and safety, one must constantly be under the supervision of a doctor. There are a large number of analyzes and measurements that show how this period passes. Today we will talk about such an interesting medical term as the height of the uterine fundus for weeks of pregnancy. We will study what this indicator affects and the correctness of its calculation.
The uterus is the body that is responsible for the pregnancy and bearing of the child. If you take an average woman who is ready to have a baby, then she has the following sizes of the uterus:
- height - about 4 cm;
- length reaches 7-8 cm.
These indicators are not standard, because everything depends on the individual characteristics of each woman. Accordingly, the figures may differ from those given above, but this does not mean that something is wrong. In a nulliparous woman, the uterus has a weight of about 50 grams. But those who were lucky enough to get pregnant, by the end of the term receive an organ weighing about 4 kg. This is not at all surprising. After all, during the whole period the baby grew in it, the uterus adjusted to the size of the fetus. To find out how the main organ grows and stretches, the doctor can by means of such a measurement as the height of the bottom of the uterus. For a week, this indicator will gradually change. With this measurement, specialists control the highest point of its location.
For many future mothers, it is interesting to know why such a measurement is being carried out. First of all, it is worth considering what the woman's womb consists of:
The last component shows the highest part of the uterus body. By the end of the gestation period, it can be about 38 cm, with a wall thickness of 1 cm. The enlargement of the uterine fundus takes place approximately 5-6 weeks. At this time, the indicator increases in anteroposterior and transverse position. Then everything happens according to the following scheme:
- at the 8th week the uterus increases approximately twice;
- in 10 weeks - three times;
- at week 13, the increase is about four times;
- Week 14 - the uterus is located outside the small pelvis.
The height of the uterine fundus by weeks of pregnancy is easily determined by the doctor at the beginning of the second trimester of your interesting situation. He does this with the help of hands through the front wall of the abdominal cavity.
How to measure?
The height of the standing of the bottom of the uterus is measured in a simple way. For this, the doctor performs the following manipulations:
- He puts the woman on the couch with his belly upstairs.
- The legs must be necessarily straight.
- Using a centimeter tape, the doctor measures the distance from the pubis to the top of the female main organ. This is the height of the standing of the bottom of the uterus.
For accuracy of measurements before going to the doctor it is desirable to completely empty the bladder. If you want to know the development of the fetus or the number of amniotic fluid, then you can use such an indicator as the height of the bottom of the uterus. For weeks, each indicator is written, which indirectly shows the real picture of a woman's condition.
Important! The result of the height of the uterus is not a reliable indicator of fetal development, so if you have some deviations from the norms, then do not immediately raise panic.
There are several reasons that affect this indicator in each individual case. These include:
- Additional measurements, such as the amount of amniotic fluid, the size of the baby, its position in the womb, the number of fruits.
- Measurement of the uterine fundus should be carried out only in dynamics.
- Individual physiological characteristics: the size of the uterus before pregnancy, the physique of the future mother.
MFD longer term
It happens that the height of standing of the uterus bottom exceeds the normative value, which is put exactly in your week. There are a number of reasons for this:
- anatomical features of a pregnant woman, for example, you may have a narrow pelvis;
- the amount of amniotic fluid exceeds the standard value;
- you have several fruits;
- originally was given the wrong period of pregnancy.
Apparently, all these reasons are not some serious deviations. Many pregnant women face the reverse situation.
Less than the deadline
There are a number of reasons that influence the fact that this indicator is much lower than the normative one. This situation can be explained by the following reasons:
- the fetus lags behind in development;
- a child in the womb of the mother may be positioned obliquely or transversely;
- the amount of amniotic fluid is much lower than the prescribed one;
- a wide basin;
- wrong term is set.
If the height of the bottom of the uterus and the abdominal circumference do not coincide with the norms, then do not rush to draw conclusions. The doctor will ask you to undergo an additional examination. It consists of the following procedures:
If the height of the bottom of the uterus by a week is in the deviation from the norm by 3-4 cm, then do not panic. In acute pathological conditions, this difference exceeds the normative index by several times.
Today you have learned what the height of the bottom of the uterus is, and the way it is measured. This indicator also shows the degree of development of the baby. Follow exactly to all the prescriptions of your obstetrician-gynecologist, and then the pregnancy period will pass perfectly.