Feature of any of the verandah being in fact a terrace adjoining the house, is its location on one level with a residential building directly next to the exit, which allows without actually leaving the house, at any time to be outdoors. It was not only the main reason of popularity of such additions over several centuries, but also to determine the parameters used in their construction materials.
The basic requirements to the veranda, and at the same time capacious. It should be:
To date, all of the above properties are best demonstrated veranda made of polycarbonate.
Unusual transparent plastic
Polycarbonate, or a transparent polymer plastic was created as an alternative to conventional glass. The first sheet of this material was first produced in Israel in the mid 70-ies of the last century. Since then, cellular and monolithic polycarbonate is widespread in various industries. In the first place due to their unique characteristics, of which the most basic are:
- the lifetime of more than 10 years
- high strength, superior to any industrial transparent materials
- the degree of transparency, reaching almost 90 %
- resistance to external environment and UV light
- ease of processing
- small weight;
- reasonable cost.
All together made an indispensable material in construction, and especially in private residential buildings. Pavilions, terraces and porches of polycarbonate have become an indispensable attribute of the majority of country houses and cottages.
Features open porch
As already mentioned, the porch must meet a number of requirements that determines the choice of material for construction, in this case, the use of polycarbonate. A major influence on its use has a functional purpose porches: open or closed it is.
Open, summer or veranda from polycarbonate in the same way as other materials are usually only used in the warm time of the year and serve as a reliable shelter from the sun or possible rain. The design of such buildings is quite simple and includes mandatory support for fastening of the roof and the fence. Polycarbonate sheets can be used for fencing and for roof. The pillars can be made of wooden beams, metal profiles or brick, that is, any material used for similar work.
Characteristic differences closed buildings
For closed options in addition to walls and roofs assumes the presence of door or window openings, and a thorough warming of the entire perimeter of the room. The use of transparent polycarbonate can eliminate the need to install Windows as the entire wall becomes a big panorama. This solution can also be used for doors or a roof, allowing to create the effect of permanent presence of the outdoors in a comfortable environment. To completely abandon Windows, as in the summer they provide the necessary coolness.
Types of polycarbonate and its advantages
For the construction of the veranda or some other constructions you can use two kinds of polycarbonate:
- cell sheet composed of separate plates connected by a partition
- solid sheet having no voids inside.
Having practically the same advantages, they have their own peculiarities. The first retains heat well, and the second in all respects superior to ordinary glass.
Veranda polycarbonate favorably with those made of other materials, even if the use of this material is restricted to individual structural elements. Basic advantages include:
- a significant reduction in costs for construction that is not only affordable polycarbonate, but also decrease the total weight of the structure and, as a consequence, the number of elements that give rigidity
- ease of processing, allowing for installation even of large area sheets by yourself, including cutting and subsequent connection
- good resistance to all atmospheric agents, which, combined with a competent project allows us to observe natural phenomena "from the first row."
Shortcomings and ways to address them
It is impossible not to mention existing this material disadvantages that must be taken into account in the process of operation:
- susceptibility to mechanical damage, which requires some care in use
- the ability to scratch even with a light touch, which reduces transparency and makes mandatory the elimination of potential sources of damage, such as branches of trees or shrubs
- intolerance chemical solutions contained in some types of detergents
- the ability to change its dimensions under the influence of temperature, which can be prevented by providing gaps between the sheets
- when creating closed structures necessarily require sealant.
The use of precautionary measures in the process of installation and operation of a polycarbonate veranda allows you to effortlessly minimize the effect of these disadvantages.
If the installation is with your hands
Easy handling and light weight often become decisive factors when deciding on the construction of the veranda with his hands. Usually in this case means attached veranda made of polycarbonate, the need for which arose after completion of construction of the main house.
Process facilities is no different from the technology of construction of verandas of any other material:
- preparation of a future building project
- installation of formwork and pouring the Foundation (tape, cast, or bar)
- installation of support posts (timber or metal profiles) and gender
- the installation of the rafters (wooden or metal)
- installation of walls and roofs made of polycarbonate.
In this process the main thing – correctly to select, prepare and fasten polycarbonate sheets.
Features of work with material
In the selection and installation of polycarbonate sheets it is desirable to use the following guidelines:
- prior to the termination of installation works protective coating can not be removed
- when working with cell sheets, the ends must be seal to prevent access of moisture to the inside
- for open-source projects sufficient thickness to 10 mm, for closed to choose of 16 mm and more
- for window or door openings it is recommended the use of solid sheets, which are best installed in a frame, as ordinary glass
- the angle of the roof for veranda made of polycarbonate should be at least 40° to prevent accumulation of water or foliage
- the movement of the leaves occurs with the help of special devices, otherwise they may crack
- the attachment of the sheet to any basis is always done only with the use of gaskets made of rubber, preventing damage.
If you look at all the existing polycarbonate verandas and terraces, the photos of which are in the article, you can choose any suitable option for the most demanding owners.
Polycarbonate blends well with all construction materials, thanks to which easily fits into the design of any private buildings. Various colors only extends the applications.
The ability to take almost any shape opens up endless options for creating roofs. This is most clearly demonstrated children's porch made of polycarbonate.
Facilities for children
Preschools most in need of bright structures that create shade during the heat and protection from the rain. Veranda made of polycarbonate for kindergarten successfully combine a pleasant appearance, an unusual shape and lightness perception.
Standard options verandas to start serial production of the most popular models, coupled with simple installation, reduces installation time to 1 day.
Recommendations and reviews
Any decision, usually carried out after the analysis of opinions on the Internet or experience of friends or acquaintances. If to summarize the available information on the construction of the veranda made of polycarbonate, reviews mostly positive. The main advantages of the material are confirmed by most users. Major disadvantages include a strong heating of the premises with a roof made of polycarbonate, even with the Windows open, a small loss of transparency after a time, and the ability to scratch, even from small mechanical influences.
The reviews indicate that to prevent overheating in the roof enough to install the vent that improves air circulation and will contribute to the cooling of the veranda. Light tarnish typical of many transparent materials and is the norm, and little damage can be minimized if you clean the perimeter of the veranda, usually trees or shrubs.