Vascular problems in the legs can affect anyone. To avoid further complications, to obtain the correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment, an ultrasound scan of the lower extremities can be performed, which gives accurate results. Leg pain can be a symptom of a serious illness. In this article you will learn how to do ultrasound of the lower extremities. Photos illustrate the process.
What could be the reasons?
Ultrasound examination of the legs is currently in demand among diagnostic methods. Its essence is quite simple: ultrasound waves are used for inspection, which help to give an objective assessment of the condition of the vessels of the lower extremities.
Too energetic or, on the contrary, sedentary lifestyle, uncomfortable shoes, bad habits - all this can be the beginning of vascular diseases. And it often delivers a lot of discomfort. For this reason, you need to fight disease.
When is it recommended to do an ultrasound diagnosis of the legs?
Ultrasound examination of the lower limbs should be performed if there are any vascular disorders, namely:
- detection of stars from small vessels or dilated veins on the skin of the legs;
- numbness and feeling of running goosebumps;
- pallor of feet;
- muscle spasms of the back of the leg;
- exhaustion of the lower limbs due to stress;
- squeezing of the skin on the legs, its darkening and long-term trophic ulcers;
- narrowing of the leg in size, change in muscle strength, tone, hair growth;
- a feeling of coolness in the legs and their rapid freezing, despite the normal temperature of the air;
- the appearance of pain in the legs during movements, any load and at rest, which often indicates the need for an ultrasound of the lower extremities;
- blue fingers or the entire foot;
- swelling of the legs, especially one-sided.
Excellence in Ultrasound
Ultrasonography of the lower extremities makes it possible to examine the vessels with maximum clarity, without exposing the patient and the doctor. Due to the non-invasive orientation, this procedure can be performed multiple times with the same patient.
Today, in modern private clinics ultrasound is carried out not only the external veins of the legs, but also deep. The cost of such an examination is higher, but it can be used to prevent the formation of asymptomatic vascular diseases. And for sure, many are wondering: where to do ultrasound of the lower extremities?
Ultrasound examination of the deep veins of the legs is not performed everywhere, as the manufacturers of current technology have only recently introduced devices for such an examination into medical centers. When performing ultrasound of the vessels of the lower extremities, the price of the event will be directly determined by the qualifications of the attending medical staff, the level of depreciation and the cost of medical equipment with which the procedure is carried out.
How do ultrasounds of the lower limbs?
The process of examining the vessels of the legs is no different from the usual ultrasound. A special gel is applied to the affected limb, which is necessary for closer contact with the device. The duration of the ultrasound is not more than an hour. The event is absolutely painless. Only in certain cases need additional injections.
Preparing for the ultrasound of the blood vessels of the legs is also absolutely not required. The patient may not limit himself to food before the examination and not stop taking daily medications.
Since the procedure takes a fairly long period, the patient is allowed to eat something before the process itself, and this will not affect the results. You can wear a skirt or comfortable trousers.
The appointment of such an event
Ultrasound of the lower extremities always adheres to certain goals:
- see the vascular permeability, as well as the capacity of the entire venous system;
- examine the general condition of the tissues and veins;
- check venous blood flow.
In order for the procedure of checking the vessels of the legs to give good results, the study should be performed in three positions: supine, abdominal and standing. You can watch how the lower limbs ultrasound is done.. The photo below shows the procedure.
What diseases can I learn after an ultrasound?
The event of inspecting the blood vessels of the legs helps to identify a variety of different ailments:
- Permanent venous insufficiency.
- Phlebothrombosis (formation of blood clots in the deep venous system).
- Varicose disease.
- Valvular insufficiency of the subcutaneous, perforating and deep veins.
- Thrombophlebitis (development of blood clots in the external veins).
Where can I get tested?
In order to find out exactly where the ultrasound diagnosis of the blood vessels of the lower extremities is performed, you should contact a vascular surgeon. The doctor can independently conduct it in a specialized center or a multidisciplinary clinic or advise a specialist to whom he has confidence. It is also possible to perform an ultrasound examination of the legs absolutely free of charge in the vascular surgery department of the central state hospital.
For a fee, you can pass an inspection at the nearest phlebological center, having found out the price for the event by phone. The cost of such a diagnosis will depend on what specific blood vessels will be examined.
Now many have learned how and where ultrasounds of the lower limbs are done. It remains only to determine the venue.