Often the case that infection that progresses inside looking for a way out. Especially it happens after surgery. Consider why this happens and how to treat appeared fistula after surgery.
Fistula – what is it?
A fistula is a channel that connects a body cavity or hollow organs with each other or with the external environment. It is lined with epithelium and pus comes out, or channel lined with granulation tissue. If this does not happen, then a purulent fistula.
Such a process can be the result of any inflammatory process in the body or the consequence of surgical intervention.
Types of fistulas
Depending on where the fistula is located, they are divided into:
- Gastric fistula.
- Recto vaginal fistula.
The fistula may be complete and incomplete. Full has two holes and will be treated as is the yield, incomplete, with one hole, and further develops the inflammatory process, the number of bacteria increases.
Fistula can be Goloviznin or tubular. Gobbedly treated only with surgery.
If we consider the process of formation, granulomatous fistula is one that is still not fully formed, and the tubular is already lined with epithelium and fully formed.
What causes a fistula after surgery?
There are several reasons for this phenomenon:
- Not until the end eliminated the focus of infection.
- In chronic lingering inflammatory process.
- As the effects of the blind gunshot wounds. Small particles in the body, the fragments perceived by the body as a foreign body, and begins the process of Gnote.
- The denial of the body of the threads used in surgical operations, as a result, fester seams.
The last point is the most common reason why there is a fistula after surgery. There's also several explanations:
- Non-sterile suture material.
- The body's response to a foreign body.
Fistula in the suture after the operation, forms a seal from the suture, fibrous tissue and collagenous fibers.
How to recognize the appearance of a fistula after surgery?
Since it is primarily an inflammatory process, and to recognize fistula after an operation characteristic symptoms easy. They are:
- Around the seam in the infected area there is condensation, reddening, tubercles, and here the body temperature is much higher.
- As a rule, at the initial stage not all the inflamed area of the postoperative suture.
- Observed purulent discharge. The less the number more of them.
- The affected area turns red, swells and painful to the touch.
- Place the sutures becomes red.
- General condition of the patient can worsen, the body temperature rises to 38 degrees and above.
If you have these symptoms, you need to see a doctor, otherwise the infection may spread to organs or cause blood poisoning.
Diagnosing the fistula
To diagnose a fistula after surgery is easy, as you can see it visually if it is outer. The doctor listened to the patient, examining, paying attention primarily on:
- Quantity and quality of excreta.
- On the size of the fistula, its color.
- If the interorgan fistula, then pay attention to the work of neighbouring authorities, especially if there are changes.
In order to know the length and direction of the fistulous channel, apply the probing and x-rays.
It is also necessary to make a number of tests that will confirm the view of the fistula. Gastric show the presence of hydrochloric acid, and uric the presence of uric acid salts.
It so happens that the seam can start to fester after a long period after surgery, so you need to find out the cause of this phenomenon.
If you still have a fistula after surgery how to treat?
Treatment of fistulas
For successful therapy, first of all it is necessary:
- To remove the source of the inflammatory process. If this thread, then it is removed.
- The physician should conduct a survey, make fistulography. This will show whether the connection of the fistula to the internal organs.
- Then prescribe a mandatory course of antibiotics or anti-inflammatories depending on the depth of the inflammatory process.
- To maintain the body's your doctor may prescribe a vitamin complex to more were force to fight germs.
- The wound is washed syringe with hydrogen peroxide or furatsilina, as these funds are excellent disinfect and promote rapid healing. The procedure is performed daily, and if pus a lot, several times a day.
As a rule, the wound begins to heal. If not, then possibly surgery, which removes the excess granulation and possible burning sites.
The latest method is the treatment of a fistula after surgery using ultrasound. This method is the most gentle, but it is not fast.
In severe cases, if several fistulas are formed, excision of the postoperative scar is completely revealed. The infected suture material is removed, and a new suture is applied.
If you are still unable to cure the fistula and had to resort to operational methods, after surgery to remove fistula healing will take place over several weeks. The wound will heal faster if you provide it with complete rest and proper care.
After surgery, a fistula of the rectum the doctor usually appoints the diet in order for the wound healed faster. After such operations mandatory appointment of painkillers and antibiotics. The wound heals within a month, excludes any physical activity.
Treatment prognosis usually is good, and the patient fully recovers.
Traditional methods of treatment
Of course, people are always trying to cure the disease at home. There are also several recipes for the treatment of fistulas folk remedies. Here are some of them.
- It is necessary to take in equal proportions vodka and olive oil. Wet this with a mixture of bandage and apply to the inflamed areas. At night, applying a cabbage leaf. Such procedures must be at least ten.
- Well pull the pus from the wound a mixture of aloe juice and Shilajit. Shilajit is diluted with water to the consistency of strong tea. The bandage should be left on for a long time.
- Wash the wounds advise the decoction of St. John's wort. You can put a bandage on top, and then wrap an oilcloth. If the solution is hot, then the effect from it will be greater.
- There are prescription ointments that can heal not only pregnancy, but also scars. Are required in equal quantities to take flower honey, pine resin, medical tar, butter, the pulp of the aloe leaf, mix ingredients and heat in a water bath. Dilute the vodka to the desired consistency. To apply the ointment around the fistula, then cover with plastic and put a bandage or band-aid. The fistula healed before our eyes.
- It is good to apply softened gum. She excellently pushes and tightens wounds.
- To enhance the immunity of the patient is recommended to drink aloe juice with honey. The recipe the following: take 12 leaves of three plants and leave in the refrigerator for 10 days. Then cut into small pieces, put them into a glass bowl and pour liquid honey to completely cover. Every day stir, and leave for 6 days. Infusion strain and take 1 teaspoon 3 times a day before meals. After such drugs have the strength to fight the disease, and wounds will heal faster.
It should be noted that if a fistula formed after the operation, the treatment must be under the supervision of doctors and folk remedies is a Supplement to the main course.
Prevention of fistulas
In order not to appear fistulas after surgery, it is necessary:
- First of all to observe the rules of asepsis during surgery.
- All instruments and suture material must be sterile.
- It is necessary to carry out the treatment of the wound before it is sewn.
- Vascular dilation should occur with a small tissue capture.
- Prescribe antibiotic preparations for the prevention of infections.
- It is necessary to treat all infectious diseases, not allowing the development of fistulas.
If all listed recommendations are followed, then the probability of fistula formation after surgery will be minimal.