In the study of the history of urban planning throughout the "growing" of humanity it is possible to observe interesting changes in the preference of materials for construction of buildings. At first it was a structure made of reeds and branches, covered with clay, then there is a wooden architecture, which were replaced by stone buildings, to the 21st century of the people come with a wide range of materials that correspond to modern concepts of comfort and safety.
Very popular today are the home of structural insulated panels, which came to us from Canada.
History of structural insulated panels
That's how the people that they are constantly looking to surround yourself with maximum comfort at a minimal cost. As bulky and expensive materials does not suit contractors, manufacturers began to look for an alternative. The first was Frank Wright and Alden DOE, who invented the sandwich panels, which were sheets of plywood with insulation between them.
Only after DOE has applied in polystyrene, the mass construction of SIP panels, which won the most popular in Canada, where the name of the technology of construction of houses made of this material. It was in the early 60-ies of the 20th century. To date, manufacturers have improved as the panels and their Assembly that buying a ready domokomplekta from SIP-panels from the factory, even a beginner will be able to erect your building.
As practice shows, nowadays houses using canadian technology erected all over the world and this is due to those qualities to which they are entitled:
- the unique composition
- method of production
- features of installation
- the speed of construction of the building.
On the market today, you can find structural insulated panels, the price of which depends only on the production of materials for them. Today already you will surprise nobody that the outer plates are made in one country, insulation – other, and assemble structural insulated panels in the third, but it's still cheaper than to transport finished products from distant Canada.
Therefore, the European and the domestic market there are many firms that manufacture using the same technology on the field of SIP-panels. The feedback from residents (the pros and cons, primarily) living in these houses, means more to them than any advertising. It is the cheapness of the material and high quality finished buildings made them so popular with the public.
The composition of the panels
As a rule, the house of SIP panels are long their owners and have an attractive look and reliability. This is due to the quality of the materials from which they are produced:
- In the "sandwich" is OSP-plate, the production of which is today the most advanced technology in the production of building materials. These plates are made from long and narrow chips, stacked in several layers and pressed so that they are on all sides of the sheet lie perpendicular to each other. This technology improves the material's resistance to bending under loads in different planes, which is not normal wood. As a rule, manufacturers of structural insulated panels using pine or aspen chips. Unlike most such structures, these plates 97% are composed of wood, and only 3 % occur in the bonding material. Treated with a special water-repellent agent, they are resistant to moisture, mechanical damage and decay, making them not only environmentally friendly raw materials but also durable.
Important: when checking the panels it was discovered that when the thickness is 22.4 cm they provide resistance to heat transfer in 5.2 W/m ℃, while for a brick wall thickness of 40 cm it is only 2 W/m ℃.
Given that the construction of SIP-panels is much cheaper, and the quality and visual appeal of the structure is not inferior to similar houses of brick, it is understandable why many consumers opt for canadian technology. It's just that when you can create the maximum comfort at an affordable price.
Advantages of SIP panels
Since technology is not standing still and is constantly evolving, you may soon home in which the walls of SIP panels will meet more often than of brick or foam concrete. This is due to the benefits they provide:
- The most important advantage of these panels is their teploizolirovannye. If you take the basis of the resistance value of the wall heat transfer, equal to 3 W/m °C, the thickness of the SIPS panels is 16.4 cm, whereas:
- lumber – 52 cm
- foam – 60 cm
- concrete – 101 cm
- brick – 230 cm
- concrete – 450cm.
Important to know: this ability to retain heat inside the home can significantly save energy consumption for its heating.
- The material provides excellent noise isolation.
- The owners of houses of SIP panels known as lightweight material. For example, the average weight of 1 sq. m. sandwich, depending on its thickness ranges from 15 to 22 kg, while the weight of a brick wall the same size about 500 kg.
- These buildings do not require a powerful basis, which greatly simplifies the construction and further reduces its cost. Enough to install the screw Foundation, which can be performed in one day, and start to build the wall.
- Installation of SIP panels can be made at any time of the year and even in sub-zero temperatures. They are not afraid of possible mechanical damage during bad weather, because they are sturdier and stronger than conventional frame houses 3-4 times.
If you believe the information structural insulated panels (feedback from residents, the pros and cons of this technology, etc.) yet unmatched in price, quality and reliability. As manufacturers are each time looking for ways to make them even cheaper without changing the technical characteristics for the worse, then there is hope that soon canadian house will begin to lead in the number of buildings.
Disadvantages of SIP panels
For over 50 years around the world to build houses on the canadian technology, so we can safely say that it is time-tested. To find structural insulated panels disadvantages, it is very hard, because often complaints are the fault of careless inattentive sellers or buyers. For example:
- We all know it is absolutely safe for human life material and environmentally friendly, but not everyone knows that this applies only to panels in the "E0". There are so-called economic structural insulated panels whose price is much lower, but they are marked by a sign "E3" and is not suitable for building houses, especially for permanent residence in them. Is safe polystyrene, they are insulated in the usual foam. From these panels, it is good to collect ancillary buildings such as a shed for firewood. The problem is that this "fake" as it is called ignorant consumers, produces harmful substances when exposed to heat, but this does not mean that it is impossible to build barns, where human presence is minimal.
Important to know: wanting to build a house of SIP panels for permanent residence, you need to purchase materials to display their certificates not only for quality but also for safety and to check visually, since the foam is easily distinguished from expanded polystyrene. In a pinch you can give them to the examination and its result to decide whether to buy the product or not this producer.
- If you look for the cons of the houses of SIP panels, it is one of the most disturbing is the one that such a structure, if you want, you can destroy and penetrate inside.
- In the case of assumption violations in technology of installation of the SIP panels will be made precarious, and their integrity is easily broken. Expansion joints will be cracks that will have to further strengthen and insulate. You should be clear on the instructions from manufacturers or hire a team of professionals.
- One of the benefits of technology is the tightness that forms the thermos effect. But it also is considered a disadvantage of a material such as structural insulated panels. The disadvantage here is that if you do not spend in the house the vents, then soon you will observe the effect of wet walls, which "come" fungus and mold.
- A prerequisite for the installation of walls of SIP panels is to protect the joints of the lumber or foam in order to avoid the ingress of moisture into the insulation.
As a rule, the technology itself has no flaws, if only manufacturers of structural insulated panels, not evil and for the sake of saving not use cheap materials or not have been violated Assembly rules. The rest of this great building material.
Features of the Foundation for homes of SIP panels
Usually, the house starts with the Foundation, and for prefabricated houses using canadian technology, you can use any kind. Most often used:
- The Foundation on screw piles is the optimal choice as it allows you to build a ventilated cap, which is extremely important for structural insulated panels, which are contraindicated with high humidity. This type of Foundation consists of a steel pipe having ends in the form of a screw. Such a Foundation can serve to more than one hundred years. Its advantage is the possibility to extend the already finished house, adding an addition.
Important: when deciding on the Foundation for the "canadian" house, you need to rely on such indicators as the composition of the soil, the weight of the structure and type of heating and ventilation.
The connection nodes
Assembly of SIP panels should be conducted with careful monitoring of the connections of each part of the structure. The main connections of buildings from sandwich panels are:
- Places of joining of panels of the slab.
- The nodes on the corners of the walls.
- The joints connecting the walls, the ceiling and roof.
- The nodes connecting the roof with structural insulated panels.
It is important to know: all installation work on adjusting the panels should be fastened with screws and fixed with foam.
Decoration house outside
No matter how attractive the form and layout a house of SIP-panels, on the outside it looks quite unattractive. To ensure it not only presentable, but also to protect from weather or mechanical damage, should carry out the finishing work. For homes, collected by the canadian technology, have the following types of works:
- Siding is the application of rectangular plates, mounted one above the other at a certain angle. It is an environmentally friendly, reliable, durable, fire resistant material, with a mount which can handle even a beginner. A variety of textures and colors allows you to give your home the most attractive appearance. Plates can be clipped in any time of the year, they are lightweight so will not affect the overall weight of the structure. This is the most popular way of furnish of houses of SIP panels.
It is important to know: the decorative plaster and natural stone can give a fairly inexpensive house of SIP panels are incredibly attractive, but keep in mind that these materials require professional skills for their installation and are expensive.
The house, assembled on canadian technology, can give the elegance on the outside and comfort inside. The walls of SIP panels are an excellent material for interior decoration, which consists of the following steps:
- Decorating the walls, which can use very different materials: from tile in the kitchen and bathroom to PVC panels, Wallpaper, and drywall in other rooms. The material should be selected proceeding from the condition of the premises, for example, at high humidity the best solution would be the use of plastic, and for additional insulation of walls – decorative plaster or cork Wallpaper.
- The decoration of the ceiling does not require additional alignment, so that we can immediately proceed to its execution. It may be a stretch ceilings or plasterboard finish. To reduce domestic work many consumers use tiles of polystyrene, which is inexpensive, and looks impressive.
- Flooring everyone chooses according to their taste and budget. It can be tile or linoleum, laminate flooring, or Underfloor heating system.
Important to know: when choosing materials for internal finishing works need to focus not so much on their cost as on safety. Some attractive materials change their properties in terms of temperature difference that you should know before purchase.
Today, you can find single storey homes of SIPS panels, so two and three-story mansions. This suggests that the technology, which has more than 50 years, is popular worldwide, has become "entrenched" in the domestic construction market.
This is due to the fact that the possibility of production of finished sandwich panels on the ground is much cheaper material, and consumers now have one goal: to figure out what manufacturer you can trust. The most popular domestic firms are:
- The company "Hotwell", won the hearts of customers not only for its discounts and promotions, but also quality products that do as standards, and under the order. This allows the user to decide what size should be structural insulated panels for his house.
- Plant "Bauen house" is famous not only with its products but with high price, which is hardly surprising, as for the production of SIP-panels it uses material from Germany.
- Firm "Building together" also uses a German parts, but its distinctive quality is to work without intermediaries, which significantly reduces the cost of the panels.
This is not a complete list of domestic manufacturers, who guarantee the quality of their product, but even with the most positive feedback from customers, should be asked to show certificates on the quality and security of their SIP panels.
Tips from the builders
Sometimes inexperienced customers become victims of unscrupulous manufacturers who for the sake of cheapening the process of manufacture of SIPS panels are used obviously poor-quality materials or glue. This leads to the fact that, at first glance, strong house after a winter or two is literally starting to crumble. To avoid this, you need to carefully study all the documents for the products, not only to ask about their availability.
If the choice fell on the Chinese firm, you need to be prepared that their SIP-panels as the insulation is flammable polystyrene foam. Maybe the house of them is not meant to go in the fire, but nobody knows exactly. The cheap stuff is highly flammable and when burning produces harmful to the human body smoke, while the real polystyrene foam is difficult to ignite, but when ignited it rapidly goes out.
Choosing structural insulated panels to build houses, you need to study a firm, get to know, how old is she in the market, what materials used and what kind of equipment produces.