Anyone who has ever caught a grayling will strive to do it again and again. Catching this beautiful fish of the salmon family, which has a dorsal fin that develops like a sail, does not leave anyone indifferent.
Grayling lives in cold rivers and lakes, and feeds on various insects and fish fry.
You can catch grayling from May ‒ June, when spawning will take place and the fish will begin to bite. In this period, wet and dry flies imitating drowned insects are used as bait.
But the real season still comes with the beginning of autumn. At this time, broom-bait on grayling is used, which makes fishing very productive.
What are suitable bait for grayling?
As experienced fishermen say, there is no universal lure, which would be suitable for catching this fish in any water bodies. The device, on which the grayling was perfectly caught in one place, will not be effective in another.
But still there is such a lure for the grayling, which is always available from the fisherman, engaged in his fishing. There are swinging and rotating models, namely, a wobbler and a "spinner".
A wobbler is a type of lure imitating a sick or wounded fish that swings from side to side. It can be found both in the natural color of the fry and in irritating colors. If you choose several of these devices, then the most suitable - which ones? The bauble for grayling is the most widespread - it is a wobbler 4‒5 cm in size and weighing about 5 g. Lure oscillations should be quite frequent, but not sharp. It is desirable to have on hand wobblers of several colors, since this factor is sometimes decisive when catching grayling.
Since the grayling has a small mouth, it cannot grasp a large ball-shaped bait. That is why the wobbler should be flattened from the sides. In addition, it is advisable to have such a spoon of different buoyancy. For a stretch of river with slow flowing water, a floating lure will do, and for a fast-flowing stream - sinking.
If you decide to catch grayling in an unfamiliar body of water, it is best to start with spinners.
Such spinner on grayling in fishermen is called “spinner”. The effectiveness of this bait is due to its double action. In transparent water, the fish reacts to glare propagated by rotating petals, and in muddy water it senses their vibration.
It has been noticed that such a lure on grayling and lenka, with black dots on it, attracts much more fish attention than without them. Pinwheels come in different colors, sizes and shapes. But for grayling it is preferable to choose a heavy model with wide petals.
What are the models of spinners?
Among the variety of rotating and oscillating lures, there are several models that make the grayling the most effective.
Each of them has its advantages:
- Blue Fox is the most popular model. It is both in oscillating and rotating version. As baubles for grayling, it is also suitable because it has very strong hooks. For catching this fish, the second model number is ideal. The color is selected individually (depending on the water body and the time of year).
- Daiwa is considered one of the best catchy baits. The line also has oscillating and rotating models. The balanced design shows excellent results in almost all types of reservoirs with different currents, suitable for catching most fish and all types of wiring. For grayling fishing, gold and silver are considered the most suitable color for bait.
- Mepps Aglia number 2 fishermen call a miracle bait. Its rotating petals easily adapt to the force of the current, while maintaining the desired vibration. As for grayling, it is perfectly caught on a silver-colored model with red stripes.
Spinners best of the best
The popularity and effectiveness of the above models is indisputable. But there are a few more who have dizzying success all over the world and are present in the arsenal of every avid fisherman. They are the best.
Baubles Effzett, as well as baits Heintz and "Spoon."
- Effzett is considered a classic. You need to have it in all sizes, because you can catch any fish on it. Grayling living in large reservoirs is caught on it perfectly, preferring models painted in natural colors of fry. Moreover, the obstacle is neither the casting distance, nor the windy weather, nor the speed of the current.
- Heintz is incredibly catchy. If the throw is done correctly, then the spinner begins to rotate rapidly, causing increased interest in the fish. The most popular are the spinners of copper and silver colors.
- "Spoon" has a wide shape, which is why it is so called. Hitting the water, spinners noise attracts fish. Sinking to the bottom, she creates a kind of play with glitter, to which the fish also reacts.
How to make spinners with your own hands?
Despite such a variety of types of finished products, many fishermen prefer home-made spinners to catch grayling. They are usually made from lead. Their priority is that they are quite heavy and you can throw them far away.
To make them easier: lead is melted in a can and a thin layer (1-1.5 mm) is poured into a cardboard box, where the plate instantly hardens. Then it is cut with a knife into strips of 2x7 cm, and the curve and the desired shape are attached using pliers. After that, homemade spinners on one side are painted in red, and on the other - colorless varnish and decorated to your liking.
How to catch grayling?
Although the grayling is a predatory fish, it will not overtake the prey, which swims very quickly. Therefore, catching grayling on a lure has its own characteristics.
This method is considered effective:
- you need to go into the water, stopping at about 1 m from the rolling, namely on the border of the shallow and deep stretch of the river;
- the lure should be thrown on the roll (on its calm stretch) and then slowly lead to its beginning.
Poklevka usually occurs at the moment when the spoon gets into the most peaceful place of the reservoir. This is due to the fact that the grayling prefers such boundary places where calm water and fast current meet.
When fishing for grayling, much, if not everything, depends on the correct casting and wiring. The classic option is considered to be slow wiring against the flow, which is produced after cross-casting. In this case, the fishing line should also be slow, with pauses. The lure is moving against the stream towards the shore.
As for autumn grayling, there are some nuances here too. At this time, the fish rises closer to the surface to get food. Therefore, the bait should be easier, from this its quality only increases.
Using all of the above tips, you will learn how to choose the baits for grayling and your fishing will be successful.