Folding knife is a cold weapon in which the blade is hiding in the handle. Modern models are equipped with devices that allow you to open knives with one hand. To fix the blade in the open state, the products are supplemented with special locks.
The main thing is the blade
The main thing in a folding knife is a blade, which is created from steel, resistant to corrosion. But cheap models are made from simple stainless steel. When choosing a folding knife, remember that the better the quality of steel, the longer the blade will be in sharpened condition. On the other hand, the cutting edge will become fragile, so correcting the knife with your own efforts will not be easy.
The quality of the blade directly depends on the technology of thermal hardening of steel, which is used by a specific manufacturer. If this process is performed correctly, even cheap knives will have good cutting properties. When using these products, it is worth remembering that the blade is sensitive to high temperatures.
Any folding knife is characterized by the type of blade that has different characteristics:
- The blade can be made with a different surface - polished, matte, burnished, chrome or with a special protective coating.
- Polishing the blade is an opportunity to improve its resistance to corrosion, but this process will lead to the creation of a shiny surface that interferes with tactical knives.
- Matting contributes to an increase in the anti-glare properties of the surface, but worsens its resistance to corrosion.
- Burning leads to the formation of a thin layer of protective film and darkening of the surface.
- Chrome plating of the surface serves as a protection against corrosion.
In modern models, the blade is made of different materials - epoxy resins, Teflon, they are highly resistant to moisture, acid and alkaline environments. But an increasing number of blades are made from cheap Damascus steel, thanks to which beautiful patterns appear on the knives.
A folding knife with a Damascus steel blade has a spectacular surface, but there is a risk that you can buy defective items. The edge of good knives is created from the strips of low-carbon steel, due to which it is ductile, and high-carbon steels, which affect the hardness of the cutting edge.
Folding knives can be supplemented by blades of different shapes:
- classical blade or straight, or converges to the point, it is advisable to use it in everyday life, but its strength is small because of the reduction in thickness to the point;
- the blade is convex or wavy in shape and has improved cutting properties, so that the surface can easily be broken;
- flat-bended blade makes folding knives excellent in operation, because they combine high strength and sharpness of the blade, but such products are difficult to sharpen;
- chisel blade - the most technological and easy to sharpen, therefore it is used on blades of Asian knives; thanks to its excellent cutting properties, it copes well with the cutting of loose materials;
- the wedge-shaped profile has excellent cutting properties, but the edge is brittle, and the sharpening is complex;
- penta wedge differs in manufacturability, strength, good cutting qualities, but it is not easy to sharpen the cutting edge.
Simple folding knives (photo shows all their variety) can additionally be equipped with an awl, corkscrew, can opener or bottle opener. And if the models are bought for self-defense, they can have two working blades that allow the target to be hit directly and backhand, without changing the orientation of the knife.
The handle in most models is a batch-type construction, which includes an internal frame in the form of metal strips and linings. Inside the handle are the elements that fix the blade, as well as the mechanisms of automatic opening.