A folding knife is a cold weapon in which the blade hides in the handle. Modern models are equipped with devices to open the knives with one hand. To the blade was fixed in the open state, the products are complemented by special locks.
The main thing - the blade
The main thing in the folding knife is the blade, which is created from steel, resistant to corrosion. But cheap models are made from simple stainless steel. When choosing a folding knife, remember that the better the quality of steel, the longer the blade will be in the sharpened state. On the other hand, the cutting edge will become brittle, therefore, straightening the knife with its own efforts will be difficult.
The quality of the blade depends on the technology of thermal hardening of steel, which is used by a specific manufacturer. If this process is done correctly, even cheap knives will have good cutting properties. When operating these products, it is worth remembering that the blade is sensitive to high temperatures.
Any folding knife is distinguished by the type of blade, which has different characteristics:
- The blade can be made with a different surface - polished, matte, blued, chrome or with a special protective coating.
- Blade polishing is an opportunity to improve its corrosion resistance, but this process will lead to the creation of a shiny surface that interferes with tactical knives.
- Matting improves the anti-glare properties of the surface, but worsens its resistance to corrosion.
- Burning leads to the formation of a thin layer of protective film and darkening of the surface.
- Chrome plating surface serves as corrosion protection.
In modern models, the blade is created from different materials - epoxy resins, Teflon, they are highly resistant to moisture, acid and alkaline environments. But an increasing number of blades are made of cheap Damascus steel, thanks to which beautiful patterns appear on knives.
A folding knife with a blade of Damascus steel has a spectacular surface, but there is a risk that you can buy defective products. The edge of good knives is created from strips of low carbon steel, thanks to which it is ductile, and high carbon steels, which affect the increase in hardness of the cutting edge.
Folding knives can be complemented by blades of different shapes:
- classic blade or straight, or converges to the tip, it is advisable to use it in everyday life, but its strength is small due to the reduction in thickness to the tip;
- a convex or undulating blade has enhanced cutting properties, making the surface easy to rip;
- a flat-wedge blade makes folding knives excellent in operation, as they combine high strength and sharpness of the blade, but such products are difficult to sharpen;
- chisel blade - the most technologically advanced and easiest to sharpen, therefore it is used on the blades of Asian knives; due to its excellent chopping properties, it copes well with cutting loose materials;
- the wedge-shaped profile has excellent cutting properties, but the edge is fragile, and sharpening is complicated;
- the pentahedral wedge is distinguished by its manufacturability, durability, and good cutting qualities, but it is not easy to sharpen the cutting edge.
Simple folding knives (the photo shows all their variety) can be additionally equipped with an awl, a corkscrew, a can opener or a bottle opener. And if the models are bought for self-defense, they can have two working blades that allow you to hit the target directly and in reverse with the hand without changing the orientation of the knife.
The handle of most models is a packaged typesetting design, which includes an internal frame in the form of strips of metal and overlays. Inside the handle there are elements fixing the blade, as well as automatic opening mechanisms.