Swelling of the legs can be observed in any person. Often this state is preceded by excessive loads. This can be a long standing position, a long walk. Wearing cramped clothing, uncomfortable shoes that pinch blood vessels leads to puffiness. But sometimes this problem is the symptoms of various ailments. And in some cases - quite serious. Therefore, we will consider if the legs are swollen, what to do with such manifestations.
Why are my legs swollen? Unfortunately, there is no definite answer. Doctors identify many different causes that lead to swelling of the lower extremities. Among them a special place is occupied by harmless sources. As a rule, they are associated with abnormal habits, negative lifestyle. In this case, it is easy to understand if a person’s legs are swollen, what to do. Just fix your lifestyle.
The main causes of swelling of the legs are:
- Improper nutrition. According to statistics, this is the main source of unpleasant conditions. An unbalanced diet leads to fluid retention.
- Consuming large amounts of salt. It retains fluid in the body. The heart does not have time to cope with such a load. As a result, blood stagnation occurs. As a rule, it is in the lower limbs.
- Long or excessive loads. Edema can cause an uncomfortable position, long walk. Any load on the legs, especially for an unfamiliar person, can cause an unpleasant effect.
- Overweight. The heart of such people is much harder to push blood through adipose tissue.
- Age changes. Often there is a strong swelling of the legs in the elderly. With age, the vessels lose their elasticity. In addition, such persons can be diagnosed pathology, which can also cause swelling.
Sometimes completely different sources provoke a swelling of the legs. Causes may be hidden in pathologies developing in the body. Only a specialist can determine what causes these symptoms. Therefore, people who observe systematic swelling, it is recommended to definitely go to the doctor. Only a doctor can recommend, if the legs have become very swollen, what to do in such a situation.
Among the diseases that can provoke this situation, the following are distinguished:
- Varicose veins. Edema of the extremities is the initial stage of pathology. Often this condition is observed in the evening. In this case, the patient experiences a feeling of heaviness, pain, numbness, fatigue.
- Heart failure. With this pathology, the swelling is observed in the evening, because the heart “gets tired” to pump blood during the day. In the morning, this symptom almost does not occur. Puffiness may be accompanied by a bluish shade of the legs. There is shortness of breath, increased pressure. Patients usually experience heart pain. In addition, they are characterized by fatigue. Sometimes legs and feet become swollen. In some cases, only the fingers are affected. It depends entirely on the heart. Rather, on how the body can not cope with its function.
- Thrombophlebitis. This is a disease in which blood clots form in the lumen of the veins. Puffiness of the legs is accompanied by unpleasant symptoms: tingling, numbness, "crawling goosebumps." With the disease may be an increase in temperature. Inactivity can lead to pulmonary embolism. In other words, a thrombus can tear off and block the vein. As a result, death will come.
- Renal pathology. As a rule, swelling is observed on both legs. In this case, mainly the back side suffers. The patient does not experience itching, pain. Dark circles under the eyes, eyelid edema may indicate kidney problems. The color of urine changes, a decrease in its quantity is observed. In addition, edema is observed not only in the evening, when the legs are tired. Unpleasant symptoms appear in the morning.
- Thyroid ailments. Such pathologies can also cause swelling of the legs. Typically, this symptom is accompanied by lethargy, chilliness, drowsiness, and a tendency to constipation. There may be swelling of the shoulders, tongue.
- Liver disease. Unpleasant symptoms often provoke cirrhosis. In this case, the patient may experience: jaundice, exhaustion, fluid accumulation in the body cavities, skin itch.
Local sources of puffiness
Some disorders can cause severe swelling of the legs. The causes are hidden in a variety of pathologies:
- injuries, fractures, bruises;
- allergic reactions;
- rheumatoid arthritis;
- snake bites, insects.
Edema during pregnancy
Almost all women who are preparing to become mothers face a similar problem. The question arises: if the legs become very swollen during pregnancy, what to do? Initially, it is necessary to determine the reason for which this symptom is observed. Indeed, most often the swelling is caused by physiological changes and is temporary.
The following reasons may cause severe swelling of the legs during pregnancy:
- Enlarged uterus. The growing organ squeezes the veins located in the pelvis. This leads to impaired blood flow. As a result, there is swelling of the legs. As a rule, in a horizontal position, the uterus stops pressing on organs and vessels. Puffiness quickly passes.
- Power change. Very often pregnant women abuse salty foods. After all, they just pulls on salt. To eliminate such symptoms, you should limit the use of salt.
- Gestosis 2 halves of pregnancy. This is a rather unpleasant reason. The woman may experience an increase in pressure, headache. In this pathology, not only the legs, but also the hands and face swell. In this situation, the expectant mother requires adequate inpatient treatment.
Despite the fact that most often the cause of this symptom is a physiological cause, it is necessary to consult a doctor if a woman noticed that her legs become very swollen during pregnancy. What to do in such a situation, only the doctor will say.
It is strictly forbidden to resort to diuretics without the appointment of a specialist. A pregnant woman should understand that such drugs affect not only her, but also the body crumbs. Some of the diuretics can flush out the minerals necessary for the full development of the baby.
Symptoms of puffiness
Unfortunately, some people can not always identify such a state. Unpleasant manifestations are completely ignored. A person notices a negative state only when the swelling is clearly visible visually. But, as a rule, in this case, the illnesses that develop in the body are already progressing. There are several simple recommendations to identify pathology.
So, if you have become very swollen legs, then use the tips:
- Unpleasant symptoms can be determined by the increased volume of feet, legs.
- On the swelling say strip, remaining after removing the sock or shoes.
- When you press your finger on the skin on the surface remains a trace. It will quickly disappear, but this phenomenon indicates swelling.
Do not forget that you should not joke with such symptoms. Therefore, we consider the following question: “If the legs have become very swollen, what to do?”
Patients who have severely swollen legs and hurt, it is recommended to start with a visit to the doctor. Indeed, sometimes unpleasant symptoms provoke illnesses. It should be remembered that the fight against pathologies alone is extremely dangerous. Therapy will be selected depending on what disease provoked a severe swelling of the legs.
The treatment is recommended as follows:
- Varicose veins. In the initial stages of coping with discomfort is quite simple. The doctor will prescribe a special ointment that will eliminate the swelling. If necessary, wearing special stockings or wrapping limbs with elastic bandages will be recommended. It is necessary to periodically make cold baths for the legs, do gymnastics. During sleep, it is recommended to put the limbs on the dais. This will ensure free blood flow.
- Heart failure. With this pathology, treatment is prescribed only by a cardiologist. Therapeutic measures include: the appointment of diuretic drugs, drugs that support the functioning of the heart. The doctor will prescribe medicines that can fight the main disease (hypertension, atherosclerosis, ischemia). The patient is recommended to engage in gymnastics, to adjust the power. As a rule, with this pathology, the feet in the ankle swell a lot. What to do? Patients are often prescribed wearing elastic stockings.
- Thrombophlebitis. Therapy is prescribed by a phlebologist. In case of pathology provoked by infectious diseases, antibiotic therapy is prescribed. In some cases, surgery may be recommended.
- Renal pathology. The patient needs treatment. Therapy is prescribed by a nephrologist.
- Liver disease. The patient must be observed by a hepatologist. If symptoms are provoked by viral hepatitis, then consultation of an infectious disease specialist is necessary.
How to relieve fatigue?
Unpleasant condition often provoke harmless causes. Sometimes as a result of excessive loads, fatigue, the legs swell a lot. What to do in this situation?
It is recommended to resort to the following activities:
- Special baths. However, it should be remembered that with dilated veins, this procedure is contraindicated. So, if the feet in the ankle are very swollen, what should I do? It is recommended to resort to contrasting trays. Hold your feet for 5 minutes in hot water. Then lower for 10 seconds in the cold. It is recommended to add salt and herbs to the water.
- Massage. This event is very useful for tired legs. Use an ointment or cream. Lightly rub the medication in the foot, ankle, calf.
- Lift the limbs up. Relax on the couch. At the same time, put a roller under your feet. Feet should be loose. It is possible in a sitting position to put the limbs on a chair or stool. Enough to spend in this position for 15-20 minutes.
- Medical stockings, panty hoses. Such funds can be easily purchased at the pharmacy. They allow you to relieve feet from fatigue. In addition, tights and stockings are an excellent prophylactic against varicose veins.
- Cold compresses. They are able to quickly get rid of puffiness. You can use this method with tired legs. It is quite effective in edema, provoked by inflammatory processes.
It is the fluid retention in the body that causes severe swelling of the legs. Treatment includes diuretic drugs. However, such medicines can be prescribed exclusively by a doctor, since they all have contraindications and can cause a variety of side effects in a person.
However, there are still folk remedies that allow to achieve the desired result. They have fewer contraindications, and often do not cause negative reactions. However, before using these recipes, be sure to consult with a specialist.
The following agents have a diuretic effect:
- Parsley infusion. It is necessary to thoroughly wash the whole plant (with the root). Pass it through the meat grinder. For the manufacture of medicines will need 1 cup of green composition. Transfer the resulting mass to a thermos. Pour boiling water - 0.5 liters. During the night, this remedy should be infused in a thermos. In the morning, strain the composition. To this tool should add the juice of 1 lemon. This amount of medication is designed for 1 day. It should be drunk in 3 doses. The use of infusion does not depend on the adoption of food. The treatment scheme for this tool is as follows. For 2 days you must take parsley infusion. Then a short break is taken - for 3 days. And again the 2-day course is repeated.
- Flax seeds. They also help remove excess fluid from the body. You will need 1 tsp. Flaxseed. This component is poured 1 liter of boiling water. The mixture must be boiled on a small light for about 15 minutes. Then close the pan tightly and leave the broth in the heat for about 1 hour. It is recommended to use this tool in hot form. Every 2 hours should drink 0.5 glass of medication. During the day, get 6-8 receptions. This therapy should last about 2-3 weeks. Its duration depends entirely on the patient's well-being.
- Drug collection. It is necessary to mix the following components in equal proportions: calendula flowers, lindens; hawthorn, wild rose, viburnum; leaves of birch, blueberry, plantain. Grind all ingredients thoroughly and mix. This composition you will need 2 tbsp. l Pour boiling water over them - 0.5 l. Such a tool should insist in a thermos all night. Take the medicine should be 3-4 times a day for ⅓ - ¼ cup. The duration of therapy may be 2-3 months.
- Watermelon peel. It is necessary to grind the dry component. Fill it with water in proportion: 1:10. Boil such a composition should be about 5 minutes. Strain the broth. Should take 0.5 cups 3-4 times a day.
- decoction of birch buds;
- cranberry juice;
- decoction of bearberry leaves;
- cowberry juice;
- infusion of horsetail.
If unpleasant discomfort is provoked by improper nutrition, you should definitely revise it. As a rule, such measures are enough to get rid of discomfort.
Often doctors recommend the following:
- Exclude salt. It is desirable to reduce such seasoning to a minimum if it is not possible to completely abandon it. In some cases, doctors prescribe a salt-free diet to the patient.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Refuse to take coffee, alcoholic beverages.
- Diversify your diet with vegetable dishes. Very useful food, steamed.
If diuretics are prescribed to the patient, then you should use products that protect the body from leaching of potassium. These properties have dried apricots, beans, baked potatoes, cabbage.
It is useful to enter into the diet foods that are different diuretic effect: celery, pumpkin, garlic, parsley. It is recommended to diversify the diet with the following food: onions, watermelons, black currants, grapes. We should not forget about fermented milk products - yogurt, cottage cheese, kefir.
Gymnastics with edema
These activities are very useful. They will relieve the patient from discomfort if the ankles of the legs swell as a result of wearing tight shoes or tiredness.
The following exercises are recommended:
- You can perform in a standing or sitting position. It is necessary to alternately press the toe to the floor surface, then the heel.
- A few minutes (1-2) walk around the room on the toes.
- Try to pick up a pencil or a small ball from the floor surface. Exercise should be performed barefoot. Hands should not help.
- Squeeze your toes. Then spread them. Do this exercise several times.
- Rotate your feet. Describe their circles in one direction, then the other.
Be sure to consult a doctor if there is a very strong leg swelling. In most cases, the doctor will recommend the use of ointment. However, it should not be forgotten that this remedy is a medicine. Therefore, to resort to self-therapy is extremely undesirable.
The doctor may prescribe the following means to effectively get rid of the swelling of the lower extremities:
- Heparin ointment. It stimulates blood circulation in the damaged area. This ointment is capable of dissolving microscopic thrombi. In addition, it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- "Essaven gel". The drug has a beneficial effect on the damaged area. The gel strengthens the walls of veins, capillaries. The drug significantly improves blood circulation and is able to eliminate microthrombi.
- "Venitan". The drug is based on horse chestnut extract. Ointment perfectly strengthens the walls of blood vessels.
- "Troxevasin". The drug has a cooling effect and an anesthetic effect on the body. This ointment also helps to strengthen the veins and capillaries.
Now you know the answer to the question: “If your legs are swollen, what to do?” However, remember that it is important to correctly establish the cause of the problem. Unpleasant symptoms are the consequences of a disease developing in the body. Therefore, to get rid of puffiness, it is necessary to eliminate its cause.