Swelling of the legs can be observed in any person. Often, such a state is preceded by excessive loads. This can be a long standing in a standing position, a long walk. Puffiness is caused by wearing tight clothes, uncomfortable shoes, which compresses the blood vessels. But sometimes this problem is a symptom of various ailments. And in some cases - quite serious. Therefore, consider if the legs are swollen, what to do with such manifestations.
Why do feet swell? Unfortunately, there is no definite answer. Doctors distinguish many different causes that lead to swelling of the lower extremities. Among them a special place is occupied by innocuous sources. As a rule, they are associated with wrong habits, a negative way of life. In this case, it is easy to understand if a person has swollen legs, what to do. Just fix your lifestyle.
The main causes of edema of the legs are:
- Incorrect food. According to statistics, this is the main source of an unpleasant condition. Unbalanced diet leads to fluid retention in the body.
- Drinking plenty of salt. It detains fluid in the body. The heart does not manage to cope with such a load. As a result, blood stagnation occurs. As a rule, it is in the lower extremities.
- Prolonged or excessive loads. Swelling can provoke being in an uncomfortable position, a long walk. Any strain on the legs, especially for an unaccustomed person, can cause an unpleasant effect.
- Overweight. The heart of such people is much harder to push blood through fatty tissues.
- Age changes. Often observed a strong swelling of the legs in the elderly. With age, the vessels lose their elasticity. In addition, such individuals can be diagnosed with pathologies that are also capable of causing swelling.
Sometimes completely different sources provoke severe swelling of the legs. The causes can be hidden in the pathologies developing in the body. To determine what caused this symptomatology, only a specialist can. Therefore, people who observe a systematic puffiness, it is recommended to go to the doctor. Only a doctor can recommend if they become swollen legs, what to do in this situation.
Among the diseases that can provoke this situation, identify the following:
- Varicose veins. Puffiness of the extremities is the initial stage of pathology. Often, this condition is observed in the evening. In this case, the patient experiences a feeling of heaviness, pain, numbness, fatigue.
- Heart failure. With such a pathology, puffiness is observed in the evening, as for the day the heart "gets tired" to pump blood. In the morning, this symptomatology practically does not arise. Puffiness can be accompanied by a cyanotic shade of the feet. Dyspnea is observed, pressure is increased. As a rule, patients experience pain in the heart. In addition, they are characterized by rapid fatigue. Sometimes the feet and feet are swollen. In some cases, only the fingers suffer. It totally depends on the heart. Rather, on how much the body does not cope with its function.
- Thrombophlebitis. It is an ailment in which thrombi form in the lumen of the veins. Swelling of the legs is accompanied by unpleasant symptoms: tingling, numbness, "crawling crawling." With an illness, an increase in temperature may be observed. Inaction can lead to thromboembolism of the pulmonary artery. In other words, a thrombus can come off and block the vein. As a result, death will come.
- Kidney pathology. As a rule, puffiness is observed on both legs. In this case, the backside suffers mainly. The patient does not experience itching, pain. On the problems with the kidneys can testify to dark circles under the eyes, swelling of the eyelids. The color of urine changes, a decrease in its amount is observed. In addition, edema is observed not only in the evening, when the legs are tired. Unpleasant symptoms appear in the morning.
- Illnesses are thyroid. Such pathologies can also cause swelling of the legs. As a rule, such a symptom is accompanied by lethargy, chilliness, drowsiness, propensity to constipation. Can be observed swelling of the shoulders, tongue.
- Diseases of the liver. Unpleasant symptoms often provoke cirrhosis. In this case, the patient can be observed: jaundice, exhaustion, fluid accumulation in the body cavities, itching.
Local sources of swelling
Some disorders can cause severe swelling of the legs. The causes are hidden in a variety of pathologies:
- injuries, fractures, bruises;
- allergic reactions;
- rheumatoid arthritis;
- snake bites, insects.
Swelling in pregnancy
Almost all women who are preparing to become mothers are faced with a similar problem. The question arises: if the legs are swollen during pregnancy, what should I do? Initially, determine the reason for this symptomatology. After all, most of the puffiness is caused by physiological changes and is temporary.
Severe swelling of the legs during pregnancy can cause the following reasons:
- Uterus enlargement. The growing organ squeezes the veins located in the pelvis. This leads to a violation of blood flow. As a result, swelling of the legs is observed. As a rule, with a horizontal position, the uterus ceases to press on organs and vessels. Puffiness quickly passes.
- Changing the power. Very often pregnant women abuse salty foods. After all, they just pull on salted. To eliminate this symptomatology, you should limit the use of table salt.
- Gestosis 2 half of pregnancy. This is a rather unpleasant reason. A woman may have an increase in pressure, a headache. In this pathology, not only the legs, but also the hands and face become swollen. In this situation, a future mother needs adequate treatment in a hospital.
Despite the fact that most often the culprit of this symptom is the physiological cause, it is necessary to consult a doctor if the woman noticed that the legs swell during pregnancy. What to do in this situation, only the doctor will say.
It is strictly forbidden to resort to diuretics without the appointment of a specialist. A pregnant woman should understand that such drugs affect not only her, but also the body crumbs. Some of the diuretics can wash away the minerals necessary for the full development of the baby.
Symptoms of swelling
Unfortunately, some people can not always determine such a state. Unpleasant manifestations are completely ignored. A person notices a negative state only when the puffiness is clearly visible visually. But, as a rule, in this case the ailments developing in the body are already progressing. There are a few simple recommendations to identify pathology.
So, if you have become very swollen legs, then take advice:
- Unpleasant symptomatology can be determined by the increased volume of feet, shins.
- About puffiness, the stripes left after the removed toe or shoes are said.
- When pressing a finger on the skin on the surface remains a trace. It will quickly disappear, but this phenomenon indicates swelling.
Do not forget that joking with such symptoms is not worth it. Therefore, consider the following question: "If the legs become swollen, what should I do?"
Methods of treatment
Patients who have swollen feet and aching, it is recommended to begin with a visit to the doctor. After all, sometimes unpleasant symptoms provoke ailments. It should be remembered that it is extremely dangerous to struggle with pathologies independently. The therapy will be selected depending on what kind of illness caused by severe swelling of the legs.
Treatment is recommended as follows:
- Varicose veins. At the initial stages, coping with unpleasant sensations is fairly easy. The doctor will prescribe a special ointment that will eliminate puffiness. If necessary, it will be recommended to wear special stockings or wrap limbs with elastic bandages. It is necessary to periodically make cold baths for the feet, to do gymnastics. During sleep, it is recommended that you put your limbs on a raised platform. This will provide free blood flow.
- Heart failure. With this pathology, the treatment is prescribed only by the cardiologist. Therapeutic measures include: the appointment of diuretics, drugs that support the functioning of the heart. The doctor will prescribe medications that can fight the underlying ailment (hypertension, atherosclerosis, ischemia). The patient is recommended to do gymnastics, to establish nutrition. As a rule, with this pathology, the legs in the ankle strongly swell. What to do? Patients are often assigned to wear elastic stockings.
- Thrombophlebitis. Therapy is prescribed by phlebologist. In pathology, provoked by infectious diseases, antibiotic therapy is prescribed. In some cases, surgery may be recommended.
- Kidney pathology. The patient needs treatment. Therapy is prescribed by the nephrologist.
- Diseases of the liver. The patient must be observed at the hepatologist. If the symptoms are provoked by viral hepatitis, then an infectious disease specialist is needed.
How to relieve fatigue?
An unpleasant state is most often provoked by innocuous causes. Sometimes as a result of excessive loads, fatigue, legs swell. What to do in this situation?
It is recommended to resort to the following measures:
- Special baths. However, it should be remembered that with advanced veins, this procedure is contraindicated. So, if the legs in the ankle strongly swell, what should I do? It is recommended to resort to contrasting trays. Hold the feet for 5 minutes in hot water. Then lower it for 10 seconds into a cold one. In the water it is recommended to add salt and herbs.
- Massage. This exercise is very useful for tired legs. Use ointment or cream. With light movements, rub the medicine into your feet, ankles, calves.
- Lift the limbs up. Sit comfortably on the couch. At the same time, place a roller under the feet. The feet should hang freely. You can put your limbs on a chair or stool in a sitting position. It is enough to spend 15-20 minutes in this position.
- Medical stockings, tights. Such funds can be easily purchased at the pharmacy. They allow you to save your legs from fatigue. In addition, tights and stockings are an excellent preventive against varicose veins.
- Cold compresses. They can quickly get rid of puffiness. Use this method is possible with fatigue of the feet. It is quite effective in swelling, provoked by inflammatory processes.
It is the fluid retention in the body that causes severe swelling of the legs. Treatment includes diuretics. However, such medications can only be prescribed by a doctor, since they all have contraindications and can cause a variety of side effects in a person.
However, there are still folk remedies that make it possible to achieve the desired result. They have fewer contraindications, and often do not cause negative reactions. However, before using such recipes, be sure to consult with a specialist.
Diuretic effect is possessed by the following means:
- Infusion of parsley. It is necessary to thoroughly clean the whole plant (with root). Pass it through the meat grinder. To make the medicine you need 1 glass of green composition. Transfer the resulting mass into a thermos bottle. Pour boiling water - 0.5 liters. Over the night, this product should be infused in a thermos bottle. In the morning strain the composition. To this remedy, juice of 1 lemon should be added. This amount of medicine is calculated for 1 day. It should be drunk in 3 divided doses. The use of infusion is completely independent of taking food. The treatment scheme for this agent is as follows. For 2 days it is necessary to take infusion of parsley. Then a short break is made - for 3 days. Again, a 2-day course is repeated.
- Flax seeds. They also help to remove excess fluid from the body. You will need 1 tsp. Flaxseed. This component is filled with 1 liter of boiling water. The mixture must be boiled in a small flame for 15 minutes. Then close the saucepan tightly and insist the broth in the heat for about 1 hour. It is recommended to use this product in a hot form. After every 2 hours, you should drink 0.5 glasses of medication. During the day, you will get 6-8 receptions. Such therapy should last about 2-3 weeks. Its duration depends entirely on the patient's well-being.
- Medicinal collection. It is necessary to mix in the following proportions the following components: calendula flowers, linden; fruits of hawthorn, dog rose, viburnum; leaves of birch, blueberry, plantain. Thoroughly grind all the ingredients and mix them. This composition you need 2 tbsp. l. Pour them with boiling water - 0.5 liters. Such a remedy must be infused in the thermos all night. Take the medicine should be 3-4 times a day for ⅓ - ¼ cup. The duration of therapy can be 2-3 months.
- Watermelon peel. It is necessary to grind the dry component. Fill it with water in the proportion: 1:10. Boil this composition for about 5 minutes. Cool the decoction. Take should be 0.5 cup 3-4 times a day.
- decoction of birch buds;
- cranberry juice;
- decoction of leaves of bearberry;
- juice of cranberries;
- infusion of field horsetail.
Recommendations on the diet
If unpleasant discomfort is caused by an improper diet, you should definitely revise it. As a rule, such measures are enough to get rid of discomfort.
Often doctors recommend the following:
- Exclude salt. It is desirable to reduce such a seasoning to a minimum, if you completely refuse it. In some cases, doctors appoint a patient a salt-free diet.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Refuse to take coffee, alcoholic beverages.
- Diversify your diet with vegetable dishes. The food cooked on pair is very useful.
If the patient is prescribed diuretics, then you should eat foods that protect the body from washing away potassium. Such properties have dried apricots, kidney beans, baked potatoes, cabbage.
It is useful to introduce into the diet foods that differ diuretic effect: celery, pumpkin, garlic, parsley. It is recommended to diversify the diet with the following food: onions, watermelons, black currants, grapes. Do not forget about sour-milk products - yogurt, cottage cheese, kefir.
Gymnastics for edema
Very useful for these events. They will relieve the patient of discomfort if the ankles of the legs swell strongly as a result of wearing tight shoes or fatigue.
The following exercises are recommended:
- You can perform in a standing or sitting position. It is necessary to press the toe alternately to the floor surface, then the heel.
- A few minutes (1-2) walk around the room on your toes.
- Try to lift from the surface of the floor a pencil or a small ball. Exercise should be done with bare feet. Hands should not help.
- Squeeze your toes. Then spread them out. Do this exercise several times.
- Turn your feet. Describe them circles in one direction, then in the other.
Be sure to consult a doctor if there is a very severe swelling of the legs. In most cases, the doctor will recommend using an ointment. However, do not forget that this tool is a medicine. Therefore, it is extremely undesirable to resort to self-therapy.
The doctor can prescribe the following remedies, allowing effectively to get rid of swelling of the lower extremities:
- Heparin ointment. It stimulates blood circulation in the damaged area. This ointment can dissolve microscopic blood clots. In addition, it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Essaven gel. The medicine favorably affects the damaged area. The gel strengthens the walls of veins and capillaries. The drug significantly improves blood circulation and is able to eliminate microthrombi.
- "Venitan". The medication is based on the extraction of horse chestnut. Ointment perfectly strengthens the walls of the vessels.
- "Troxevasin." The drug is characterized by a cooling effect and an anesthetic effect on the body. This ointment also helps strengthen the veins, capillaries.
Now you know the answer to the question: "If the legs are swollen, what should I do?" However, remember that it is important to correctly identify the cause of the problem. Unpleasant symptomatology is the consequences of an ailment developing in the body. Therefore, in order to get rid of puffiness, it is necessary to eliminate its cause.