A natural stage in the development of marketing technologies has become native advertising. Negative attitude to obsessive messages led to the formation of a fundamentally new form of promotion of goods and services.
Native advertising is a way of conveying information to the consumer, when it is presented, as part of the content and is not identified as advertising. Thus, the target audience does not have a negative attitude towards it.
We can say that native advertising as it merges with the main information flow, fully consistent with the style and content of the web page. Thus, the appeal to the consumer is natural and unobtrusive. Such advertising does not interfere with the user, but rather looks like an answer to his questions.
A bit of history
Despite the fact that in domestic marketing native advertising is perceived as a novelty, in fact, it has a fairly long history. So, this phenomenon became widespread in the USA in the 1880s. It was then that manufacturers of goods and services felt an urgent need to stand out against the background of the standard calls to “buy” or “try”.
One of the most striking examples of the first native advertising can be considered the magazine The Furrow, which specialized in agricultural topics. Thus, between the information articles were placed separate blocks about the products that the farm produces, owned by the owner of the publication.
By the twentieth century, native advertising has acquired a new form, which was associated with the development of television and radio. So, the most striking example can be considered the use of the daily series by the company Procter \u0026 Gamble as an information platform. By the way, this explains the origin of such an expression as “soap opera”.
A new era in the history of advertising began with the advent of the Internet. Initially, it took the form of search ads. Later, the native format replaced intrusive banners.
To effectively promote a product or service, it is important to choose the right types of native advertising. So, the following are distinguished:
- Sponsored content involves placing information on the site, which enjoys wide popularity and trust. The content of the article corresponds to the General concept of a resource and is not an advertisement, and sort of useful advice. This can be used not only to known sites and accounts of celebrities but also movies and TV shows. This is the most expensive technique that is popular among large brands.
- The recommended content is most prevalent at the moment. For example, reading the informational article, often you can see additional links to texts on the subject. In this case we are talking about really useful information in which there is mention of a specific product or service.
- Given the growing popularity of social networks, they have become one of the best sites for native advertising. Compared to the previous versions this format is the most affordable. In addition, due to the seamless integration of posts in the news feed is provided by the widest audience.
Advantages of native advertising
Natural advertising has a number of advantages over other types and means. So, the following can be considered as the most significant:
- the ability to present the material in expanded form (full text, multimedia data, links, etc.);
- good perception of material not only from computer devices, but also through the mobile Internet;
- due to the absence of aggressive advertising banners and other intrusive messages, the brand's reputation among potential customers is improved;
- natural advertising cannot be blocked by means of special software products (with the exception of its individual elements);
- similar advertising is characterized by a large number of views compared to familiar banners that users are accustomed to ignore.
Native advertising, despite the undeniable advantages, has several significant drawbacks. These factors include:
Native advertising: examples
People far from all the intricacies of marketing, may not be immediately clear the essence of this concept. Many do not even suspect that they are dealing with such a phenomenon as native advertising. Examples will help to understand:
Doing native advertising is quite difficult. In order for it to be the most effective, you should follow these recommendations:
- information should be valuable to the consumer, and therefore there should be a minimum of advertising and a maximum of practical information (the brand should be mentioned only indirectly);
- you need to choose the most efficient format for presenting information that would be appropriate in the context of a specific resource;
- you should not flirt with the reader and fake, arguing that the material does not have a commercial background (consumer appreciates honesty);
- the multiplatform approach works best when advertising is placed on several sites of different nature at once.
How to draw attention to native advertising
In any ad, the most important thing is to get attention to it. So, to attract the audience to the native format, you need the following:
- First you need to gain confidence. Thus, the first publications should be “loud” and as informative as possible.
- As an advertising agent and the advertising client is directly responsible for its content. Thus, the information in the message should be as helpful and truthful. Also, before you post information on its site, is familiar with the activities of the brand. So, the message unscrupulous advertiser can ruin the reputation of the resource.
- Given the content of the resource, and the type of product (or service), there are games and information advertising formats. Forming a message, consider which of the types will be better perceived by the target audience.
Examples of successful native advertising
This phenomenon, despite its proven effectiveness, is still poorly understood by domestic marketers. Therefore, you should pay attention to the most successful samples in foreign practice. The best native ads are as follows:
- The producer of Guinness beer released a leaflet which contained information about the main varieties of oysters and rules for their use. Thus, the user will not be able to pass this useful information, which simply stated that it is best to consume seafood with this beer.
- Users respond well to criticism that successfully used in their viral ad for Microsoft employees. So the video calls to use the new version of Internet Explorer, honestly acknowledging that the previous version was a failure, but the new product will be fundamentally different from them.
- At one time, Target bought the advertising pages of The New Yorker magazine (including the cover). On 18 pages were placed branded illustrations that attracted the attention of readers.
Native Advertising Issues
Unfortunately, in the domestic market, the native format of advertising is not well developed. The reason for this is several major problems:
- Few professionals that can truly release a quality product. Unfortunately, the theoretical knowledge and practical skills of many advertising agents are extremely limited, and the approach to the creation of the product is not always fair.
- In fact, native advertising is not as costly. Nevertheless, many agencies, as well as for significantly overstated prices, citing the fact that this format is innovative. Thus, to put ads on the stream will only big brand with a big profit.
- In most cases, advertising is perceived as a Supplement to the main content of the publication or information resource, but because its content and design are not always in good faith. However, effective native format should not stand out from the General concept of the site.
Advertising is designed to manipulate the mind of the consumer, but hardly anyone would like it. In this regard, there is a need for new, unobtrusive forms of reporting information. Native advertising is the future of the marketing market. Despite the fact that its effectiveness is difficult to assess, many well-known brands have switched to this format.