A natural stage in the development of marketing technologies has become native advertising. Negative attitude towards obsessive messages led to the formation of a fundamentally new form of promotion of goods and services.
Native advertising is such a way of conveying information to the consumer when it is presented as part of the content and is not identified as advertising. Thus, the target audience does not have a negative attitude towards it.
We can say that native advertising as it merges with the main information flow, fully consistent with the style and content of the web page. Thus, the appeal to the consumer turns out to be natural and unobtrusive. Such advertising does not interfere with the user, but on the contrary - looks like an answer to the questions that interest him.
A bit of history
Despite the fact that in domestic marketing, native advertising is perceived as a novelty, in fact, it has a fairly large history. So, this phenomenon became widespread in the US in the 1880s. It was then that the producers of goods and services felt the urgent need to stand out against the background of the standard calls "buy" or "try."
One of the most striking examples of the first native advertising can be considered the magazine The Furrow, which specialized in agricultural topics. So, between the information articles were placed individual blocks about the products produced by the farm belonging to the owner of the publication.
By the twentieth century, native advertising had acquired a new form, which was associated with the development of television and radio. So, the most striking example is the use of day-time serials by Procter \u0026 Gamble as an information site. By the way, this explains the origin of such an expression as a "soap opera".
A new era in the history of advertising began with the advent of the Internet. Initially, it took the form of search ads. Later, the native format replaced obtrusive banners.
To effectively promote a product or service, it is important to choose the right types of native advertising. So, the following are distinguished:
- Sponsored content involves placing information on the site, which enjoys wide popularity and trust. The content of the article corresponds to the General concept of a resource and is not an advertisement, and sort of useful advice. This can be used not only to known sites and accounts of celebrities but also movies and TV shows. This is the most expensive technique that is popular among large brands.
- The recommended content is most prevalent at the moment. For example, reading the informational article, often you can see additional links to texts on the subject. In this case we are talking about really useful information in which there is mention of a specific product or service.
- Given the growing popularity of social networks, they have become one of the best sites for native advertising. Compared to the previous versions this format is the most affordable. In addition, due to the seamless integration of posts in the news feed is provided by the widest audience.
Advantages of native advertising
Natural advertising has a number of advantages over other types and means. So, the most significant can be considered the following:
- the possibility of presenting the material in expanded form (full text, multimedia data, links, etc.);
- good perception of the material not only from computer devices, but also through mobile Internet;
- due to the lack of aggressive advertising banners and other obsessions, the reputation of the brand among potential customers improves;
- natural advertising can not be blocked through special software products (with the exception of its individual elements);
- such advertising is characterized by a large number of views compared to the usual banners that users are accustomed to ignore.
Native advertising, despite its undeniable advantages, has a number of significant drawbacks. These include:
Native advertising: examples
People who are far from all the subtleties of marketing, may not immediately understand the essence of this concept. Many do not even suspect that they are dealing with a phenomenon such as native advertising. Examples will help you understand:
It is quite difficult to do native advertising. In order for it to be most effective, it is necessary to be guided by such recommendations:
- information should be valuable to the consumer, and therefore should be a minimum of advertising and maximum practical information (the brand should be mentioned only indirectly);
- it is necessary to choose the most effective format for submitting information that will be relevant in the context of a certain resource;
- do not flirt with the reader and falsify, arguing that the material does not have a commercial background (the consumer values honesty);
- the best multi-platform approach works when the advertisement is placed immediately on several sites of different nature.
How to draw attention to native advertising
In any advertisement, the most important thing is that they pay attention to it. So, to attract the audience to the native format, you need the following:
- First you need to gain confidence. Thus, the first publications should be "loud" and as meaningful as possible.
- As an advertising agent and the advertising client is directly responsible for its content. Thus, the information in the message should be as helpful and truthful. Also, before you post information on its site, is familiar with the activities of the brand. So, the message unscrupulous advertiser can ruin the reputation of the resource.
- Given the content of the resource, and the type of product (or service), there are games and information advertising formats. Forming a message, consider which of the types will be better perceived by the target audience.
Examples of successful native advertising
This phenomenon, despite its proven effectiveness, is still poorly studied by domestic marketers. Therefore, it is worth paying attention to the most successful samples in foreign practice. The best native advertisement looks like this:
- The producer of Guinness beer released a leaflet which contained information about the main varieties of oysters and rules for their use. Thus, the user will not be able to pass this useful information, which simply stated that it is best to consume seafood with this beer.
- Users respond well to criticism that successfully used in their viral ad for Microsoft employees. So the video calls to use the new version of Internet Explorer, honestly acknowledging that the previous version was a failure, but the new product will be fundamentally different from them.
- At the time, Target redeemed the advertising pages of The New Yorker (including the cover). On 18 pages were placed branded illustrations, which attracted the attention of readers.
Problems of native advertising
Unfortunately, in the domestic market the native format of advertising is not developed well enough. The reason for this is a few basic problems:
- Few professionals that can truly release a quality product. Unfortunately, the theoretical knowledge and practical skills of many advertising agents are extremely limited, and the approach to the creation of the product is not always fair.
- In fact, native advertising is not as costly. Nevertheless, many agencies, as well as for significantly overstated prices, citing the fact that this format is innovative. Thus, to put ads on the stream will only big brand with a big profit.
- In most cases, advertising is perceived as a Supplement to the main content of the publication or information resource, but because its content and design are not always in good faith. However, effective native format should not stand out from the General concept of the site.
Advertising is designed to manipulate the mind of the consumer, but it is unlikely that anyone might like it. In this regard, there was a need for new unobtrusive forms of information reporting. It is for native advertising the future of the marketing market. Despite the fact that its effectiveness is difficult to assess, many well-known brands have switched to this format.