Fly fishing is one of the most ancient types of fishing, the first mention of which dates back to the II century AD. er Today it is an elite variety of fisheries, with a huge number of fans.
Fishing using fly fishing gear is a bit more complicated than the fishing process that we are used to, but much more exciting. After all, here you need not to wait for a bite, throwing the bait, and you need to provoke the fish with its external attractiveness and play "flies".
In this article we will try to understand what the fly fishing rods are and how they differ from the usual ones. In addition, we consider their classification and the main criteria for choosing a form.
Classification of forms for fly fishing
Fly fishing rods can be classified according to the following parameters:
- production material;
- power class AFTMA;
- knee joint type.
As you can see, there are quite a lot of parameters, so it will be difficult for a novice angler to choose a fishing rod for fishing with a “fly”. We will try to facilitate this task by examining each of the above criteria.
Fly fishing rods available for sale can be made from the following materials:
Wooden forms for fly-fishing are rare today. They are not in stores. You can buy such fishing rods only from the hands of old anglers, collectors and at auctions. They have lost their relevance due to the entry of lighter products made of modern materials to the market.
The exceptions are bamboo rods, but not those knotty and twisted, which our fathers and grandfathers caught, and completely new ones. They are made from split, and then glued and polished Vietnamese bamboo of a special breed. Such fly fishing rods are very light, comfortable, and most importantly, durable. The process of producing bamboo forms is very complicated and long, because of which their cost is quite high.
Fiberglass fishing rods are also quite strong, but not light enough. Their main advantage is the low price.
The carbon fiber blanks perfectly combine light weight, high strength, good dynamics and reasonable price. Because of this, carbon fishing rods are considered the most popular among fly fishing enthusiasts.
The length of the fishing rod is chosen exclusively under the conditions and method of fishing. Long blanks - for long casting, short ones - for fishing in the near distance: under the branches of trees, in the “windows” of aquatic plants, etc. It is recommended to start learning fly fishing from a 2.5-2.7 m long rod. This is the average size of the blank, which perfect for lover. When fishing from a boat, short forms up to 2.4 m are used.
There are, of course, very long rods intended for fishing on the open water of large reservoirs. Their size can reach 5 meters. Casting with these forms is done with two hands, so the fishing rods have a double handle.
If for conventional fishing rods and spinning there is a division according to the test, then the classification of fly fishing rods is carried out according to the power class that meets the requirements of the International Association of Manufacturers of Fishing Accessories. There are 14 main classes, which are indicated in the marking of the form. The power of the rod indicates the mass of the cord with which it can work most efficiently, as well as the size and weight of the intended catch.
- Grade 1-2 is short (1.8-2.2 m) blanks intended for fishing using dry and small wet flies as bait. These are the best fly fishing rods for catching small fish on small rivers and lakes.
- Grade 3-4 - fishing rods having a not much greater length (2-2.5 m), used for fishing for dry, wet flies, as well as for medium-sized nymphs.
- 5-6 class - universal fishing rods with a length of 2.6-2.74 m, which received the most popularity. They are used for fishing on any species of flies, loaded nymphs and streamers up to 6 cm in size. They allow throwing bait 10-15 meters away.
- Grades 7-9 are powerful blanks for long-distance casting of large flies, streamers and nymphs. They can be equipped with a sinking cord to catch medium-sized freshwater and marine predatory fish.
- 10-12 class - rods for sea fishing on a predator.
As befits any fishing rod, fly fishing models are also classified according to the line on:
- fast, where only the tip of the rod bends;
- medium-fast, which employs the upper third;
- average, bending from the middle of the form;
- slow, curving at full length.
Careful selection of rods on the line is important for the true professional. Fans often use the average forms.
This criterion is not so important as a power class or build, but still some anglers pay him a lot of attention. There are three types of knee connections:
- pin (lower knee has a plastic pin, which is attached to the top);
- with the entry of the lower knee into the upper cavity;
- with the entry of the upper knee into the cavity of the lower.
Fly Fishing Marking
Absolutely all branded fly fishing rods are labeled, with which the angler must determine if the form parameters are suitable for him. Different companies can label their products in different ways, but the basic values are easy to disassemble. Let us try to understand by the example of this marking SB 965/3 9’4 ”/ # 6 Line 3.80 Oz, where:
- SB 965 - brand name of the product (fishing rods);
- 3 - the number of knees;
- 9’4 ”- rod length in feet and inches;
- # 6 Line - power class;
- 3,80 Oz - the weight of the form in ounces.
Amateur Fly Fishing Rating
Finally, we will provide several of the most popular series of fly fishing forms from the well-known company Lagmiglas.
- Esprit - rods made of ultra-light and reliable graphite XMG 50. Characterized by high strength with minimum weight. Provide incredibly high initial speed of flight of a cord. Comes complete with a proprietary tube for storage and transportation.
- G1000 - the most popular fly fishing rods among novice anglers. Reviews of them testify to the ideal combination of price and quality. These forms are unofficially recognized as the “gold standard” of fly fishing.
- Jim Teeny Signature - a series of rods, named after one of the most famous professional fly fishing, ten-time world record holder in this category, Jim Tini. The blanks are distinguished by their low weight, special shape of “snake” type support rings, and also by an acceptable price. All rods of this series are equipped with a durable tube.