Fly fishing is one of the oldest types of fishing, the first mention of which date back to the II century ad Today is an elitist type of fishing, having a great number of fans.
Fishing with fly tackle is a bit more complicated traditional process of catching, but much more exciting. Right here you need not to wait for them to bite the bait thrown, and it is necessary to provoke the fish visual appeal and game flies.
In this article we will try to understand what are the fly rods and how they differ from regular. In addition, consider their classification and the main criteria for selection form.
Classification of forms of fly fishing
Fly rods are usually classified according to the following parameters:
- the material of manufacture
- power rating AFTMA
- connection type knees.
As you can see, options are many, so choose a fishing rod for fishing on the "fly" to a novice angler without professional help is difficult. We will try to facilitate this task, addressing each of the criteria above.
The material of manufacture
Fly rods, represented in the sale, can be made of the following materials:
Wooden forms of fly fishing today are rare. They are not in stores. To purchase such rods only from the hands of the old fishermen, collectors and auction houses. They have lost their relevance in connection with the arrival on the market of lighter products made from advanced materials.
The exceptions are the bamboo rods, but not the same, gnarled and twisted, which caught carp our fathers and grandfathers, and brand new. They are made of the split and then glued and sanded Vietnamese bamboo special breed. These fly rods are very light, comfortable, and most importantly, durable. The manufacturing process of bamboo forms a very long and complex, so their cost is quite high.
Rods made of fiberglass are also quite durable, however not enough light. Their main advantage – low price.
Carbon forms could not be better combine light weight, high strength, good dynamics and a reasonable price. Because of this carbon fishing rod is considered the most popular among lovers of fly fishing.
Fishing rod length is selected only under the conditions and method of fishing. Long blanks for long distance casting, short – for fishing in the middle distance under the branches of trees, in the "Windows" of water plants and etc. to Start to learn fly fishing recommended rods with a length of 2.5-2.7 m Is the average size Blanca, which is ideal for everybody. When fishing from a boat use short forms to 2.4 m.
There are, of course, and very long fishing rods designed for fishing in open water of large reservoirs. Their size can reach 5 meters. Throw in the use of such forms is made with two hands, so the rods have a double handle.
If the usual fishing rods and reels are divided according to the test, the classification of fly rods is carried out by power class, the relevant requirements of the international Association of manufacturers of fishing accessories. There are 14 main classes, which are specified in the marking form. The power of the rod indicates the weight of the cord, with which it can work most effectively, as well as on the size and weight of the intended catch.
- 1-2 class is a short (1.8 m-2.2 m) forms intended for fishing using as bait dry and wet flies. This is the best fly rods for catching small fish on small rivers and lakes.
- Grade 3-4 – rods with not much more length (2-2,5 m) used for fishing on dry, wet flies, and nymphs average shipping.
- 5-6 class – a universal rod length 2.6-2.74 meters gained the greatest popularity. Used for fishing all types of flies used nymphs and streamers size up to 6 cm Allow you to throw the bait at 10-15 meters.
- 7-9 class – powerful forms for distance casting large flies, streamers and nymphs. Can be equipped with sinking rope for catching medium size freshwater and saltwater predatory fish.
- 10-12 class fishing-rods for sea fishing on the predator.
As befits any bait, fly models are also classified according to the ranks on:
- quick, where curves are only the tip of the rod
- medium-fast, which works the upper third
- average, bending from the middle of the Blanca
- slow, curving the entire length.
Careful selection of the rod of the ranks are important for a real professional. Fans often use sredneetazhnye forms.
Connection type lap
This criterion is not as important as power or system, but some anglers are paying a lot of attention to him. There are three types of joints of the knees:
- pin (lower knee has a plastic pin that attaches the top)
- with the sunset of the lower knee in the cavity of the upper
- with the sunset of the upper joint cavity lower.
Marking fly rods
Absolutely everything brand fly rods have a marking, by means of which the angler needs to determine whether parameters of the form. Different companies can label their products differently, but the main value is easy to disassemble. Try to understand the example of this marking SB 965/3 9’4”/#6 Line Of 3.80 Oz, where:
- SB 965 – brand name products (fishing rods)
- 3 – the number of the tribes
- 9’4” – length of rod in feet and inches
- #Line 6 – grade power
- Of 3.80 Oz – Blanca weight in ounces.
Amateur rating fly rods
Finally I will provide some of the most popular series of forms to fly fishing from known firms Lagmiglas.
- Esprit – fishing rods from ultra-light and reliable graphite XMG 50. Characterized by high strength with minimum weight. Provide incredibly high initial flight speed of the cord. Come complete with branded tube for storage and transportation.
- G1000 is the most popular among novice anglers fly rods. Reviews the evidence for them is about the ideal combination of price and quality. These forms unofficially recognized as the "gold standard" of fly fishing.
- Jim Teeny Signature series of rods, named after one of the most renowned professionals of the fly fishing, tenfold world champion in this category of Jim Teeny. Forms are lightweight, special form of support rings of the type "snake" and a reasonable price. All rods in this series are equipped with a solid tube.