Fly fishing is one of the oldest species of fishing, the first mention of which dates back to the 2nd century AD. e. Today it is an elite species of fishing, having a huge number of fans.
Fishing with fly fishing gear is a little more complicated than the usual fishing process, but it is much more adventurous. After all, you do not have to wait for a bite, having thrown the bait, but it is necessary to provoke the fish with an external attraction and playing "flies".
In this article, we will try to understand what fly-fishing rods are and how they differ from ordinary rods. In addition, consider their classification and the main criteria for selecting a blank.
Classification of forms for fly fishing
Fly-fishing rods are classified according to the following parameters:
- material of manufacture;
- power class AFTMA;
- type of knee joint.
As you can see, there are a lot of parameters, so it will be difficult to choose a fishing rod for catching a fly to a novice angler without the help of a specialist. We will try to facilitate this task by considering each of the above criteria.
Material of manufacture
The fly fishing rods that are on sale can be made of the following materials:
Wooden forms for fly fishing are rare today. They are not in stores. You can buy such fishing rods only with the hands of old fishermen, collectors and at auctions. They have lost their relevance in connection with the arrival on the market of lighter items made of modern materials.
Exceptions are bamboo fishing rods, but not those knotty and twisted, which our fathers and grandfathers caught with crucian carp, but completely new ones. They are made from split, and then glued and ground Vietnamese bamboo of a special breed. Such fly fishing rods are very light, comfortable, and most importantly, sturdy. The process of producing bamboo forms is very complex and time-consuming, which is why their cost is quite high.
Fiberglass rods are also quite strong, but not light enough. Their main advantage is a low price.
Carbon-fiber blanks are the best combination of light weight, high strength, good dynamics and reasonable price. Because of this, carbon rods are considered the most popular among fans of fly fishing.
The length of the fishing rod is chosen exclusively under the conditions and method of fishing. Long forms are for long-distance casting, short ones are for catching at a short distance: under tree branches, in "windows" of aquatic plants, etc. It is recommended to learn fly fishing from rods 2.5-2.7 m long. This is the average size of the blank that ideal for an amateur. When catching boats, short forms are used up to 2.4 m.
There are, of course, very long rods designed for fishing in the open water of large bodies of water. Their size can reach 5 meters. The casting using these forms is done with two hands, therefore, the rods have a double handle.
If there is a test division for conventional fishing rods and spinnings, then the classification of fly fishing rods is carried out according to the class of capacity corresponding to the requirements of the International Association of Fishing Accessories Manufacturers. There are 14 main classes, which are indicated in the labeling of the form. The power of the rod indicates the mass of the cord with which it can work most efficiently, as well as the size and weight of the intended catch.
- Grade 1-2 are short (1.8-2.2 m) blanks intended for fishing with the use of dry and small wet "flies" as bait. These are the best fly fishing rods for catching small fish on small rivers and lakes.
- 3-4 class - fishing rods that have not much longer (2-2.5 m), used for fishing on dry, wet flies, as well as on medium density nymphs.
- 5-6 class - universal rods of length 2,6-2,74 m, received the greatest popularity. They are used for catching any kinds of flies, loaded nymphs and streamers up to 6 cm in size. Allow to cast the bait for 10-15 meters.
- 7-9 class - powerful forms for long-distance casting of large flies, streamers and nymphs. Can be equipped with a sinking cord for catching medium-sized freshwater and marine predatory fish.
- 10-12 class - fishing rods for sea fishing for a predator.
As befitted any fishing rod, fly fishing models are also classified according to the system by:
- fast, where only the tip of the rod is bent;
- medium-fast, in which the upper third operates;
- medium, bending from the middle of the blank;
- slow, bending to the full length.
Careful selection of the rod in the formation is important for a true professional. Lovers often use medium-sized forms.
Connection type of knees
This criterion is not as important as the class of capacity or system, but still some fishermen give him a lot of attention. There are three types of knee joints:
- pin (the lower leg has a plastic pin, on which the upper one is attached);
- with the entry of the lower knee into the upper cavity;
- with the approach of the upper knee into the cavity of the lower one.
Labeling of fly fishing rods
Absolutely all branded fly fishing rods are marked with the help of which the angler should determine whether the parameters of the form are suitable for him. Different firms can label their products in different ways, but the basic values are easy to disassemble. Let's try to understand the example of this marking SB 965/3 9'4 "/ # 6 Line 3.80 Oz, where:
- SB 965 - brand name of the product (rod);
- 3 - number of knees;
- 9'4 "- the length of the rod in feet and inches;
- # 6 Line - power class;
- 3.80 Oz - weight of the form in ounces.
Amateur rating of fly fishing rods
Finally, we will provide some of the most popular series of forms for fly fishing from the famous firm Lagmiglas.
- Esprit - Rods made of ultra-light and reliable graphite XMG 50. They are characterized by high strength with minimum weight. Provide an incredibly high initial speed of flight of the cord. Supplied complete with a branded tube for storage and transportation.
- G1000 - the most popular among beginner angler-fly fishing rod. Reviews about them indicate an ideal combination of price and quality. These forms are unofficially recognized as the "gold standard" for fly-fishing.
- Jim Teeny Signature - a series of rods, named after one of the most famous professionals in fly fishing, a ten-time world record holder in this category, Jim Tini. Blanks are characterized by low weight, a special form of supporting rings like "snake", and also an acceptable price. All the rods of this series are equipped with a strong tube.