Mint refers to the family of clearing. There are 25 different species that can be wild or artificially derived. In folk medicine and modern cooking, as a rule, only three kinds of mint are used. Mint of the field uses the greatest demand, thanks to its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
Appearance and features of flowering plants
Mint is a perennial plant, reaching a height of 15-65 cm (in some cases it can reach a meter). Rhizome creeping, straight stem, on which are located petiolate, leafy leaves. It is these characteristics that distinguish mint.
The grass blooms with purple or pink flowers, which, ripening, turn into brown fruits that look like small nuts. The plant is common in temperate climates and prefers well-moistened soil. Most often mint grows near water in the shrub zone.
Types of mint varieties
There are several most common species that are used by humans for various areas of life. Varieties of mint have differences not only external, but also differ in the general direction of the effect on the body.
- Peppermint - artificially bred plant, has the strongest flavor. Collect the leaves in the flowering period. Since at this time the plant contains the maximum amount of menthol, an essential oil that provides medicinal action.
- Mint of the field is a wild plant that reaches 50 cm in height. Blossoms in the period from June to November, the essential oil contained in the leaves has analgesic and disinfecting properties. Used in the manufacture of "Validol", as it eliminates spasms of the heart and dilates the coronary vessels.
- Peppermint is more known as melissa. Blossoms in the summer, the height of the plant reaches a meter. "When to collect mint?" - this is a very important issue, because in different life periods it contains different medicinal composition. It has a more effective effect on the human body, mainly it concerns painkillers properties for spasms of the stomach or intestines.
Each separate species has similar beneficial properties, which equally cause the demand for all types of mint in folk medicine.
What is useful for mint: medicinal effect on the body
Peppermint is not only a spicy herb, but it is also a medicinal product that, if properly used, can improve health. The main advantages of the plant include:
- Peppermint, the herb which is able to adjust the digestive processes, due to mild choleretic action, is often used in folk medicine.
- Decoctions prepared on the basis of wild plants, have anti-inflammatory effect, eliminate inflammatory processes in the body.
- Infusions of peppermint are used for pain relief, it is also effective to use peppermint as a sedative. It allows you to cope with neurological disorders and get rid of insomnia.
- Mint field is a good antispasmodic, allowing you to quickly neutralize spasms in the body.
- Broths of peppermint are used in the treatment of various diseases of the oral cavity, as a means of eliminating bad breath. Also has antiemetic effect.
- Good help mint tincture in the treatment of skin diseases.
- In cases of bladder disorders, the use of mint broths is also appropriate and desirable.
To maximize the use of drugs based on peppermint, you must follow the specified dosage and duration of administration. Knowing how useful mint is, you can effectively take it to eliminate pain syndromes and as a disinfectant.
Contraindications to admission
Peppermint can not be used by people with individual intolerance. In addition, it is contraindicated:
- at pregnancy and thoracal feeding;
- people suffering from low blood pressure (hypotension);
- with varicose veins, as mint reduces the tone of the vascular wall.
Children under 5 years of age are also not advised to take peppermint-based products, because they may cause respiratory arrest due to the presence of menthol in their composition.
Most often, mint leaves are used to treat disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, such as:
It is effective in case of colds, a special composition of the plant allows you to quickly withdraw phlegm from the respiratory tract. In case of heart disorders, the use of peppermint allows to expand coronary vessels, which improves blood circulation and relieves spasm of the heart muscle.
The disinfectant and anti-inflammatory properties of mint allow it to be used as a mouth rinse solution.
In the external application compresses and lotions of mint leaves are common. They are used for muscle spasms, pains in the spine and joints, as well as with cramps and itchy skin diseases.
The leaves can be used both in fresh chopped form and in the form of grass left after preparation of the decoction.
Recipes of broth
To eliminate indigestion, it is necessary to pour 1 tablespoon of dry raw material with a glass of boiling water and insist for 20 minutes. After this, the filtered broth can be taken orally in small doses (one-third of a glass) or used to make compresses or lotions.