Mint belongs to the family yasnotkovyh. There are 25 different species that may be wild or bred artificially. In folk medicine, and modern cookery generally uses only three kinds of mint. Mint field is in great demand, thanks to its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
Appearance and features of flowering plants
Mint is a perennial plant, reaching a height of 15-65 cm (in some cases up to a meter). Rhizome creeping, straight stem, which is oposhnya petiolate leaves. Such properties is mint.
The grass blooms purple or pink flowers, which, ripening, turn into brown fruits that look like small nuts. The plant is common in temperate climates and prefers well-moistened soil. Mint often grows near water bodies in the shrub zone.
Types of varieties of mint
There are some of the most common types that are used for different areas of life. Varieties of mint have differences not only external, but also differ in the overall orientation effects on the body.
- Peppermint – an artificially derived plant has the strongest flavor. Collect the leaves should be in the flowering period. Since this time the plant contains the maximum amount of menthol – essential oils, providing a drug action.
- Field mint – wild-growing plant, reaching 50 cm in height. It blooms between June to November, contained in the leaves essential oil has analgesic and disinfectant properties. Used in the manufacture of “Validol” because it eliminates the spasms of the heart and dilates coronary vessels.
- Lemon mint – better known under the name Melissa. Blooms in summer, plant height reaches one meter. “When to harvest mint?” this is a very important question, because in different life periods it contains various medicinal composition. It has a more effective impact on the human body, this applies mainly to relieve pain for cramps of the stomach or intestines.
Each individual has similar useful properties that equally determine the demand for all types of mint in traditional medicine.
How useful mint: medicinal effects on the body
Mint not only is a spicy herb, but a drug that, when used properly, can improve the condition. The main advantages of the plant include:
- Mint, a herb which is able to establish the processes of digestion, thanks to a mild choleretic action, often used in folk medicine.
- Decoctions made from wild plants, anti-inflammatory effect, eliminate the body's inflammatory processes.
- Mint infusions are used for pain syndrome to relief, it is also effective to use mint as a sedative. It allows you to cope with neurological disorders and to get rid of insomnia.
- Field mint is a good antispasmodic, allowing you to quickly neutralize spasms in the body.
- The mint teas are used in the treatment of various diseases of the oral cavity, as a means of eliminating unpleasant odors from the mouth. Also it has antiemetic effect.
- Well help tincture of peppermint in the treatment of skin diseases.
- In human bladder the use of peppermint teas is also relevant and desirable.
To maximize the use of products based on mint, you need to follow the specified dosage and length of treatment. Knowing how useful mint, may be effectively used to eliminate pain syndromes and as a disinfectant agent.
Mint can not be used for people with individual intolerance. In addition, it is contraindicated:
- during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- people suffering from low blood pressure (hypotension)
- for varicose veins, as the mint reduces vascular tone.
Children under 5 years of age are also not advised to take peppermint-based products, because they may cause respiratory arrest due to the presence of menthol in their composition.
The use of mint
Most often, field mint is used in the treatment of disorders of the gastrointestinal tract such as:
It is effective and colds, the special composition of the plant allows you to quickly pull the phlegm from the respiratory tract. In human heart the use of mint allows you to expand the coronary vessels, thereby improving blood circulation and relieves spasm of the heart muscle.
Disinfectant and anti-inflammatory properties of peppermint can use it as a solution for rinsing the mouth.
In external use common compresses and lotions from mint leaves. They are used for muscular spasms, pain in the spine and joints, as well as in convulsions and itchy skin diseases.
The leaves can be used in fresh and powdered form, and remaining after the preparation of the decoction of herbs.
To resolve digestive disorders, you need to pour 1 tablespoon of dry raw materials Cup of boiling water and infuse for 20 minutes. After this strained decoction can be taken internally in small doses (one third of a Cup), or used to make compresses or lotions.