Maintaining breastfeeding is very important for the health of the baby, so the mother should do everything possible to keep him and feed him as long as possible. Often the question arises: “Is it possible to feed a child at a temperature?” This will be discussed.
Reasons why mom may have a fever
Can I feed my baby at a temperature? The decision to refuse breastfeeding should be made only after the mother learns the causes of poor health.
- Due to stress and ovulation, a woman may slightly increase the temperature, which, naturally, will not affect the course of the breastfeeding process.
- Most often, the temperature rises in cases where the mother is infected with acute respiratory infections or SARS. True symptoms of these diseases are runny nose, cough and pain when swallowing.
- Often after childbirth can begin as inflammatory processes. They relate to post-Natal problems and are subject to compulsory treatment. If the woman in the first weeks after birth the temperature is stable, she will need to see a gynecologist, as it could rip your sutures, endometritis appear or worsen chronic diseases of the genital organs.
- Postpartum disease in which fever, is mastitis. It develops in the breast, and the reason for its appearance are microbes, most often it is Staphylococcus aureus. Symptoms of mastitis is a hardening of the breast, pain when feeding and pressure on the breast. Often appear on the nipple skin changes and cracks.
- The reason for raising the temperature can also be food poisoning.
How to measure the temperature of women with HB
Can I feed my baby milk at a temperature? How to measure it correctly? The temperature of the mother immediately after feeding in the armpit cannot be measured, since it will be slightly increased, on average to 37.3. This is due to the fact that milk is formed deep in the tissues and has a temperature of 37 degrees. Also, the temperature may rise due to the contraction of the muscles of the tributaries during feeding, so when the baby eats breast milk, it also does not make sense to measure it. It is best to wait half an hour, and then the thermometer will show the most accurate value.
Before measuring the temperature, the armpit must be wiped thoroughly. Even if there is a little sweat in it, the readings may be understated, since the liquid absorbs heat.
What to do mom at elevated temperatures
Can I feed my baby at a temperature? As soon as a mother discovers her increase in herself, she must immediately call a doctor so that he can identify the real cause of the disease and prescribe the appropriate treatment. With colds, it is a therapist, with postpartum inflammation - a gynecologist. With high temperature and pain when urinating refer to the urologist. You should consult with your doctor about the continuation of breastfeeding.
In order to quickly recover from a nursing mom, without harming the health of your child, you need to follow these tips:
- Take only those drugs that are permitted with HB and have no effect on the taste and quality of milk. These include drugs containing ibuprofen and paracetamol.
- So that the temperature does not affect the taste of milk, you must quickly bring it down if it has risen above 38 degrees. The most effective are antipyretic candles, which have no side effects.
- If the disease is mild and the temperature does not rise above 38 degrees, it is possible to do without the drug, the main thing – to drink warm tea, compotes and keep the diet. If the cause of temperature rise – mastitis, the liquid needs to be used sparingly, otherwise you'll get chest pains due to the intense inflow of milk.
Can I feed my baby at a temperature?
The answer to this question primarily depends on the reasons why a nursing mother has a fever. If it is colds, which the doctor prescribed drugs have no negative consequences for the child, you can continue feeding. In the case of antibiotics need to be careful and be sure to consult with your doctor about their effects on the content of milk. Viral diseases are not an indication for termination of GW, as in the milk that baby receives contains a sufficient amount of antibodies that will help protect his immune system from disease.
Is it possible to breastfeed a child at a temperature caused by a virus? Yes, but the main thing is for mom not to forget to wear a mask, changing it every three hours with constant contact with the child. If the cause of the temperature is mastitis, feeding also continues, except in cases of the last stages of the development of the disease, when pus starts to stand out from the chest.
Is it possible to feed a child if the temperature is above 38?
Is it possible to feed the child at a temperature of 38 degrees and above? Temperature rise above 38 becomes a reason for rejection of GW in those cases, if the doctor prescribes medicine that is not compatible with GW, or if in milk accumulates a lot of pathogenic viruses and bacteria. In this case, the mother is forced to temporarily put the baby on formula milk to prevent it diarrhoea or indigestion.
If the cause of fever is acute respiratory infections and ARVI, which are treatable with health-friendly drugs, continue HB is necessary for the benefit of the baby, so that he, along with valuable milk, receives antibodies produced in the mother's body.
If the temperature has risen above 38 degrees, it is necessary to knock it down, because the patient may have convulsions. It is best to use antipyretic drugs based on paracetamol, aspirin is not allowed to use with HB.
Can I feed my baby at 37?
Based on medical research, doctors unequivocally state that a low temperature is not a reason to refuse breastfeeding, because if the break is delayed, it is quite possible that the crumb will refuse to sweat at all. SARS or mother ORZ is not a threat to the child, because during the disease antibodies form in the milk, which it shares with the baby. Feeding is extremely important for the mother, as a break can complicate her condition, and in addition to a cold, mastitis or lactostasis can appear.
If the temperature has increased due to stress or ovulation, it is also not worth stopping HBW, since this state of the mother will not affect the health of the child.
When breastfeeding should be stopped at high temperatures
Is it possible to feed an infant at a temperature? There are cases when feeding can harm a child and it is necessary to stop HB:
- tuberculosis, the initial symptom of which is a slight fever;
- purulent mastitis;
- severe infection that can be cured only with antibiotics and therapy that is not compatible with HB.