Pulmonaria officinalis has long been known for its beneficial properties. This perennial herbaceous plant is widely distributed in the forests of Russia, the Caucasus, Western regions of Belarus and Ukraine. The people pulmonaria officinalis is referred to as the lung herb, as its leaves its form resemble human lungs.
Appearance and habitat
Pulmonaria included in the family Boraginaceae, which are dominated by herbs (forget-me-nots, bortniki, Brunner). This plant has straight branched stems that can reach 30 cm in height. The leaves located in the upper part of the stem, rough, covered with small fuzz. Flowers of pulmonaria officinalis are small bells blue, purple and lilac shades. The fruit of the plant – a nut with pointed ends.
Lung grass grows in the forest zone of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Central Europe and the British Isles. Most bees found in dark cool places: on the edges of forests, glades of deciduous trees, between bushes.
Today, lungwort is grown and at home. For cultivation of suitable sandy, loamy, alkaline or slightly acidic loose soil.
Picking and harvesting
In folk medicine and cooking used ground part of the plant. Collect and harvest the bees during its flowering from April until late may. In early spring appear the first flowers of this medicinal plant. Initially, the bells of red, and in late may acquire a purple hue.
After harvesting a plant long kept in well-ventilated areas to reduce the risk of blackening. Then the flowers and leaves of lungwort dry in the sun or artificially heated premises, which must be ventilated. The fruit is harvested and harvested during their ripening in July.
After drying, the herbs and flowers are ground into powder, which is used to prepare special infusions and decoctions for the treatment of various diseases.
The plant medunitsa medicinal contains many useful substances that make it an indispensable element in the treatment of many inflammatory and cold diseases. Its most important components are listed below.
- Vitamins C and P strengthen the immune defenses.
- Essential minerals: potassium, iron, calcium, strontium, manganese, silver, Nickel, silicon, copper, etc.
- Iodine – a beneficial effect on energy metabolism in the body and prevents the risk of thyroid diseases.
- Tannins contribute to the strengthening of cell membranes.
- Saponins have a marked expectorant action.
- Carotene – a substance essential for the normal functioning of the eye.
- Particle alkaloids.
- Mucous substances.
- Polyphenols – powerful antioxidants.
- Silicic acid enters the collagen helps the connective tissue to maintain strength.
Pharmacological and medicinal properties of lungwort
The pharmacological properties of this plant are determined by its composition. Medunitsa has a calming, expectorant, emollient, anesthetic, astringent, diuretic and hemostatic effect.
This plant is due to active substances in its composition stimulates the functions of endocrine glands (particularly the thyroid). Tannins determine the anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, astringent and wound healing properties of lungwort. In addition, the plant strengthens the immune system and helps to restore the body after diseases.
Pulmonaria officinalis is widely used in folk medicine for the treatment of various diseases. So, from what diseases helps this plant?
Application in folk medicine
- Neurological disorders (epilepsy, frequent headaches, trouble sleeping).
- Diseases of the respiratory system (asthma, pneumonia, bronchitis, tracheitis, tuberculosis, SARS). Has a strong expectorant effect.
- Inflammatory diseases and processes.
- Disorders of metabolism, deficiency.
- Skin diseases (eczema, psoriasis).
- Pyelonephritis, urolithiasis.
- Diseases of the mouth (bleeding gums, laryngitis). It has a hemostatic, anti-inflammatory and sedative effect.
- Cardiovascular disease (hypertension, anemia, anemia, poor circulation). Lungwort helps to strengthen capillaries.
- Diseases of the female urogenital (hormone disruption, uterine bleeding).
- Used for ulcers and gastritis.
- It is used as a hemostatic agent for bleeding of various kinds.
- Regulates the acid-base balance in the body.
- It is used for allergies and scrofula.
Juice lungwort is used for anemia, anemia, leukemia, inflammation in the upper respiratory tract and lungs. To prepare medicines freshly squeezed juice of the plant should be mixed with vodka in equal proportions and leave for several hours.
In diseases of the respiratory system (particularly the treatment of bronchitis and pneumonia) uses decoctions of pulmonaria officinalis. For its preparation you need 1 tbsp plant grind into powder, mix it with beer (1 liter) and honey (1 tbsp). The mixture needs to cook on low heat until then, until its volume is reduced by half. Then the decoction of lungwort should infuse for half an hour. Make the tool should be 3 times a day 1 small spoon, drinking a small amount of water.
Powdered lungwort is used for boils and suppuration. This tool helps to quickly relieve inflammation.
Primokoe tincture of a medunitsa (1 tbsp. Plants. 0,5 liters of boiling water) do on wounds and burns.
Tinctures of Medunitsa officinalis
Dried lungwort (1 handful) mix in equal proportions with ground flax seed and pour boiling water (1 l). Infusion drink half a Cup 3 times a day for diarrhea, gastritis, intestinal disorders and hemorrhoids.
Powdered lungwort (2 tbsp) pour water (2 cups) and boil on a water bath for 15 minutes. Then let the mix steep for 1 hour. Infusion drink half a Cup 3 times a day with uterine bleeding and kidney stones.
Powdered lungwort (30 g) pour boiling water (0.5 liters). Place the mixture in a thermos for 2 hours. Infusion drink half a Cup 3 times a day for gastritis, kidney diseases, colitis, anemia, anemia, and hemorrhoids.
Powdered lungwort (1 tablespoon) pour boiling water (1 Cup). Mix, cover with blanket and leave to infuse for 20 minutes. A tincture is used for treatment of vitamin deficiency and weakening of the immune system.
Use in cooking
Medunitsa medicinal use is not only in traditional medicine, but also in cooking. This plant is tasty and sweet, so it is used for the preparation of various salads, soups, pickles.
Take the leaves of fresh Lunaria (300 g), rinse them thoroughly under running water. Mix them with chopped green onions (100 g) and a grated boiled egg. You can season the salad with mayonnaise or sour cream.
- Lungwort is not recommended for use in the treatment of children up to 3 years.
- Individual intolerance of the plant
- Do not use medunitsu people who suffer from constipation.