Those who left Russia at least once, know firsthand about the need to purchase a medical policy. Besides the fact that medical insurance for traveling abroad allows you to feel more confident in a foreign country, it is often also a prerequisite for a visa. How necessary it is to draw up a similar document and what could be the risk of its absence - let us examine in more detail.
Why do you need to insure
Oddly enough, but any policy, and even more so medical insurance for traveling abroad, is perceived by our fellow citizens as a kind of “duty”, from which they try to get out at the slightest opportunity. This position is fundamentally wrong, and here's why.
Tourists who have not paid due attention to this issue often face the situation when they are forced to purchase a policy directly “under the walls” of the visa center, since without such a document you can simply not get permission to enter the selected country.
Even if we put aside the question of cost (which in this case would be much higher than usual), such actions can lead to the fact that, if necessary, to take medical help to get support from the insurance company will be problematic. Indeed, one of the main criteria by which high-quality medical insurance is chosen for traveling abroad is the feedback from customers who have already used the service. Of course, in a hurry no one not only is not interested in the opinion of the company, but also does not pay attention to its name and insurance conditions at all. Such a position can lead to great trouble.
Sure or not
In fairness it should be noted that most often obtaining a medical policy is one of the main conditions for obtaining a visa. Almost all European countries require medical insurance for travel abroad. You will definitely need a policy for traveling in the Schengen countries. And if you are going to travel by car, you will also need an insurance policy for the car.
But to visit, for example, UK insurance is not needed. The fact is that there is an agreement between the Russian Federation and the United Kingdom, which allows, if necessary, to receive free medical care.
For countries with a visa-free entry regime, obtaining health insurance for future tourists is optional.
Choosing an insurance
As you already understood, the design of medical insurance for traveling abroad is a very responsible matter. To make the trip go “without a hitch and without a hitch,” it is best to buy a policy from a company with a proven reputation. In this case, you should definitely consider the following points:
- The insurance company you have chosen must be accredited at the embassy of the country where you plan to go.
- The amount of the policy coverage must correspond to the level set by the embassy.
- Health insurance must match the period of stay in a foreign country or be a little more.
- A company that provides insurance services must have a contract (not expired) with an assistance organization in the territory of the country where you plan to go.
- If you intend to visit several countries belonging to different continents, then the insurance company should offer you a policy like "All World", while confirming its ability to provide assistance in any country you choose.
An example of such a policy may be medical insurance for traveling abroad "RESO-Garantia", offering medical care around the clock and in any country in the world.
What you should pay attention to
In addition, when preparing documents, attention should be paid to some other points. Before you make a medical insurance for traveling abroad in a company, be sure to ask:
- conditions of medical insurance - carefully study what will be recognized as an insured event and what is not, what kind of specific help you can count on in a particular case;
- information about insurance claims - how many policies did your chosen company pay for the last month or year;
- with which insurance companies does the embassy of the country where you are planning to go;
- the size of the franchise stipulated by the contract - it may turn out that the policy is pleasantly little, but if the insured event occurs, half the money spent will not be returned to you
It is not possible to name a specific amount within this article, since the cost of an insurance policy depends on many individual factors. First of all, the price will depend on what exactly you want to insure and how much a large company will represent your interests. The cost of the policy is affected by:
- terms of stay in a foreign country;
- the host country itself - usually the higher the “local” cost of medical services, the more expensive the insurance;
- tourist age - the older, the more you have to pay;
- franchise, or rather its presence or absence.
Medical insurance for traveling abroad to a pregnant woman will also be a bit more expensive, and not even any company will undertake to issue a policy for such a tourist. The same applies to the insurance of children and the elderly (over 65) people.
If we talk about the insurance organization itself, then, of course, it is best to use the services of a large company with a proven reputation. The cost of the policy, other things being equal, is likely to be higher there, however, there are much less maintenance problems.
Most often, the insurance policy will cost at the rate of $ 1 / day, but it may be much more expensive.
Reimbursement of additional risks
Obviously, medical insurance for traveling abroad is very important, however, other unforeseen situations are quite possible. Therefore, most often during the registration of a medpolis, you will be asked to insure other risks:
- loss of baggage or delay it at customs;
- accident - in addition to the actual medical care itself, the victim will receive additional compensation;
- cancellation or interruption of the trip due to circumstances beyond your control - the cost of the permit will be fully or partially returned to you;
- technical support - covers unforeseen expenses when traveling in your own car: repair, purchase and delivery of spare parts and so on;
- civil liability - will compensate for any harm caused by you to another person through negligence.
Rest is different
The cost of the policy also strongly depends on how exactly you are going to rest. Standard Medpolis will cover the costs associated only with the usual, so to speak, "ordinary" incidents: sudden malaise, poisoning, cuts, bruises, "household" injuries - for example, you fell down the stairs and so on.
Extended medical insurance for traveling abroad will make you feel much more confident. This could include, for example, dental services or assistance in the exacerbation of chronic diseases.
When you make a policy, employees of the company will definitely ask how exactly you are going to spend time abroad. A policy for lovers of extreme recreation costs a lot of money: diving, jumping, skiing, snowboarding, kiting or mountain biking - all this greatly increases the risk of fractures, sprains and other injuries, and therefore increases the cost of the policy. The insurance will be cheaper for lovers to lie on the beach, but it’s worth remembering that if you have such a policy and you break your leg while water skiing, you will have to be treated at your own expense, so you shouldn’t cheat.
One more feature should be known to people intending to visit tropical and equatorial countries. The fact is that visiting such countries for Russian people is fraught with acute gastrointestinal infections, as well as quite dangerous local diseases. You can prevent a similar outcome by conducting a timely vaccination (you can find a list in the embassy of the country where you are going). It is not recommended to neglect this, since such diseases - for example, yellow fever - will not be insured events, and the treatment will have to be paid out of pocket.
Issue and receive
Probably, you have already understood: medical insurance for traveling abroad is an important and necessary business, especially since it is very easy to arrange. To do this, you must personally contact the office of your chosen insurance company, taking with you only one document - a passport, or even a copy of it. After that, try to answer all questions of the manager as fully and accurately as possible:
- the host country and the purpose of the trip;
- departure and return dates;
- the presence of chronic illness or pregnancy;
- do you plan to additionally visit other countries during this period, if yes, which ones?
- are you going to travel by personal transport and so on.
Registration of medical insurance usually takes no more than 15-20 minutes, payment is made on the spot - in cash or by credit card.
Many insurance companies offer their clients to get medical insurance for traveling abroad without visiting the company's office at all. To do this, you can use special forms posted on the official websites of insurance companies. In the special “windows” you need to enter data on all participants of the tourist trip, tick off the options of the “baggage loss” or “flight delay” type and click the “Save” or “Send” button.
After that, within a few seconds, you will receive a personal policy indicating the cost and methods of payment. Deposit the required amount in the way convenient for you, and just print the insurance document itself.
That's all. When submitting documents to any embassy, you will only have to place your autograph in the “Personal signature” line, after which your policy will have the same power as the usual “live” one. Thus, for example, medical insurance can be issued for traveling abroad - “Alfa Insurance”.
There are also special intermediary sites, which, after you have entered the necessary data, will offer you a choice of several insurance companies, which will save you from having to waste precious time searching for a suitable organization.
If something happened
Of course, going on a trip, each of us expects that everything will go as well as possible. However, if something has gone wrong, then compulsory medical insurance for traveling abroad will help you reduce unpleasant health-related issues to a minimum.
Here is a small instruction for those who still could not avoid trouble:
- If you have any health problems, first of all you should contact the representative of the company-assistant, whose phones must be indicated directly in the policy. Do not be afraid to disturb the manager at a later time of day - they work around the clock.
- Well, if you speak any foreign language and can be explained at least at the minimum level. If you have a problem with this, then prepare a small cheat sheet with several phrases like “I broke my leg”, “I have a high temperature” and so on. Well, or take with you a phrase book in which there is a similar section.
- Try to find out if there are Russian-speaking employees in the company, if not, can they offer you translation services.
- Usually, the employees of the company assistant call the doctor themselves or schedule a visit to the clinic, all you have to do is visit the specialist.
If there is no time
In the case when you feel unbearable pain or have received a dangerous injury that can threaten life - do not waste time: immediately seek help from the nearest medical facility.
If you can pay for the services yourself - do it, but be sure to keep all the checks and receipts, otherwise you will not be able to confirm the amount of your expenses. When the danger is left behind, contact assistance-service and describe the situation. Most likely, you will be reimbursed for all costs and will be told what to do next.
If there is no possibility to pay for urgent treatment - show the policy to the doctor and ask him to contact assistance-service as soon as possible. Do not worry, if you have a policy you will be assisted.
Remember, medical insurance, or at least a copy of it, you need to carry with you all the time, even to the beach - this is your guarantee in any situation.
Who will refuse to pay
Sometimes there are times when help may be refused. This can happen when a deterioration in health or injury is not covered by the conditions of insurance. For example, when you received a policy, you promised to decorously lie on the beach, while you yourself went to jump with a parachute.
You will not receive insurance in the case when the injury was received by a person who is in a state of drug or alcohol intoxication, as well as while committing an offense or a crime.