Various reasons lead to the fact that some functions may lose us in the process of life. This also applies to the dentoalveolar system. Or the patient faces anomalies that affect the quality of life. For example, it may be curvature of the teeth or an incorrect bite. Just to correct all the mistakes and to normalize the dental system, and the purpose of this branch in medicine, like orthopedic dentistry, is to be. But it would be interesting to learn a few historical facts, the stages of development, the names of people who put their hand to it.
History of Orthopedic Dentistry in Russia
In 1891, issued a charter for private schools, in which they taught dentistry. This event was preceded by the activity of the best representatives of dental surgery of that time (NN Znamensky, MM Chemodanov, PG Dauge, NN Nesmeyanov, and others). This statute legitimized the existence of two categories of doctors who engaged in dental activities. Since then, there have been two trends: dentists and dentists. At that time, these were private offices, and only wealthy sections of the population could get help. And that was before the October Revolution. Then private dental schools were closed, and outpatient clinics and outpatient clinics were established in all cities, which provided free services to the population.
Together with the opening of outpatient clinics, the ways that led to the study of this science were laid. Just at this time, the transition from naked technicalism to research methods was noted.
At the same time, the question arises about the need to reform the profile education. The People's Commissariat of Health decides to transfer dental education to the walls of the medical school. Then the departments of orthopedics were opened, where qualified specialists were trained. That's how the first stone was laid in the foundation of a single medicine. And dentistry becomes an integral part of it.
During this period, new staff of research workers are being created. They were engaged in raising the country's dentistry to one of the first stages of scientific development.
Orthopedic stomatology: dental technician. Origin of a specialty
Together with the development of dentistry, it was necessary to begin to form the staff of technicians. Even before the revolution, handicraft training for dentists was practiced. Their knowledge did not meet the standards and requirements of medicine. Therefore, they organized special dental technical courses. Then they are renamed into technical schools. At that time there was no literature on this specialty. As a result, the society received illiterate doctors.
Of course, since then, orthopedic dentistry and prosthetic dentistry have reached a new level. Today it is even frightening to imagine how to eliminate dental problems at that time.
Today orthopedics is a separate branch of dentistry. The science is devoted to the study, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of all kinds of violations of the dentoalveolar system of a morphological and functional nature. Taking into account the achievements in a number of areas of medicine, orthopedic dentistry is focused on developing tactics for treating integrity defects. Also, the development of technologies for restoring the functions of the dentoalveolar system is ongoing.
Due to significant achievements in the study of pathogenesis and etiology of diseases, in-depth development of diagnostic methods, there has been a transition from substitution therapy (prosthetics) to functional therapy. It also includes preventive measures aimed at preventing the occurrence of dysfunctions.
Orthopedic stomatology sections
The general course is called propaedeutic. This means that the information is submitted to students in a preparatory manner. At the propaedeutic stage of orthopedic dentistry, the anatomical features of the jaw (chewing apparatus) are studied. At the same time, the existing methods of diagnosis are considered. Students study the symptoms and semiotics of diseases. They are taught clinical materials science, dental prosthetics and laboratory equipment. At this point, most students finally choose their specialty. Orthopedic dentistry has made a big leap to date. She took a worthy place in general medicine. In doing so, it has several subsections.
1. The study of the composition, properties, technology of the use of various components is engaged in materials science.
2. The technical manufacture of orthopedic structures has been given attention in laboratory and dental prosthetics.
In a separate course, three main sections are taught.
1. Prosthetics of the dentition. It consists in the replacement of defects with prostheses.
2. Orthodontics. A section devoted to prevention, treatment of anomalies (distortions) of the dentoalveolar system. As a rule, these defects occur during the growth and development of the body.
3. Oral and maxillofacial orthopedics. Its efforts are aimed at eliminating the anomalies of the jaws and facial areas. As a rule, they arise after traumas, inflammatory processes, various operations and tumors.
Fundamental theoretical principles
There are several theoretical principles. They determine the course of development of science.
1. Obligation to receive higher education by an orthopedic dentist.
2. Association in groups has a positive impact on activities such as orthopedic dentistry. Prosthetics is effective only in specialized clinics.
3. It is in the idea of the unity of all systems of the body. On its basis the ailments of the dental system are not considered separately from the general condition of the patient.
4. Nosological principle provides for obtaining certain knowledge on etiology. He confirms the fact that prosthetics is a curative and preventive measure.
5. Any orthopedic design is considered as a method of treatment. Accordingly, it has side effects. Information on all the properties of the prosthesis and on the indications for its purpose determines successful prosthetics.
6. From the previous definition follows the principle of staging. When choosing a prosthesis, the specialist takes into account not only the nature of the disease and the individual characteristics of the patient. We also consider the stage of the disease.
7. This principle obliges the doctor to observe the patient until the problem is solved completely.
8. This definition refers to the importance of integrated therapy. Many diseases can not be treated separately. This will not work.
9. Here it is spoken about preventive measures.
10. The last principle says that it is necessary to follow the rules of medical ethics.
Students and teachers of dental faculties in medical schools use Lebedenko's textbook. Orthopedic dentistry is presented in it concisely. The course includes clinical and general clinical norms and aspects of prosthetics.
In the manual paid attention to the rules of medical history, preventive measures, peculiarities of care for orthodontic structures. Each topic is accompanied by test tasks. The index is located at the end of the textbook. The benefit meets all modern requirements.
Patient examination scheme
Practice in orthopedic dentistry is carried out taking into account a certain sequence of examination of the patient.
1. It is necessary to listen to complaints, make an anamnesis.
2. A direct review of the problem.
3. Study of the condition of the oral cavity.
4. Establishing a diagnosis.
5. Filling in the medical history.
6. Identification of passport data and dates.
7. Collection of clinical or special studies.
Relevance of the topic
Orthopedic dentistry today is at a decent level of its development. Thanks to scientific research and introduction of new technologies, the population has the opportunity to receive qualified assistance. The students are trained in such a way that they have a sufficient knowledge base at the general rate. In this case, special attention is paid to profile inclinations. Science has divided specialists so that the patient can get help at the highest level in the clinic. And to this day, research is being carried out, whose goal is to improve the skills of doctors and treatment technologies.