Poultry farming is one of the most important branches of agriculture, which is capable of providing the population with food in a short time. Intensive method of management involves the active use of new methods. The cellular content of the bird has long been an integral part of the production of eggs. Cages for chickens are improving. Designers are developing new options with the maximum possible mechanization of all processes.
In the post-war period, the acute problem of feeding the population prompted the development of industrial cellular housing for poultry. The most famous and powerful manufacturers of such equipment are in Germany, USA, Spain, Italy.
The boom for such bird maintenance occurred in the 60s – 90s of the last century. Cages for chickens on farms of poultry farms were mounted everywhere. 90% of consumer eggs were made in them.
Huge housing with multi-tiered cages are also reflected in private farms. The experience of this method of maintenance is well established among amateur poultry farmers. Modifications of cages for laying hens were developed especially for the personal compound.
But many owners prefer to independently equip their house. Masterful hands, a grid for cells, a little imagination - that's probably all that is needed. When making sure to adhere to the recommended size. This will help keep the bird in a comfortable environment for it (average):
- width - 70 cm;
- depth - 45.5 cm;
- height - 40 cm;
- cell size - 25x50 mm, and from the side of the feeding trough it should be 50x50;
- area per head - from 400 to 600 cm 2.
Cage sizes for broiler chickens are somewhat different:
- length - 100 cm;
- depth - 65 cm;
- height - 45 cm;
- the area per head is at least 500 cm 2.
They can be more - it all depends on the cross. The main task is to create comfortable conditions for keeping birds and get the maximum possible amount of products from it.
Chickens in cages at home - a great way for a small plot of land. The inability to organize walking the birds, the absence of a large-sized room - these are good reasons to consider the method of cell content.
The content of chickens in cages provides a number of advantages over other ways:
- The ability to control each individual. A daily inspection of the bird makes it easy to identify a sick chicken and help it in time.
- Guaranteed egg production throughout the year. Maintaining a certain lighting schedule and maintaining a temperature regime ensures stable egg production of chickens, regardless of the season.
- Rational feed consumption. The location of the feeder outside the cage does not allow chickens to scatter the food or rake it in the litter. With such a simple device, up to 15% of feed is saved per year.
- Cages for chickens, exposed in several tiers, allow a larger number of poultry to be placed on a smaller area. In industrial poultry houses make three or four tiers, at home - two.
- Low labor costs. One person calmly cope with the maintenance of cells. It is not at all difficult to give food to the bird, to make sure that there is water in the drinking bowls, and to clean the pan.
- Sloping floor ensures that the eggs roll into a special tray. This prevents accidental damage and is much cleaner.
- The grid on the floor allows the litter to freely fall on the pallet. The bird is not in contact with it, which greatly improves zoohygienic indicators and reduces the incidence of birds. This allows significant savings on veterinary drugs.
Specialists, along with the unconditional economic benefits of the cage maintenance of the bird, point out some difficulties:
- Cages for chickens restrict movement. The bird cannot calmly grovel in the ground, seek out bugs or pebbles, peck greens. Most of the time it is motionless.
- The appearance of naminov on breast or legs of chickens. In addition, when catching birds, it gets damaged, especially for broilers.
- Meat chickens lose egg production. Layers do not have such a problem.
Material for cells
The grid for cells can be of two types: metal and plastic. Both materials have their advantages and disadvantages.
- will serve not one ten years;
- resistant to adverse conditions and aggressive environments;
- easy to clean;
- does not interfere with air exchange and lighting.
The plastic mesh has the same qualities, in addition you can add:
- it is cheaper;
- lighter than metal counterpart;
- can be produced in various colors;
- does not rot;
- maintains temperature from -50 to +80 degrees;
- does not fade;
- there is the possibility of its repeated use.
Modern industry is able to meet any requirements of consumers with a large choice of cell size.
Among the experts, there is a continuing debate about the appropriateness of the cellular content of the bird. Of course, this is a progressive and technologically sound method. Cell batteries, equipped with the latest technology, at times facilitate the work of the staff at the poultry houses.
However, there are farmers who prefer floor keeping of laying hens. The egg received in such poultry houses costs more, and the demand for it grows every year. As for broilers, Western experts strongly oppose their cellular content.