Poultry farming is one of the most important branches of agriculture, which is able to provide the population with food in a short time. An intensive method of farming involves the active use of new methods. Cellular content of poultry has long been an integral part of the production of eggs. Cages for chickens are being improved. Designers are developing new options with the maximum possible mechanization of all processes.
In the post-war period, the acute problem of the population's food pushed to the development of industrial cellular poultry. The most famous and powerful manufacturers of such equipment are in Germany, USA, Spain, Italy.
The boom for this content of birds came in the 60-90s of the last century. Cages for chickens on poultry farm farms were installed everywhere. 90% of eggs for consumer use were produced in them.
Huge buildings with multi-tiered cells were reflected in private farms. The experience of this method of content has perfectly proved itself among poultry-lovers. Specifically for the personal farmstead, cell modifications have been developed for the maintenance of laying hens.
But many owners prefer to independently equip their house. Masterovitye hands, a grid for cells, a little imagination - that's probably all that is needed. At manufacturing necessarily adhere to the recommended sizes. This will help keep the bird in a comfortable environment (average indicators):
- width - 70 cm;
- depth - 45.5 cm;
- height - 40 cm;
- the size of the cell is 25x50 mm, and from the side of the feeder tray it must be 50x50;
- the area per head is from 400 to 600 cm 2.
The dimensions of the cage for broiler chickens are somewhat different:
- length - 100 cm;
- depth - 65 cm;
- height - 45 cm;
- the area per head is not less than 500 cm 2.
They can be more - it all depends on the cross. The main task is to create comfortable conditions for keeping the poultry and to get the maximum possible number of products from it.
Chickens in cages at home are an excellent way out for a small piece of land. The inability to organize a paddock, the absence of a large room is a good reason to consider the method of cell content.
The content of chickens in the cells gives a number of advantages over other ways:
- The ability to monitor each individual. Daily inspection of the bird makes it easy to identify a sick chicken and help her in time.
- Guaranteed receipt of eggs throughout the year. Maintaining a certain lighting schedule and observing the temperature regime guarantees stable egg laying of the hens, regardless of the season.
- Rational feed consumption. The arrangement of the feeder outside the cell limits does not allow the chickens to scatter the feed or rake it into the litter. On such a simple adaptation, up to 15% of the food is saved per year.
- Cages for chickens, exposed in several tiers, allow a smaller area to accommodate a larger number of birds. In industrial poultry houses, three to four tiers are made, at home - two.
- Small labor costs. One person will calmly cope with the maintenance of cells. It's quite easy to feed the bird, make sure that there is water in the water cartridges, and clean the pallet.
- The inclined floor allows the egg to roll into a special tray. This prevents accidental damage to it, and it is much cleaner.
- The mesh on the floor allows the droppings to easily fall onto the pallet. The bird does not come into contact with it, which greatly improves zoo hygienic indices and reduces the incidence of birds. This allows you to significantly save on veterinary drugs.
Specialists, along with the unconditional economic benefits of cellular poultry keeping, also note some difficulties:
- Cages for chickens restrict movement. The bird can not row stealthily in the earth, look for bugs or pebbles, peck green. Most of the time it is motionless.
- The appearance of nimes on the breast or paws of chickens. In addition, when catching a bird, it gets damaged, especially in broilers.
- Meat chickens lose egg-laying. Nesushki does not have such a problem.
Material for cells
The grid for cells can be of two types: metal and plastic. Both materials have their shortcomings and advantages.
Mesh made of metal:
- will serve more than a dozen years;
- is resistant to unfavorable conditions and aggressive environments;
- easy to clean;
- does not interfere with air exchange and lighting.
A mesh of plastic has the same qualities, in addition you can add:
- it is cheaper;
- lighter metal equivalent;
- can be produced in different colors;
- does not rot;
- can withstand temperatures from -50 to +80 degrees;
- does not fade;
- there is the possibility of its repeated use.
Modern industry is able to meet any customer requirements by a large selection of cell sizes.
Among specialists, there are still discussions about the advisability of cellular keeping of birds. Of course, this is a progressive and technologically sound method. Cell batteries, equipped with the latest technology, at times facilitate the work of maintenance personnel in poultry.
Nevertheless, there are farmers who prefer the outdoor maintenance of laying hens. Egg, obtained in these poultry houses, is more expensive, and the demand for it grows every year. As for broilers, Western experts are categorically against their cellular content.