Wherever you go on vacation or for business, the need to have the currency of the country visited. Let's deal with the question of what currency to take to Bulgaria.
Small Bulgaria shakes sunshine and warmth. It is famous for its magnificent nature: the Black sea, blue Danube river, Rhodope mountains, Golden beaches... And attracting the lovers of tasty wine, because Bulgaria is a country of wine!
Here you will find plenty of fun (shopping, resorts and so on) and will be able to visit a large number of cultural events (museums, castles, etc.). What's the national cuisine!
There is no preferred season for visiting Bulgaria. The climate here is always very mild: the summer is rainy and warm, and the winter is frost-free (the thermometer mark rarely drops below zero).
But as they say, to pay for everything. What currency is used in Bulgaria? Will talk about this later.
What currency is used in Bulgaria?
The national monetary unit is the Bulgarian Lev (abbreviation BGN). It was established in 1880 and is comprised of one hundred stotinki (just like in Russia, the ruble is composed of a hundred cents). In different periods of history, the Lev was pegged to the French franc and the Soviet roubles, and now to the Euro.
Bulgarian money today issued the following value:
- banknotes - 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 BGN;
- coins - 1, 5, 10, 20 and 50 stotinki.
It should also be borne in mind that in some countries it is very difficult to exchange your money into Bulgarian for the simple reason that demand, they did not particularly enjoy. So then what currency to take to Bulgaria and if they can pay with something other than BGN?
Since the country is part of the European Union, in some places in large cities you can pay the euro. Accept this currency can hotels, restaurants, major stores, gas stations, organizers of tours and excursions.
In public transport, you do not pay anything except the Bulgarian levs.
What currency to take to Bulgaria is best for exchange: euros or dollars?
To exchange convertible currency is possible for all tourists at the airport on arrival, banks, hotels, exchange offices, large shops and even at the point of hire of road transport. So do not worry if you do not have time to know what currency to take to Bulgaria.
Almost everywhere to exchange is accepted by a money standard, such as: Euro, us dollar, Swiss franc and British pound. Of course, large banks, this list is much more.
As for what currency to take to Bulgaria cheaper: euros or dollars, the answer here depends on the course. Since 2000-ies the rate of the Bulgarian Lev tightly pegged to the Euro and not much changes. The average exchange rate of BGN to EUR is 1:2. But the dollar fluctuations occur quite often. Therefore, financial experts believe that to travel to Bulgaria, you should give preference to the Euro, if it is not possible to purchase levs.
The mode of operation of Bulgarian banks – from 9:00 to 15:00 local time, and exchange – from 9:00 to 17:00.
Financial advice to the tourist
Use the above tips to enjoy a holiday in Bulgaria:
- In mid-1999 the country was followed by the denomination, which involves removal from circulation of old Bank notes. Therefore, all banknotes and coins with a release date in the period from 1991 to 1998, receiving payment for goods and services not subject.
- In some places you can pay by international Bank card MasterCard, Visa, Maestro, American Express and Dinners Club.
- Souvenirs can be purchased for leva or euro.
- Make currency exchange in banks, as the rate there is significantly higher than at other points.
- Again check with the course before the accomplishment of the exchange transaction, since the real value may differ significantly from that on the scoreboard (there can write a course to exchange more than a thousand euros).
- In Bulgaria, it is strictly forbidden to make currency exchange with the hands. For such relying fines.
- If there is no opportunity to bring euros to Bulgaria, then take dollars or British pounds.
- Unlimited import of currency is allowed to Bulgaria. But if your amount exceeds eight thousand levs, then you need to fill out a declaration.
- The export of currency is also unlimited, and the declaration must also be filled in from the sum of eight thousand levs.
We hope that the article about what currency to take to Bulgaria, was useful for you. Have a good trip!