It is possible to choose a highly effective vehicle for fastening a bicycle based on the following requirements:
- It is desirable that the bicycle lock possesses a cable whose length is more than 1.5 m. This will reliably fasten not only the frame of the two-wheeled vehicle, but also the wheels, which are often the main target of the intruders.
- Making the thief once again suffer and increase his own chances of timely detection of hacking allows the purchase of systems with the most thick chains and cables.
- It is recommended to give preference to locks with metal cases that are difficult to break with a hammer or damage with nippers.
The main types of fasteners that are used in bicycle locks are cables and chains. And due to the low weight, low cost and convenience in everyday use, you can often see a bicycle lock with a cable.
Even the longest cables are coiled into a spiral, easily twisted around the frame or the seat rack, taking up minimal space during transportation. For example, the rather popular Cyclotech bicycle lock can be easily attached to the seat thanks to the special attachment.
With the help of a cable with a length of several meters, you can firmly forge any elements of the bicycle construction. On the way, the cable allows you to fix the whole mass of things on the trunk. At the same time, even the longest bicycle lock with a cable weighs no more than 1 kg.
As for the shortcomings of bicycle anti-theft systems with a cable, with a small thickness there is a high probability of their cutting. For this, a fairly good reinforcing scissors. Well, to deal with the most delicate wires, the hijacker will need ordinary household wire cutters.
If we talk about fasteners in the form of chains, then here preference should be given to products made of carbide metal with a good padlock. Cheap iron chains of small thickness are not only easy to cut with a hacksaw, but also easy to break with your bare hands.
However, the bike lock anti-theft chain lock also has a clear disadvantage. Due to their considerable thickness, the most reliable locks are distinguished by an impressive weight, which becomes not very convenient in terms of transportation. Chains can easily damage paint on a bicycle. Therefore, it is recommended to purchase locks with chains closed with fabric or plastic covers.
As practice shows, the old cylinder and lever locks are not too high degree of reliability. With experience, skilled crackers break open such systems with ordinary wire. A bicycle code lock can become a more effective alternative.
Most combination locks have shockproof metal cases and a complex cipher. The main advantage here is the lack of the need to carry a key. The main thing is to remember the code value well.
The anti-theft system with arc-shaped fixings is difficult to cut with scissors or a hacksaw. Moreover, U-shaped grippers cannot be straightened with a crowbar.
The disadvantage of this solution is the lack of possibility of attaching a bicycle to a tree or a wide pole in the absence of a special bicycle parking. In this case, the only option is to fasten the bike to any metal fence along with the frame and rear wheel.
To add it is only that locks with U-shaped grippers are mostly bulky items. Therefore, it is inconvenient to transport them on a bicycle frame.
Eccentrics in the construction of a two-wheeled vehicle are very practical when it is necessary to quickly dismantle individual parts during maintenance and repair. Unfortunately, for intruders who hunt mostly for the wheels of the bike, this creates additional convenience. To solve the problem allows the use of ring wheel stoppers.
It will help to figure out how to use such a bicycle lock, instruction. To begin with, lock the ring around the wheel rim. Then you need to slam the mechanism latch and lock the anti-theft tool. In conclusion, it is worthwhile to check once again how securely the stopper is fixed. About the same principle operates lock for the bicycle chain.
Naturally, the stoppers on the wheels can not be called an ideal anti-theft tool. After all, if desired, the attacker will be able to carry the bike on the shoulder or load it into the car. However, the blockers take up little space, are lightweight and are easy to operate. The most efficient use of such locks in combination with other common systems.
Often bicycle theft occurs in the most crowded places. To attract the attention of passers-by at the right time and to frighten off the burglar allows the installation of a bicycle alarm.
Most models of alarm systems for two-wheeled vehicles are extremely irritating sound. Even a bicycle with a relatively unreliable lock with an alarm will become a pretty tough nut for a cracker.
The cost of such means of theft prevention starts from $ 10. With a remote control, the price of the alarm may be slightly higher.
To reduce the likelihood of theft of a bicycle, it’s enough to pay attention to the following tips:
- Attackers with experience will find an approach to any castle, regardless of the situation. Therefore, you should not leave the bike unattended for a long time, especially at night.
- It is a mistake to believe that an expensive, high-quality lock will guarantee the absolute protection of a bicycle. Anti-theft systems exist to prevent theft, and professional burglars do not like to surrender.
- To increase the level of protection of the bike in the parking lot, it is recommended to use several locks of different types simultaneously. For example, using a long chain or cable, you can lock the wheels, and attach the frame to the parking rack with a U-shaped grip.
- To frighten intruders, you can use a whole series of light lock systems. Seeing the balls of frames, cables and chains, the burglar will probably decide to find the catch easier.