A rowing machine, unlike treadmills and exercise bikes, is not particularly popular. Most likely, the reason is that it is more difficult to train on it. Nevertheless, every year such sports equipment is becoming more popular, due to the wide functionality. With the help of the rowing simulator, you can bring the body into a good shape and lose weight. Today we will figure out how to choose it so that it becomes a reliable assistant in home workouts.
What is a rowing machine for?
What muscles work? Studies show that rowing is second only to cross-country skiing in terms of the number of muscle groups involved. Properly exercising on the rowing simulator, you can use 82% of the muscles. It allows you to work on almost the whole body: shoulder girdle, press, buttocks, back and legs. It all depends on the technique of execution.
In the modern world, when every minute counts, the versatility of simulators is especially valuable. Another significant advantage of such devices is the development of endurance, as well as training of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems. Rowing movements, with all their effectiveness, are sparing, therefore they are suitable for almost anyone. The only exceptions are people suffering from back diseases.
What is he like?
The basic design of the rowing simulator consists of a seat, handle, frame and flywheel. Classes on it are very close to rowing on a boat: the athlete goes down along the rail, and then returns to the starting position with the help of legs, back and shoulder girdle. Electronics, which are equipped with modern models, allows you to measure the pulse, calories burned and other indicators.
Misconceptions about the rowing simulator
- Training on the rowing simulator develops mainly hands. As you already know, it is not. If desired, you can load, for example, only the back or legs only. If you perform a standard comprehensive exercise, which, in principle, and calculated the exerciser, the load will be distributed evenly.
- Training is contraindicated for people suffering from spinal diseases.. In some cases, exercise is not contraindicated. Here, again, it all depends on technology. If you want you can make it so that the spine will be loaded only slightly. If in doubt about the security of the simulator for your back, consult a doctor.
- The simulator develops mainly endurance. Stamina does exercise, but not less than coordination and muscle.
- The simulator is aimed at a set of muscle mass, and not for weight loss. Of course, exercise rowing machine is not as effective for weight loss as running, however it allows you to burn quite a lot of calories (about 800 calories through intense workout). Actually, this lesson is recommended for people with a medium degree of obesity and those who suffer from high blood pressure.
A rowing machine can have two types of thrust: Scandinavian and central. Scandinavian (also Latin) is as close as possible to classic rowing. It allows you to use mainly the muscles of the back. It is believed that this type of traction is more suitable for experienced athletes.
Central thrust is good for homework. It gives you the opportunity to work the body in a complex and bring it into tone.
By design, rowing simulators are mechanical and magnetic. Let us examine each of the species.
In terms of price, this is the most affordable rowing machine. The load on the muscles is created with the help of a number of constructive solutions:
- hydraulic cylinders;
- blades that resist air.
The resistance force in each of the options can be adjusted manually. When working simulator creates a lot of noise. Many models are equipped with a fan that simulates a headwind. The mechanical unit cannot provide smooth movement and loads the muscles less effectively compared to the magnetic analog.
In general, we can distinguish the following advantages of the mechanical model:
- Low cost.
- Simple construction.
- Does not require electricity.
- High noise.
- Limited functionality.
- Limited smoothness of movement.
This type is regulated electronically and allows you to smoothly vary the load without stopping the lesson. Such simulators, as a rule, do not make noise and are equipped with electronics to control calorie consumption, pulse rate and load level. Due to the smoothness and large amplitude of the movement, the simulator allows you to work out the muscles well by doing an average amount of work.
The main advantages of this type:
- Wide functionality.
- Smooth running.
- A wide range of adjustments.
- High price.
- The need for power.
- Large size.
What to look for when choosing?
Choosing a rowing machine, you should take into account such moments:
- Compactness. A rowing machine is a great choice for home workout, but he has impressive length. Some models are suitable for vertical storage that is a great solution for small apartments. There are folding options that are more solid but much more convenient in terms of storage. However, the compact model has a length of about 1.3 m and a width of about 0.4 m. Picking up the simulator in size, it is worth considering that it needs not only to fit into the interior, but also to fit the physiological parameters of the exercising.
- Adjustment. Ease of training depends on the position of an emphasis for feet and arms, and seat height. It is desirable that the stops coincide with the size of the foot. But if the unit is purchased for the whole family, you should pay attention to models with adjustable pedals.
- Frame design. If the area your home allows you to purchase a machine with a solid metal frame and seat on an aluminum basis, it is recommended to choose this option. It will serve reliably for many years. In General, before buying need to sit on the simulator and check that it does not bend under your weight.
- Transmission. From its quality depends on your comfort level with boating. To choose such cables and chains that will not create discomfort during exercise. The simulator should work without unnecessary tension and with a good return when accelerating. Everything must be predictable. If motion is intermittent, and load is constantly fluctuating, it is not necessary to spend money on a model.
- Load adjustment Simulators may additionally have the function of step change in load. Such models allow you to optimize heart rate and create optimal conditions for muscle tone.
- Console. Almost every model of modern rowing machine has built-in console. It allows you to configure the session, to track current performance and to keep them. It can help to know about the time of exercise, its intensity, the distance traveled, number of strokes and calories burned.
- Pulse measurement. Indicators such as pulse rate, is very important for a successful workout. Many modern rowing machines can be measured with high accuracy. There are models in which the pulse sensors are built into the handle. However, more accurate data provide the trainers with a wireless chest sensor – cardiospasm. Wired devices that are attached to the ear, are less sure.
- Seat It should be such that even long training does not cause unpleasant sensations. The basis of the seat should be practical and of high quality, just like the guide frame.
- Power supply. For mechanical simulators and models with built-in DC generator power is not provided. In other cases, it is worth considering how you will connect the simulator.
It is impossible to say unequivocally which rowing equipment is better. It all depends on the individual preferences of the buyer. Let's get acquainted with several well-known models.
The main advantage of this model is a unique system of aerodynamic drag. It depends on the intensity of strokes. All the basic parameters of the lesson are displayed on a convenient monitor. The frame, made of extruded aluminum with a coating of stainless steel, with a small weight has good strength characteristics. The Concept 2 rowing machine is quickly disassembled, which significantly reduces storage space. The price of the model is about 1500 dollars.
The Kettler Favorit rowing machine has a hydraulically operated mechanical load system and is equipped with a display, which displays all the basic parameters of the training. The hydraulic system smoothly and steplessly loads the trainee, with the ability to adjust the degree of effort. Sensor-clip allows you to measure the pulse rate with acceptable accuracy. Such a simulator costs about 400 dollars.
This is a good model for beginners. It is simple and small. A large number of adjustments allows you to engage in the simulator people of different build. The main advantage enjoyed by the Torneo Golfstream rowing machines is the low price (about $ 200). It causes the main drawback - the quality of the assembly and components. In order for the simulator to work well, it needs to be slightly modified. The first thing to do is to replace the wooden base of the seat.
How to train
So, now that you know how to choose a rowing machine for home, consider the basic principles of training on such a unit.
- It is worth starting a lesson with low speed and resistance. The average rate of the initial stage - 20-25 strokes per minute.
- You should not strain any one muscle group and try to row only with its help (if working out of this group is not your main goal), the load should be distributed evenly.
- Do not strain your joints. The knee joint is most affected.
- No need to lean forward when stroking.
- The movement should be smooth, without any jerks and sudden stops.
- And, of course, you shouldn't over-peer!
Today we learned what a rowing machine is, which muscles work in rowing and how to choose the right model. Every year the simulators are becoming more serious technologically and more versatile - in practical terms. Therefore, it is difficult to identify the best rowing machine for the house. It all depends on the personal wishes of each person.