Owners of bicycles are spared from such problems as the need for expensive refueling of vehicles and endless idle traffic jams. However, what to do if the beginning of the planned route is too far? In such cases, you have to find a solution for conveniently transporting the bike on your own car.
Let's look at how to install the bicycle luggage on the hitch, what are the advantages of this method of transportation.
What is a hitch mount?
Immediately it should be noted that the installation of a similar basis for securely securing two-wheeled vehicles on a car is a rather expensive option. However, if the car is initially equipped with a hitch, this solution looks beneficial.
It is recommended to install the bike rack on the hitch for 3 or more bikes. Roomy mount will become indispensable if you need to transport "iron horses" for the whole family when organizing a joint trip. At the same time, even while driving at impressive speed, the aerodynamics of the car will not suffer.
Install the bicycle rack on the hitch can do it yourself. To do this, the prepared platform is attached to the rear drawbar with strong clamps. Next, secure the rack, designed to hold the wheels of two-wheeled vehicles. Fixation of bicycles is ensured by reliable clamps.
Some motorists fear about the convenience of operating the rear luggage compartment after installing this kind of mounts. However, such difficulties are foreseen in advance by the developers who invented the bicycle luggage on the hitch. To ensure convenience, a latch is initially present on the structure, with which the fastener is loosened and lowered as soon as necessary. In this case, free access to the trunk is somewhat limited. However, the necessary things can be obtained almost without obstacles.
Fastening of bicycle luggage - advantages
What does a motorist get by paying a rather impressive amount when buying a special device for transporting two-wheeled vehicles:
- Bicycles are placed on high-strength profiles. Due to the fixing of the frame in the upper and lower parts, the movement of the “iron horse” in all directions is excluded, even with the most serious shaking.
- Bicycle rack on the towbar allows you to remove the two-wheeled transport in any sequence.
- Even the installation of a standard mount makes it possible to transport bicycles of various brands, size, design and geometry.
- Separate platforms, such as the Thule bicycle luggage compartment, contain integrated locks. The latter are characterized by increased reliability and ease of use compared with cable devices.
- Bicycle rack on the towbar does not force to dismantle the entire structure if necessary to obtain free access to the things in the trunk.
- Mounts in this category are the most simple and reliable. European and American consumers overwhelmingly trust such an option when it comes to transporting bicycles over long distances.
There is no tow bar on every car. And, finally, the loaded design can overlap the license plates, which can lead to some trouble when meeting with the traffic police.
Without a doubt, bicycles for bicycles on the car hitch are extremely convenient. However, this method of transportation does not guarantee that the two-wheeled transport will reach the destination in complete cleanliness and order. After all, the dirt from under the wheels of the car quietly reaches the mount.
Unlike mounts for bicycles that are installed on the roof of personal vehicles, the platforms on the hitch must be selected taking into account the peculiarities of the geometry of the car. As a rule, manufacturers of such structures indicate in their catalogs the brand of machines to which certain products correspond. There are also special attachments to the tow bar, which provide for installation on the car body from the model range "station wagon" or "hatchback."