The owners of bicycles are free from such problems as the need for expensive refueling of fuel and the endless idle traffic. But what if the beginning of the planned route is too far? In such cases, you have to look for a solution for convenient transportation of the bike on your own car.
Let's look at how to install a bike carrier on a towbar, what are the advantages of this method of transportation.
What is a towbar mount?
Immediately it is worth noting that the installation of a similar basis for the secure securing of two-wheeled vehicles by car is a fairly expensive option. However, if a towbar is initially present on the car, such a solution looks profitable.
It is recommended to install the bike carrier on the towbar for 3 bicycles or more. A capacious anchorage will become indispensable if you need to transport "iron horses" for the whole family when organizing a joint trip. At the same time, even during driving at an impressive speed, the aerodynamics of the car will not suffer.
Install the bike carrier on the towbar with your own hands. To do this, the prepared platform is attached to the rear towing device with the help of strong clamps. Further the racks intended for deduction of wheels of a two-wheeled transport are fixed. Fixing of bicycles is provided due to reliable clamps.
Some motorists are afraid about the convenience of using the rear luggage compartment after installing this type of fixture. However, such difficulties are foreseen in advance by the developers who invented the bicycle carrier on the hitch. To ensure the convenience of the design, there is initially a retainer, with which the fastening is loosened and lowered for the first time. In this case, free access to the trunk is somewhat limited. However, the necessary things can be obtained almost without obstacles.
Mounting the bike carrier on the hitch - advantages
What gets a car enthusiast, having paid quite an impressive amount when buying a special device for the transportation of two-wheeled vehicles:
- Bicycles are placed on high-strength profiles. Due to the fixation of the frame in the upper and lower part, the movement of the "iron horse" in any directions is excluded, even with the most serious shaking.
- A trolley on the towbar allows you to shoot two-wheeled vehicles in any order.
- Even the installation of a standard mount makes it possible to transport bicycles of various brands, sizes, designs and geometries.
- Individual platforms, such as the Thule bike carrier, contain integrated locks. The latter are characterized by increased reliability and ease of operation compared to cable devices.
- The bicycle carrier on the towbar does not force to dismantle the entire structure if it is necessary to get free access to things in the trunk.
- The fastenings of this category are the most simple and reliable. European and American consumers in the majority rely on this option, if you need to transport bikes over long distances.
The towbar is not available on every car. And, finally, the loaded design can cover license plates, which can lead to some trouble when meeting with the traffic police.
Without a doubt, the bike carrier for the car tow hitch is extremely convenient. However, such a method of transportation does not guarantee that the two-wheeled transport will reach its destination in full purity and order. After all, dirt from under the wheels of the car quietly reaches the fastening.
Unlike bike bindings, which are installed on the roof of personal transport, the platforms on the towbar must be selected taking into account the features of the geometry of the car. As a rule, manufacturers of such designs indicate in their catalogs the brands of machines to which certain products correspond. There are also special attachments to the towbar, which provide for the installation on the body of cars from the "universal" or "hatchback" lineup.