Volunteering is a fairly wide range of work related to the provision of voluntary and, importantly, gratuitous assistance to all who need it. In most European countries, this movement is massive, but Russian volunteers today are just beginning their journey of goodness and mercy. Virtually no public organization whose activities are aimed at helping and supporting socially vulnerable groups of the population, can not do in their work without assistants. But how to become a volunteer in Moscow, Astrakhan or Rome, where to start, how and to whom exactly can you help? This is the topic of today's article.
Who are the volunteers
The word “volunteering” itself comes from the Latin voluntarius (“voluntary”) and covers a fairly wide range of concepts, including both free physical labor for the benefit of society and the provision of various services and moral support without waiting for monetary rewards. However, volunteering can be considered not only as a waiver of monetary reward - an important component here is the moral aspect.
Helping other people or nature, doing good deeds for the good of society, volunteers often find their own peace of mind and balance, leveling out internal protest against social inequality. This sense of self-worth is so important for some people, that an increasing number of them are thinking about how to become a volunteer, like not having great financial resources, to participate in something really important for society as a whole. That is why in Russia and other countries of the world there are more and more associations of not indifferent people connected by a common goal, selflessly carrying good to those who need it.
Why many people are interested
Before becoming a volunteer, you need to decide what you need it for, what this help means to you. For a better understanding of the subject matter, we will try to compile a list of motivations pushing people to join the volunteer movement:
Satisfaction. For any person is characterized by the desire to be involved in something important, to become a "cog" in the machine of the universe. This kind of activity makes a person feel needed, causes a sense of self-esteem.
Socialization. Quite often, volunteers are people who need additional communication. For them, volunteering is an excellent chance to make new friends, to get additional opportunities for self-development.
Transfer of personal experience. Sometimes volunteers are people who have experienced various diseases, personal tragedies - they, like no one else, know what to advise in a difficult situation, how to overcome a life crisis.
And a few more reasons
Creation. Regardless of the education received, a volunteer can do what he really likes. For example, nothing prevents a tower crane operator from conducting a master class in drawing or art modeling for children from an orphanage (of course, if he can do it).
Self-realization. Volunteering opens the way to new knowledge and skills, helps to establish the necessary connections, strengthened on the social ladder, gain respect and weight in society.
Finance. Despite the fact that volunteering itself implies a lack of payment, many centers allocate funds to employees for food, accommodation and finance travel to other countries.
Travels. Volunteering is one of the most inexpensive ways to see the world. International organizations arrange a variety of trips and send volunteer teams to different countries of the world.
How to start a volunteer activity
So, how to become a volunteer in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Ryazan, Rostov or any other Russian city?
- Determine for yourself who exactly would like to help and what work attracts the most.
- Choose a charitable organization that best meets personal interests. To get acquainted with the statutory documents, conditions of employment, prospects for development.
- Examine the activities of the selected organization: the intended types of assistance, work schedule, risks and responsibilities, the availability of material resources necessary to perform the work.
- Fill out a form, submit other necessary documents and have an interview with representatives of the organization. You should think in advance about exactly what you can be useful in this particular case.
- According to the results of the interview to be accepted into the ranks of the selected volunteer movement or receive a refusal.
What you need to do
Well, how to become a volunteer is more or less clear, but what can such volunteers do? In principle, you can do anything, a common goal - free help to those who need it.
One of the priority activities of volunteers is to provide assistance and support to orphans or children deprived of parental care, the disabled, homeless, retired and so on. However, before becoming a volunteer in an orphanage, hospital or hospice, consider whether you can work with such categories of people as patiently and benevolently as possible, letting their pain and suffering through you every day, treat them without pity. by understanding.
Also, volunteers can provide support and psychological assistance to people suffering from alcohol, drug or gambling addiction, to participate in the social adaptation of former prisoners.
Volunteers can also:
- participate in various animal and environmental movements;
- to hold open events related to upholding the interests of socially vulnerable groups of the population;
- organize charity concerts, exhibitions and other events to raise funds for various needs;
- to participate in ecological programs - gardening of territories, planting flowers, trees and shrubs, to carry out activities for cleaning garbage, clearing rivers, lakes and other reservoirs;
- to take part in socially significant projects initiated by the state: assistance with natural disasters, holding sporting or cultural events of national importance;
- providing psychological support on various Internet resources, telephone hotlines;
Nuances and features of work
Despite the fact that today volunteering is gaining increasing popularity in Russia, not everyone understands its principles and features.
- The volunteer movement is based on the principle of voluntariness - no one can impose such kind of activity on you, and also indicate what kind of help and to whom to render.
- Volunteer assistance is not paid by the state or by charitable organizations; sometimes, however, volunteers are reimbursed for food and accommodation.
- To become a volunteer, you do not need any special skills - everyone does what they can.
- A good volunteer is a balanced and patient personality. Before becoming them, soberly evaluate your personal qualities. If you are an explosive and impulsive person, then, most likely, you will not work with people - take a closer look at projects related, for example, to ecology.
- The volunteer most often works in a team, therefore skills of ability to coexist in a team, mutual help and a feeling of elbow are welcome.
- Volunteering is a responsibility and responsibilities, in any situation it is necessary to respect your colleagues, make the maximum amount of effort to achieve the goal, to comply with the internal rules of the organization.
This is one of the first mass volunteer communities in Russia, created back in 2004. More than 3000 volunteers annually take part in the activities of this organization, and the main task is to establish communications with orphanages and boarding schools. The “Volunteer Club” united managers, teachers, doctors, students, athletes and business leaders — all those who care about the younger generation, children who do not have loving parents who can take care of them.
This organization is only one of many hundreds and thousands scattered throughout the country and beyond. The scope for the application of its potential is unusually high - you just need to want it!