If you want the welding equipment to function smoothly and have lasted for many years, then you need to carefully select the cable. It serves to connect the welding machine to the holder, in which the electrode is attached, and the product itself, which will be subject to welding.
The outer sheath of the cable is made of special hose rubber, which is characterized by high strength. Multi-stranded versions have an additional layer of polymer film, which prevents the cable veins from sticking together with their rubber insulation.
Requirements for welding cables
Since the cable for the welding machine is designed for work with an electric current, strict technological requirements are imposed on it and high safety standards are applied.
- Since the welding cable is laid in different working conditions, its body must be resistant to ruptures, shocks and aggressive chemical environments. As a rule, the braid is made of polymeric materials that do not allow stripping of the veins and damage to the working electric arc or direct current effects.
- Since the welding cable is stored in a wound condition, its multiple winding and unwinding should not affect the elasticity and elasticity of the polymer protection.
- The cross section of the cable for the welding machine must withstand the required current load.
The welding cable should be selected according to the welding current characteristics of the welding machine.
Types of welding cable
Modern manufacturers offer consumers 7 classes of cable, marking which is carried out according to the diameter of its section and the number of cores.
The main ones are:
- Single-core cable for welding machine. The core is made of copper, which has high wire characteristics, flexibility with reeling and elasticity. This cable is used for portable inverters.
- A two-wire cable having two cores - a cathode and an anode - allows high-frequency currents to be used for pulse welding, and alternating currents for cutting metal. The conductors are made of copper or a conductive alloy on a copper base.
- Three-core cable is used in automatic welding units, for welding the pipeline, where an even weld is required.
In addition, the various shell options allow manufacturers to manufacture cables for special climatic conditions:
- Antiseptic or tropical (KG-T), resistant to temperatures up to 50 degrees and high humidity, when there is a risk of damage to molds and microorganisms. In tropical and desert heat, a simple cable can burst with even a slight tension, which will bare the veins.
- Resistant to cold (KG-CL cold-resistant). Their polymer coating is made in a cold-resistant version, so that the cable does not freeze and does not cause cracks. It is used to perform work in those areas that are characterized by a harsh climate with an air temperature reaching -60 ° C.
Welding cable marking
The cable is marked with the following abbreviation:
- KS (welding cable), figures 1,2,3 - number of cores;
- P - indicates the presence of polymer protection;
- HF (P, P) is a constant or alternating high-frequency current.
Welding cable: section
It directly depends on the number and cross-section of the veins.
The veins of the large section (35.6 or 47.2) are used for automatic welding of high voltage, and a cross section of 6.7 mm is used in inverters operating from a 220 V network.
The whole range of cross-sections of different cables, voltage and calculated mass are indicated in specialized catalogs, which help to select exactly the appropriate cable parameters by the approximate current strength and calculated data.
If the cross-section of the cable is incorrectly chosen, this can lead to a short circuit in the inverter or welding machine, which will lead to burnout of the rheostat or breakdown.
If the cross section is smaller, then the current through the veins will not go, but condenses on the fuse, the welder will switch off.
Mark and type of cable should be selected, based on data on the technical characteristics of the welding machine with which it will be used. It is also necessary to take into account the environmental conditions (humidity, air temperature, etc.) during welding. A competently chosen welding cable, whose price is from 100 rubles / m, is a guarantee of the safety of the welder and a guarantee of a long service life of the equipment.