Aching or shooting pain in the lumbar region, buttocks, or in the legs is a common phenomenon that many people have to deal with. In some cases, the pain becomes so severe that it is extremely difficult to endure. With such symptoms, there is every reason to suspect sciatica, which needs exclusively qualified treatment.
The essence of the disease
The sciatic nerve is the longest and thickest in the human body and is formed from five to six nerve roots. The diagnosis of sciatica is made in the event that this nerve is squeezed.
The result of this pinching is a strong "shooting" pain, which gives back, back of the thigh, buttock and can go to the lower part of the leg. The feeling of pain can be defined as the main symptom of sciatica. But at the same time it can have a different nature and causes.
Pain in sciatica
For a clearer idea of how to look at such a disease as sciatica, symptoms and treatment, you need to pay attention to the causes of pain:
- Effect of spinal stenosis and osteochondrosis. In such diseases, the vertebrae are damaged, and sciatica develops as a result. In addition, the patient feels stiff in the muscles. A mild aching pain may give off periodically in the buttock, leg and lower back.
- Intervertebral hernia. Folk treatment of sciatica in this case is not able to completely neutralize the problem, because the nerve is impaired by the bulging destroyed disc, which is extremely difficult to repair. In this state, there is a violation of the blood supply to the pelvic organs and legs. The patient experiences a pronounced "shooting" pain, in which it is very difficult to sleep, sit and walk. Cramps and tension are felt in the muscles of the legs, pelvis and lower back. Pain syndrome manifests itself more clearly in the case of sudden movements and when changing the position of the body. Even sneezing or coughing can cause pain. If nothing is done, the sensitivity of the pelvis and legs will be broken, perhaps even muscle atrophy will develop.
- Reflex pain. Studying sciatica, symptoms and treatment of this disease, you should pay attention to the least dangerous and short-term pain syndrome. It is the result of compression of the sciatic nerve due to edema, which can be defined as the result of impaired blood circulation and muscle spasm. Reflex pain appears after a long and uncomfortable lying in one position, hypothermia, as well as intense physical exertion. The discomfort is mild and usually goes away within a few days (after the disappearance of the edema).
The development of sciatica can be influenced by degenerative diseases of the spine, piriformis syndrome, spinal tumors, dysfunction of the sacroiliac joint, and other diseases.
Treatment methods for sciatica are varied, and the most relevant option can be determined only after competently performed diagnostic measures. Therefore, before proceeding to the effects on the disease, it is necessary to visit a doctor who can determine which disease has to be dealt with.
This should be taken into account the causes of pain and its nature. All unpleasant sensations will be concentrated on one side, since, as a rule, one of the two sciatic nerves is inflamed. For a more accurate diagnosis, radiography of the spine, abdominal cavity and ultrasound is prescribed.
Key Treatment Principles
To obtain the most rapid and high-quality results, it is necessary to use various therapeutic techniques, and this should be done in a comprehensive manner.
If you pay attention to conservative treatment, you can select the following current methods:
- physiotherapy treatment using drugs;
- reflexology, which is essentially acupuncture;
- manual therapy and various massages.
Treatment of sciatic nerve sciatica primarily focuses on the elimination of pain. This task becomes possible through the use of various ointments, tablets, as well as injections that block pain. But this should be done under the strict control of physicians.
With this disease, as sciatica, treatment with drugs also implies the use of drugs belonging to the group of analgesics that have a strong analgesic effect.
Along with these drugs, ointments on pepper bases and pain relievers can be used. The first type of ointment blocks the pain signal throughout the nerve, the second - regulates the tone of muscle tissue and, as a result, relaxes them.
Physiotherapy, massage and exercise therapy
Treatment of sciatic nerve sciatica also implies various physiotherapeutic procedures. This can be paraffin, UHF and phonophoresis. Such therapy is aimed at expanding the range of limb movements, strengthening the muscles that were affected, and at eliminating pain.
It is worth knowing that there are certain contraindications to such treatment. We are talking about patients with tuberculosis, a tendency to bleeding, hypertension and dermatitis. Pregnant women and patients who have been diagnosed with a malignant tumor should also not undergo physical therapy.
Among the most common methods of treatment of the sciatic nerve is a massage, the purpose of which is to eliminate stagnation in the affected muscles and their subsequent strengthening. The most effective is the treatment regimen, which consists of several courses. Each of them has a duration of 10 days. It is important in the process of massaging to exclude any effect on the median line of the spine. But in manual therapy, this area is exposed.
Medication for sciatica
Like any other, medical treatment of the sciatic nerve is designed to relieve pain in the first place. Various drugs can be used for this:
1. Non-steroid group. This category includes “Butadion”, “Aspirin”, “Nurofen”, “Indomethacin”, etc. These drugs have some contraindications. Their use is not recommended for patients who have been diagnosed with a gastric ulcer, gastritis and bronchial asthma. As for the side effects of such drugs, they may look as follows: dizziness and headaches, blood thinning, liver failure, increased pressure, etc. This group of drugs neutralizes the center of inflammation, thereby relieving pain. But their action does not always produce the desired effect.
2. With a disease like sciatica, drug treatment sometimes implies novocaine injections directly into the area that is affected. This way you can stop the pain, which will greatly facilitate the condition of the patient.
3. In some cases, drugs of the drug group are used. Their value is that they quickly eliminate pain. But there is always the risk of getting used to these drugs by the patient.
4. When studying sciatica, symptoms, medication and the use of drugs, you need to pay attention to the use of steroid hormonal drugs. As an example, "Prednisolone". Means of this group are quite effective, but they have side effects: the patient's body weight increases, immunity decreases, hormonal disorders and problems with the gastrointestinal tract are observed. Sometimes steroids can be used in the form of ointments and creams. In the event that there are no noticeable improvements, the injection can be made directly into the sciatic nerve. This is a rather painful procedure, but very effective.
When sciatic nerve sciatica is being treated, drug treatment must be supplemented without fail by physical therapy and physiotherapy procedures. About it further.
Use of procedures
As mentioned above, to act on the inflamed or strangulated sciatic nerve must be complex. Therefore, if with such a problem as sciatica, medical treatment has allowed to overcome the acute stage, then various procedures will help to come to a rapid completion of the process and consolidate a positive result.
This can be as a massage, which was mentioned above, and shock wave therapy, phonophoresis, the impact of dynamic currents of Bernard, etc. At the same time, such procedures have a number of contraindications: they cannot be used during pregnancy, cancer, tuberculosis, drug addiction and alcoholism, skin and chronic diseases, bleeding, in childhood, in the acute stage of the disease and any health problems during the exacerbation.
Initially, it is worth noting that this approach will be effective if the main drugs are taken. When you have to overcome sciatica, treatment with folk remedies at home will involve different ways of healing.
It is recommended constantly, throughout the whole cycle of therapy there is sauerkraut. This will help create a favorable environment for the growth and reproduction of beneficial bacteria. Lactic acid, which is contained in cabbage, improves the patient's condition for sciatica.
Pay attention to the beeswax compresses. The wax itself must be melted in a water bath. At the same time, it is necessary to rub the affected area with animal, propolis and burdock oil. After that, melted wax with a wide brush should be applied layer by layer on the skin. Temperature is selected individually for each patient. When the wax compress is ready, it is covered with a blanket or a woolen shawl and wait until it cools completely.
There are other ways to overcome sciatica. Treatment of drugs in this case does not exclude, but it can be supplemented with infusion of pine buds. To do this, you will need 2-3 tablespoons of buds, which must be poured with boiling water (0.5 l). Capacity should be covered and left for 12 hours. The resulting infusion can be used inside (half a cup three times a day), and in the form of compresses.
The compress from rye dough is also relevant. It is made very simply: knead dough made from rye flour (without yeast), after which it is left until it becomes sour. Next on the gauze, which was pre-folded, you must apply a two-centimeter layer of the obtained “medicine” and place it on the sore spot. Compress is left overnight. The procedure is repeated for 10 days. To improve the effect, you can add 30 drops of turpentine, but do it better on the third or fourth approach.
When sciatica develops, treatment with folk remedies at home may include bathing with pine shoots. To prepare the bath, you will have to find 1 kg of pine shoots, pour boiling water over them, observing a 1: 3 ratio, and boil it with the lid closed for 10 minutes. The resulting decoction must be infused for 4 hours. The finished infusion is filtered and added to the bath (proportion 1:15 l). The most optimal temperature is 34 ° C. The procedure should last 15 minutes.
Compress from horseradish root also deserves attention. Its preparation involves the formation of cakes from potatoes and horseradish, which were previously crushed, as well as spoons of honey. The resulting cake is wrapped with gauze and fixed on the waist. After that, you need to wrap a blanket.
When you have to deal with such a problem as sciatica, medical treatment, as you can see, is not the only way to neutralize the pain. But any alternative methods should be coordinated with your doctor.
Often, with a disease like sciatica, spa treatment is prescribed. It, as a rule, includes various water procedures. We are talking about hydromassage, normal swimming and pearl baths.
When there is a question of effectiveness, which can give treatment of sciatic nerve sciatica, drug treatment should be supplemented with constant walks on foot. If you walk in a quiet step for an hour, then the question of re-infringement of the nerve is unlikely to ever rise again.
But to sit for a long time in one position with sciatica is not recommended. If you have to sit due to the peculiarities of the labor process, then every 45 minutes you need to get up and do an easy warm-up. You can stand or walk. It would not be superfluous to perform simple exercises that help relieve tension from the muscles of the legs and back.
Any exercise with sciatica should be monitored by a doctor. This principle is very important to remember. As for the common exercise options, they look like this:
1. When lying on the floor, bend your knees and rest them on the floor, setting shoulder width apart. Hands must be stretched along the body. Straining the buttocks and back, you need as much as possible to press the spine and lower back to the floor. This position will have to fix for 30 seconds, after which you can relax. The number of repetitions - 15.
2. In the supine position, arms are stretched out, and legs are bent at the knees and placed on the floor. Bent knees are drawn to the chest, and the buttocks are wrapped around the arms. To be in this position is necessary from 30 to 60 seconds. You need to repeat the exercise 10-15 times.
3. Resting his elbows on the floor, you need to pull back, then relax. Perform the exercise 10 times.
Code is worried about sciatica, medication, as you can see, needs a competent supplement. But you can not ignore it.
The conclusion is simple: if the sciatic nerve began to bother you, you need to go to the doctor and not get carried away with self-treatment. Even folk techniques should be used after the examination and recommendations of doctors. Do not be ill!
Very often, sciatica is the result of a breakdown in the energy bonds of the spine itself or its parts. In this case, you need to restore these connections and the problem of sciatica will go away. Well, the spine is the main line of our energy system. In this case, not only the whole spine as a whole will be restored, but also all the lost connections, as a result, sciatica will pass. Healers do it very effectively.
15 Hollywood stars that are very old
10 interesting facts about Cleopatra
7 things that make a woman beautiful and without makeup
Fatal eight-year age difference. Why you should not build such a relationship?
7 mistakes of women who repel men
16 intimate things that each pair should do at least once
27 facts about sex that may come in handy
8 signs that it's time to break the relationship
All men dream of women doing it more often: 15 facts