Duroc is a breed of pigs in the meat industry, which is widely distributed throughout the world and is distinguished by high meat qualities. The problem of providing food for the population of the Earth is acute. Production of meat products requires serious investments. Pig production is an industry that is able to provide quick and effective return on investment.
In the world there are more than one hundred different breeds of pigs. In pig breeding there are four main areas of breeding:
- Breeds of universal productivity. These include animals meat and greasy direction. This is the largest group. They give numerous offspring in the shortest possible time.
- The second group includes pigs bred for meat and bacon direction. It also includes the Duroc pig breed (see below). They get lean meaty pork.
- Lardy - have excellent fattening qualities. In the carcasses most of the fat.
- Decorative - these include minipigs and micropigs. Of great economic importance, they do not have. Bred for the maintenance of pigs as indoor pets.
All groups of animals are in demand.
Brief description of Duroc pigs: large animals of red color, compact and strong build, with a pronounced meat exterior.
The original animals that served to breed the Duroc pigs were brought to the American continent by numerous immigrants.
The founders include red Guinea pigs from the West coast of Africa. Large animals are covered with a soft reddish beard, was crossed with the Portuguese and Spanish individuals. Later, America was introduced to the Berkshires. They are distinguished by the reddish, sandy sometimes a suit. These animals also participated in the formation of a new breeding group.
The result of numerous and diverse crosses were animals with certain breed characteristics. The systematic tribal work was continued with them.
Parallel work was carried out in two states - New York (Duroc) and Jersey (jersey). Initially, both breed groups were divorced independently and had different characteristics:
- The individuals of the jersey were large, late-ripened, with a rough bone. Had a crest along the back, weakly expressed, small head, wide overhanging ears.
- The Duroc breed of pigs (photos posted in the article) was inferior in size to the animals of the Jersey breed. Hallmarks Durakov were early maturity, thin bones, lovely meat shape and very high cost of feed.
Over time, the animals crossed among themselves. A new breed was obtained, slightly less than a jersey. From the New York representatives they inherited the elegance of the backbone and early maturity. Duroc was officially registered in 1883.
Today, the Duroc is a breed of pigs, which is a large, hardy animal, perfectly adapted to grazing.
Payment of feed - one of the most important economic indicators in beef cattle. It depends on the profitability of the entire farm, in addition, there are a number of indicators that determine the profitability of growing pigs.
Duroc (pig breed): a characteristic of external signs
- The body is wide and deep, of moderate length (up to 180 cm), with a well-made ham.
- Strong constitution.
- The back has an arcuate shape.
- High strong legs, with a straight "elephant" postavami.
- Head with a curved (not much) profile, with full ganache, ears hanging meat.
- The suit is red with variations of shades from golden to dark cherry.
If initially Duroc was greasy, then thanks to the long-term efforts of breeders and systematic breeding selection, modern animals have become more meat-oriented. This was demanded by consumer demand.
The ability to live in fresh air significantly reduces the cost of maintaining and breeding pigs. The breed is subject to the disease “atrophic rhinitis,” which determines the breeding area of animals - dry and warm climate. Unfortunately, no drug preventive measures save from atrophic rhinitis.
Duroc (pig breed): benefits
Breeders have worked on securing the necessary qualities. The advantages of animals include:
- fast growth;
- early maturity;
- carcass uniformity;
- high quality meat;
- the possibility of grazing;
- calm temper.
Durokes have proven themselves in industrial (user) crossing. Excellent performance in such hybrids:
- large white breed of pigs and meat breed of pigs Dyurok;
- the pig breeds Landrace and the meat breed of pigs are Duroc.
Industrial crossing gives a great métis, able to grow quickly and recoup the cost of feed. Great meat quality and a stable transfer of their properties to offspring allow me to lean on Duroc pigs for breeding.
Duroc is a breed of pigs, distinguished by stability, and is one of the four best in the world. The number of livestock ranks second. It is most widely spread in the USA, Europe, and China. Due to local customs that do not allow Muslims to eat meat from pigs, there is practically no Durok breed in the countries of the Middle East.
As flaws are noted:
- fairly low fecundity (on average, 9 piglets);
- demanding in the selection of the right diet (need protein nutrition);
- predisposition to atrophic rhinitis (runny nose);
- incorrect postav limbs.
The dry and warm climate provides healthy livestock of pigs and high yield of young stock. Duroc is a breed of pigs, reviews of which in terms of meat productivity cannot be negative. Gentle, with layers of fat, the so-called marble meat is particularly in high demand among consumers.
Protein food provides the correct formation of the body Constitution and nutritional quality of meat, which is famous for the breed Duroc. Pigs should ensure that the correct protein food, otherwise the animal's growth may slow down. The body will weaken and as a result, the pig farmer instead of the expected profit will get sick of immature animals.
The ability of pigs to find in the pasture vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients contained in the grass, contribute to the proper development of the body of the young. Organic food provides the formation of high-quality tasty meat.
For feeding use:
- combined silo;
- cereals (they should not be abused, otherwise the meat will be too greasy).
The number of feedings in the winter period is increased up to three times, in summertime they are limited to two. If you adhere to this dietary schedule, you can get a uniform carcass of excellent meat with a thickness of bacon not more than 1.5 cm.
In terms of volume, an adult eats up to 2.5 buckets of food per day. This includes dairy products, vegetables, waste from the table and other available feed.
To guarantee fertilization of the sow, experts recommend to mating on the second day of hunting females. The first sign of hunting is the concern of the animal, increases its motor activity, the female refuses food and water.
Warm and dry - these conditions require the breed Duroc. Pigs are kept in warm rooms. When farrowing, the air temperature must be maintained at least 25 o C. The pigsty must be warmed, put dry litter on the floor (as a rule, sawdust). If necessary, in the winter, apply additional means of heating.
Taking into account the fact that the number of pigs born is small (up to 10 animals), mothers milk is enough for them. To improve its absorption, piglets are given special supplements with vitamins. It should be noted that sows are very caring towards their offspring.
With proper care and maintenance, up to 92% of piglets survive. This is a high figure.
Best of all for the advantages of breeding this breed can say its productivity. Duroc is a breed of pigs whose performance characteristic is as follows:
- high precocity - 100 kg can reach to 6 months of age;
- average daily gain can reach 950 grams (the record was recorded in the amount of 1016 grams);
- average fecundity is assessed as satisfactory;
- the survival rate of young stock is 92%;
- temper is calm;
- sows have a very well developed maternal instinct;
- remarkable tastes of meat, ink homogeneous;
- the weight of the boar reaches 370 kg, sows - 320 kg;
- slaughter yield more than 80%;
- salted pork fat does not exceed 2 cm.
Animals are difficult to maintain in the climatic conditions of Russia. Wet and cool weather can provoke the development of atrophic rhinitis. But with all the requirements of the breed, including abundant protein nutrition, the result will be excellent.
It makes sense to grow Duroc meat for meat. The breed of pigs, reviews of which confirm the viability of using animals of this particular breed group both as an independent breed and as improving for the local livestock.