In modern architecture there are no trifles, which proves a stylish house with a bay window. This element is a part of the room, which protrudes from the plane of the wall, supplemented by one large or several small windows, glazed around the perimeter. All modern bay windows are built with well-defined forms, but arbitrary outlines are sometimes possible.
The main task
Bay window is an amazing architectural element. On the one hand, thanks to him, the appearance of any building that becomes aesthetic and stylish is transformed. On the other hand, it is possible to increase living space. On the third floor, a house with a bay window is a great opportunity to realize various design ideas in the interior.
Each bay window, whatever form it may be and under what room it would be allotted, has such structural elements as a base, a fence and a roof. Moreover, the base plays an important role, since it accounts for the payload of the floor. This architectural element can be erected with bearing or non-bearing walls. In the first variant, a foundation is needed; in the second, bay windows are placed on special cantilever floor slabs.
Types and features
House designs with bay windows are very popular today. At the same time, elements of the most diverse geometry can be planned in them. Features of its design are such that you can choose a very different form:
- Square or rectangular. These are the simplest designs that are distinguished by ease of design and installation. They look beautiful in any building, allowing you to bring different ideas into the interior design. Projects of houses with a bay window of this form can be implemented using bricks, blocks, frame technology and panel housing construction;
- Round. This form focuses on the style of the building (most often it is the European version). This bay window is an opportunity to give an interesting look to any corner of the building, but sometimes it is placed in the center of the wall. Most often, the architectural element of this form is used in the construction of brick or foam blocks. But in the construction of wooden houses such a bay window can neither be designed nor built.
- Semicircular. This is an elegant element that requires careful attention to design. The design of houses with a semi-circular bay window can be very effective, but it is important to feel a measure so that the facade does not become coarse.
- Multifaceted. This is the most difficult, but also the most beautiful form of the bay window. Most often, this option is chosen when building houses from a timber.
One or two floors?
In private housing construction today, the main focus is on one or two-story houses. Moreover, a bay window as an addition to facades can be used in the first and second cases. The design of houses has its own characteristics, which should be considered:
- If we are talking about a one-story structure, the bay window can be located on either side of the building, facing the courtyard or the street. Very often people choose a simple and small country house with a bay window, in which there is either a living room or a bedroom.
- The protruding part of the facade will be its beautiful addition, if you place it on the entire length of the perimeter with access to any place of the site. This method is good because you can make the lighting of the internal space more perfect and literate.
- If you are building a two-story house, the bay window can be built into the wall on the first floor, and its roof is a balcony. This is the most common project, but sometimes the bay window stretches over two floors and is erected under a separate roof, giving the facade an unusual look. Such a constructive approach not only improves the lighting of the room, but also allows you to draw a second light.
Thus, the design of houses requires consideration of a number of features. Any inaccuracy in the construction of the structure will lead to the fact that the walls or floors will be deformed, which ultimately will lead to a decrease in the strength and durability of the structure.
Features of the construction
A house with a bay window is always beautiful, but its design is special, and this must be remembered. The main attention should be paid to the choice of materials due to the fact that the design of the bay window is more difficult to install because of the greater number of angles, which affects the reduction of the rigidity of the building and requires a careful approach to the insulation and glazing.
Experts advise building houses with protrusions on the facade of foam blocks, brick or timber. Often used and technology of monolithic construction, which makes it possible to translate into reality a variety of design solutions.
In the interior, a bay window is a very interesting element of architecture that allows you to decorate it in any stylistic direction. The design of the room depends only on your imagination, but there are some features due to which any home with such an element will be original.
Bay window - an ideal opportunity to make the interior of a house or apartment special. The projected area can be used in different ways, with no strict rules for its design. The main thing is to use the bay window to improve the lighting in the room. In addition, you can implement a variety of design ideas:
- with the help of raised columns, arches, cornices, pilasters and mirror surfaces, you can bring elements of the classical style into the interior, emphasizing its individuality;
- niche walls can be decorated with mirror surfaces that visually make the space larger and lighter;
- the bay window can also not be singled out as a composite accent in the interior, which will be a good solution when decorating the dining area in the kitchen or in the living room.
How to plan a space
Any cottage or country house with a bay window is important to correctly zone. The most commonly considered architectural detail is used for the following functional purpose:
- Dining area.
- Work area in the kitchen.
- Recreation area, for example for work or reading.
- Winter Garden.
If the bay window is located in the kitchen, then it makes sense to arrange the dining area. So, you can put a circular or corner sofa, a table that allows you to eat with the whole family. The easiest way to make a dining area, if you build a house out of a bar with a bay window, when it has a clear geometric shape. The dining area can be decorated in different ways: with a sofa along the window, if the protruding part is in the shape of a trapezoid, or by the traditional arrangement of the dining room group by the window. This is the easiest way to organize the layout in the bay window.
If it is located in the living room, then either a study or a winter garden is most often settled here. Whichever way you choose, remember that in no case can you block up or force this area with furniture, it is better to replace the curtains with curtains or curtains (Roman or roll), and in general there is no need for an abundance of textiles.
Build from timber
The most beautiful in terms of design and spacious in terms of the organization of the space are the houses with a bay window and a mansard. In such cottages, the elements appearing on the facade look very harmonious, especially if the building is complemented by a complex roof structure or an unusual entrance group. Such an integrated approach allows not only to improve the aesthetics of the house, but also to increase the useful living space, as well as to improve the view. Most often, the bay window is built either on the ground floor, or on all two floors.
If you are planning to build a house from a bar with a bay window, then remember about some features of using this material. Thus, the profiled bar allows you to lay curly protrusions, and thanks to the locking system of the material, the design will be durable and protected from blowing. To ensure that the room is warm, it is better to glaze a niche only half. Fully glazed designs are suitable for the construction of country houses.
Today, more and more people prefer to build a frame house with a bay window. True, this technology has its difficulties, as the frame is not easy to build. That is why many projects of frame houses are devoid of this architectural element. In fact, experienced specialists immediately realize that the overlap is three squares, thanks to which the necessary rigidity of the structure is provided, and additional sections, which form the bay window. And it is very important between the double boards to lay a special sealing tape in it or to process the space between them with a thin layer of foam.
The frame house with a bay window will have strong walls if the frames of the wall frames were attached to the lower platform, and on top were supplemented with strapping and a second floor overlap platform. In addition, it is worth remembering that when assembling, the gable walls and the central part of the protrusion are first mounted, and then the side frames, which are fixed with temporary supports.
Instead of conclusion
With a competent approach to the construction of the bay window will be a beautiful addition to any building. We hope the information contained in the article was helpful.