Very often you can hear in coffee shops or read a new culinary word in the confectionery menu - “toppings”. What is it and what does it eat in the literal sense of the word?
For many, this concept is associated with desserts, ice cream, in a word, with something sweet. But this word has a broader meaning.
Toppings - what is it?
The word comes from Englishtop ("top"). Toppings are a product or group of products that are placed on top of a prepared dish, dessert, or drink. This is done primarily for a beautiful presentation, but there is also a secondary goal - to impart new taste qualities.That is, in simple words, toppings are all that is on top, whether it is ice cream syrup, garnish sauce or even pizza toppings.
Strictly speaking, there are two main types of such special additives. The first is used for sweet dishes, desserts or drinks, the second - for main dishes and snacks.
Although in fairness it should be noted that the basic meaning of the word “topping” refers exclusively to the world of sweets.
Not so long ago, the “toppings” item appeared in the menu of many institutions. What this word means, any waiter will explain.
Chocolate, whipped cream, creams, jams, syrups, condensed milk, berries, and fruits are used as products for toppings.
The purpose of these tasty supplements is not only to serve the dish beautifully. They also add a special flavor to the cake, ice cream or even coffee. Due to its consistency of thick sauce, topping usually does not soak the dessert completely, but is on top. Thanks to him, any cake looks more appetizing.
Toppings are a complete component of many confectionery products. But their peculiarity is that, to the same sweet dish, everyone can choose their own watering to taste, and can, of course, refuse it.
It is now easy to purchase professional syrups for desserts with a wide variety of tastes, and you can cook some of them yourself.
Pastry Toppings Recipes
- Blueberry Topping You need to take two glasses of berries, mix with 70 grams of sugar and 20 grams of butter, put the mixture on a small fire and cook for 10 minutes. Then pour in the starch, diluted in 4 spoons of water, and stir until it thickens.
- Banana topping. Ingredients: 3 very ripe bananas, 1 cup of sour cream of a small fat content, 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar. Beat all components in a blender and refrigerate for 1 hour to cool.
- Topping of cherries. Mix 1 cup of sugar with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Then gradually pour back a glass of warm water and put the whole mixture on a small fire, stirring until it thickens. At the end for a couple of minutes add 200 grams of cherries, then turn off and cool.
- Chocolate topping. Pour a glass of sugar and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder into a glass of milk. Mix everything gently and cook over low heat until the cocoa is completely dissolved. Then increase the fire. The mixture must boil for 10 minutes. When cool, you can sprinkle this yummy cinnamon.
Toppings for main courses
Toppings - is a unifying concept for all sauces, dressings and sauces, which is poured on top of meat, pasta, hot dogs. They can be both sweet and savory. For example, a carrot-mushroom sauce is suitable for spaghetti, barbecue is good served under a sauce of cherry jam, and pour turkey with orange-mustard glaze. But most often with the choice of topping faced in a pizzeria. The filling is offered the most diverse: seafood, chicken, bacon, cheese, ketchup, sausage, olives, mushrooms, pineapples and much more. Everyone can order their topping of selected products.
Recipes toppings for savory dishes
- Pineapple topping. 200 grams of onions and 100 grams of green bell pepper cut into cubes and fry in butter until the vegetables are soft. Then add a jar of canned pineapples (500 grams), 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of black pepper. Fry it all together for half an hour on low heat until the liquid evaporates. Then add lemon zest, 1 tablespoon of mustard beans, 1 clove of chopped garlic and 80 grams of apple cider vinegar. Do not remove from heat for another 20 minutes, until complete evaporation of the liquid. Serve chilled. This sauce will add originality to a regular hot dog.
- Topping for pizza. Put 800 grams of tomatoes in their own juice in a deep bowl and mash them with a fork. In a thick-walled saucepan, fry in olive oil 1 head of sweet onion to transparency, then add 1 chopped head of garlic and bring it to a golden color. Then add the tomatoes, quickly bring them to a boil over high heat, put oregano and basil to taste, reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Sauce should be slightly cooled, and then pour them pizza.
Many housewives have long mastered the art of cooking toppings. What it is is not a secret for them, but a great way to diversify home cooking.