Very often you can hear in the coffee shops or read in the confectionery menu a new culinary word - "toppings". What is it and what it is eaten in the literal sense of the word?
For many, this concept causes associations with desserts, ice cream, in a word, with something sweet. But this word has a wider meaning.
Toppings - what is it?
The word comes from Englishtop ("top"). Toppings are a product or group of products that are placed on top of a prepared dish, dessert or drink. Do this primarily for a beautiful presentation, but there is a secondary goal - giving new taste qualities.That is, in simple words, toppings are everything that is on top, whether it's ice cream syrup, garnish sauce or even a pizza toppings.
Strictly speaking, there are two main types of such special additives. The former are used for sweet dishes, desserts or drinks, the latter for main courses and snacks.
Although for the sake of justice it should be noted that the main meaning of this word "topping" refers only to the world of sweets.
Not so long ago in the menu of many institutions appeared the item "toppings". What does this word mean, any waiter will explain.
As products for toppings use chocolate, whipped cream, creams, jams, syrups, condensed milk, berries, fruit.
The purpose of these delicious additives is not only to serve the dish beautifully. They also add a special flavor to the cake, ice cream or even coffee. Due to its consistency of thick sauce, topping usually does not permeate the dessert completely, but is on top. Thanks to him, any cake looks more appetizing.
Toppings are a high-grade component of many confectionery products. But the peculiarity of them is that to one and the same sweet dish everyone can choose to water themselves to taste, and, of course, can refuse it.
Now it's easy to buy professional syrups for desserts with different tastes, or you can cook some of them yourself.
Recipes of confectionery toppings
- Blueberry topping. It is necessary to take two glasses of berries, mix with 70 grams of sugar and 20 grams of butter, put this mixture on a small fire and cook for 10 minutes. Then pour in the starch, diluted in 4 tablespoons of water, and stir until it thickens.
- Banana topping. Ingredients: 3 very ripe banana, 1 glass of sour cream of low fat content, 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar. Mix all ingredients in a blender and refrigerate for 1 hour to cool.
- Topping of cherries. 1 cup sugar mixed with 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Then gradually pour in 1 glass of warm water and put the whole mixture on a small fire, stirring until thick. In the end, add 200 grams of cherries for a couple of minutes, then turn it off and cool it.
- Chocolate topping. In a glass of milk, pour a glass of sugar and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. Mix everything gently and cook on low heat until cocoa completely dissolves. Then increase the fire. The mixture must be allowed to boil for 10 minutes. When it cools down, you can sprinkle cinnamon with this yummy.
Toppings for main courses
Toppings are a unifying concept for all gravies, dressings and sauces, which are poured on top of meat, pasta, hot dogs. They can be both sweet and savory. For example, a carrot-mushroom sauce is suitable for spaghetti, a barbecue is served well under cherry jam sauce, and sprinkle turkey with orange-mustard glaze. But most often with the choice of topping you have to face in a pizzeria. The filling is offered the most diverse: seafood, chicken, bacon, cheese, ketchup, sausage, olives, mushrooms, pineapples and much more. Everyone can order their topping from the selected products.
Recipes of toppings for unsweetened dishes
- Pineapple topping. 200 grams of onions and 100 grams of green bell pepper cut into cubes and fry in butter until the softness of the vegetables. Then add a can of canned pineapple (500 grams), 1 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of black ground pepper. Fry all this together for half an hour on low heat until the liquid evaporates. Then add lemon zest, 1 tablespoon mustard in beans, 1 chopped chopped garlic and 80 grams of apple cider vinegar. Do not remove from heat for another 20 minutes until the liquid evaporates completely. Serve chilled. This sauce will add originality to an ordinary hot dog.
- Topping for pizza. Spread 800 grams of tomatoes in its own juice in a deep bowl and mash with a fork. In a saucepan with thick walls, fry 1 head of sweet onion in olive oil until clear, then add 1 crushed garlic head and bring it to a golden color. Then add tomatoes, quickly bring them to a boil, put oregano and basil to taste, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. The sauce should be slightly cooled, and then pour them pizza.
Many mistresses have long mastered the art of preparing toppings. What is it, for them is not a secret, but a great way to diversify home cooking.