The Moscow region is rich in architectural monuments, among which one of the main places is occupied by monasteries and temples. There are many holy monasteries here. Until 1990, most of them were closed. But now Orthodox people have the opportunity again not only to pray in the churches, but also to learn their history, making a pilgrimage to the monasteries of the Moscow region.
These religious centers, which in previous centuries served as outposts of Moscow, remain today important spiritual and cultural centers of Russia. Among them there are monasteries of the Moscow region with miraculous icons that give healing and pacification to the suffering.
Monasteries of Kolomna
This city of the Moscow region, at all times the religious center of the Moscow principality, is unusually rich in church architecture. Monasteries of the Moscow region with miraculous icons, churches and temples rise here, evidencing the destination of the city.
The oldest of these is the Bobrenev Monastery, which, by the order of Dmitry Donskoy, was founded after the Battle of Kulikovo. It contains the miraculous Feodorovskaya icon of the Blessed Virgin.
The monastery was built at the end of the fourteenth century. According to legend, the name is associated with the name of Dmitry Bobrok-Volynsky, who was one of the commanders of Dmitry Donskoy. Before the battle of Kulikovo, they traveled around the place of battle, together they vowed to build a monastery here, which was done.
He endured all the trials: the reign of Ivan the Terrible, Boris Godunov, and the Troubles, and the reforms of Catherine II, again and again reborn in the same place.
At the end of the nineteenth century, the monastery was a beautiful picture from the outside. And inside there were a stable, a bath, sheds and cellars.
According to legend, around the wall of the monastery during the spill, around 1908, a list from the Theodore image was nailed. Troubles, which took place in those years in Russia, did not reach the holy land.
But in 1917 and 1918 the echoes of the events took place and reached the monastery. In the twenties it was closed, but the churches continued to work for some time. Later there were apartments for workers, mineral fertilizers were stored, and even a garage was built where the tractor stopped.
Only in 1991 the monastery began to restore. Particularly revered here is the Theodore Icon of the Most-Holy Theotokos. This is an ordinary icon, created recently. However, she has a difficult history. One Muscovite dreamed in a dream that she was receiving the icon of Theodore for the Bobrenev monastery. Despite the fact that she did not know about the icon, nor about the monastery, she sang the inscription.
Soon the parishioners began to notice that, after praying before the icon, the family begins to strengthen, the barren women become pregnant, and the sorrows of the people are comforted.
Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra
Large monasteries of the Moscow region are associated with the name of one of the most revered Russian saints - Sergius of Radonezh. He directly founded the Trinity-Sergius Lavra in 1337. Originally it was a small wooden town, and over the centuries it grew and developed, and by now has become a unique monument. For a long time it was a defensive structure, because under Ivan the Terrible was transformed into a fortress.
Andrei Rublev created here the most famous Russian icon - the "Trinity".
Here Dmitry Donskoy was blessed for the Battle of Kulikovo, baptized Ivan the Terrible, protected from the streltsy rebellion of the future Peter the Great.
The New Jerusalem Monastery in the Moscow Region is located on the Istra River. Patriarch Nikon conceived the Resurrection Cathedral as an icon of the Holy Land in 1656. He set the task of copying the temple of the Resurrection of the Lord and recreating the Holy Land. The idea was a success. There is also the Tomb of the Lord, and Golgotha, the Mount of Olives, and the Jordan River. In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, numerous pilgrims gathered here. However, in 1919 the monastery was closed, and 1945 - destroyed almost completely. However, since the fifties, restoration has begun, which continues today, bringing it closer to its original appearance.
And now pilgrims come to the New Jerusalem Monastery in the Moscow region to testify their faith.
Uspensky Kolotsky Women's Monastery
The monastery is in the Mozhaisk region of the Moscow region. Many monasteries of the western suburbs are known for their shrines and history. Uspenskaya Kolotskaya monastery is one of them. It was built in the fifteenth century by Andrei Dmitrievich Mozhaisky in honor of the appearance on the river Kolochi of the miraculous icon of the Mother of God and has a rich history. Here there were Polish-Lithuanian ruin in the seventeenth century, battles in 1812, French pogroms and arson.
Many eminent people came here: emperors Alexander the First and Alexander the Second, Metropolitan of Moscow Platon, Field Marshal Kutuzov and many others.
The monastery here arose thanks to the Kolotsk icon of the Mother of God. This is the first miraculous icon near the city of Moscow. A certain Luke then received a sign about this miracle. And he began to walk with her and heal people, first in the villages and Mozhaisk, and then to get to Moscow, where he was greeted with the same solemnity as before met the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God.
Richer, initially Luke led a wild life, but after the incident, when he was almost killed the bear, he perceived the words of Prince Andrew, gave his estate to build the monastery.
Abode flourished, but at times it suffered from the Lithuanian ravage, then became an outpost of Russian troops before the battle at Borodino, where Kutuzov was located, and after the defeat at the Battle of Napoleon lived here. Then there was a French hospital, and when the French retreated, they plundered the monastery.
After the revolution of 1917, it was abolished and handed over to a boarding school for deaf-mute children.
Like other monasteries and temples of the Moscow region, Uspensky Kolotsky began to revive after 1990. The Borodino Military History Museum began to repair the temple, and in 1997 the nunnery was re-opened.
The Holy Trinity Monastery of Belopsotsky (was male, renewed as a female)
It was founded by the Monk Vladimir at the end of the fifteenth century on White Sands, which was an important place on the southern border of the state. Inok received great support from Ivan the Third and Basil III, as the latter were interested in strengthening this milestone.
By the second half of the sixteenth century, almost all the buildings of the monastery were carved out of stone.
In the Time of Troubles the monastery was ruined, and under Peter the Great it was attributed to the Trinity-Sergius Monastery, then returned to the possession of the Kolomna bishops. In the nineteenth century, it became independent.
According to eyewitnesses, in 1918 all the monks were taken out of the monastery and shot.
In Soviet times, there was a hostel for workers, prisoners, in wartime - the guards corps of General Belov, and after the war - warehouses.
Restoration began in the late eighties. And in 1993 the monastic life resumed.
In the Tikhvin temple of the monastery there is a miraculous icon "Quench My Sorrows." It helps the suffering, the needy and the sick. Even in the seventeenth century, the icon healed one very sick woman. She dreamed of a vision where it was said that from the church of St. Nicholas the icon was brought, and she was praying for her to receive healing. The image cured the patient, and since then the icon has been revered as a miracle-working icon.
It was founded in 1374 by Vladimir the Brave, who was blessed by St. Sergius of Radonezh. The monastery is located on a hill, near the confluence of the rivers Nara and Oka, which has long been called High. Hence the religious community and got its name, and was built in honor of the victory on the Kulikovo field over the Tatars.
Serpukhov was the defensive boundary of the Moscow principality in the south, so here it was often unsettled. In addition to the attack of strangers and robbers, the monastery had a blossoming time. And by the beginning of the twentieth century it had become one of the most well-maintained throughout Russia.
In Soviet times, there was a regiment of Latvian riflemen, then a prison, and after the war - housing and warehouses. In 1991 the monastery began to revive.
This place is best known for the miraculous icon of the Blessed Virgin "The Inexhaustible Chalice". For many years, the suffering people have come here to be healed from drunkenness and drug addiction.
The tradition of this icon is as follows. Once a drunken peasant, who reached a beggarly state, had a dream where an old man told him to pray before the "Inexhaustible Chalice". The farmer did not listen, so he did not have no money, no health, to get to the church, where the icon, but the old man came to him in a dream as long as it does not hit the road. Moving on all fours at first, he spent the night with a pious woman who rubbed his legs. After that, he was able to continue the path already on his feet. But when he reached the monastery, he deceived everyone, because they did not know about this icon. However, they later realized that the picturesque image in question was hanging in the aisle, and they did not even pay attention to it. Since then, addicted to drug addiction and drunkenness began to come here to serve a moleben before the icon in the hope of being healed.
The monastery was founded in the fifteenth century by Joseph Volotsky, whose name was also named. In the sixteenth century, the monastery played a very important role not only in the church, but also in state building. Thanks to the zeal of his founder, he became known for charity. Whatever the periods ahead, he always remained true to the precepts of Joseph Volotsky - to bring spiritual enlightenment and not to become isolated.
This priest organized a shelter in which almost fifty children lived. When there was a famine in Dmitrov, the monastery fed up to five hundred hungry people every day.
Charity attracted more and more peasants to the monastic lands. Therefore, neighbors necessarily had to improve their conditions, since otherwise they would go to the monastery.
At the present time in the church there are the relics and relics of the holy Monk Joseph of Volotsk.
This monastery is located on the outskirts of Zvenigorod, at the sources of the Moscow River. Ivan the Terrible loved to come here with his son. In it are the relics of the founder of the monastery - St. Sava, who was one of the disciples of Sergius of Radonezh.
There was also a fortress defending the principality of Moscow, and the residence of the kings, and their refuge during the riots. Under Tsar Aleksei Mikhailovich, the monastery was turned into the Lavra and equated with the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra. In 1918, it was closed, and the restoration began only in 1995 and continues to this day, like other monasteries near Moscow.
The Boris and Gleb Monastery
This shrine, located in the city of Dmitrov, can rightfully be called one of the pearls of the Moscow region. After all, the monastery has remained to this day almost unchanged.
The approximate date of its foundation is the second half of the fifteenth century. According to one of the versions, it was laid by Yuri Dolgoruky.
Many monasteries in Moscow and the Moscow region have experienced difficult times. This also affected the monastery in Dmitrov. It was especially difficult after the revolution, when it was closed down. Restore the steel only since 1993.
The main shrine here is the Cathedral of Boris and Gleb, in which the relics of the saints rest. Also, many people visit the church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker and the chapel of the Descent of the Holy Spirit.
Ascension David's Deserts
Monasteries of the Moscow region are known for another stunningly beautiful abode. David Serpukhovskoy, being in his old age, decided to found a monastery here. Many Russian tsars contributed to its development. The monastery, like other monasteries of the Moscow region, experienced different times - ruin and blossoming.
During the Troubles, the ruined desert was attributed to the Resurrection Monastery, then to Chudov. Only at the end of the eighteenth century did it become prosperous, and construction was resumed. By the beginning of the twentieth century, the Cathedral of the All-Merciful Savior was built here.
Many prominent church hierarchs and secular ones attended the desert. In 1937 it was closed, and the monks were banished. The abbot settled with a pious woman nearby, but was soon killed by unknown people who took his body to conceal evidence.
In 1992, residents of the village of Novy Byt formed an Orthodox community, and they were given the Cathedral of the All-Merciful Savior. In 1995, monastic life was resumed here, and in 1997 the relics of St. David were recovered.
Now he is part of the operating monasteries of the Moscow region, and there are more than one hundred and fifty particles of the relics of the saints in it.
In the village of Talezh, the monastery's courtyard is located, very famous for its curative source, where there are bathhouses, a temple and a belfry.
The history of this monastery began in 1380, when Prince Dmitry Donskoi founded it. He was here an icon of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker when he and his army stopped to rest on the way to Kulikovo Field.
During its history, the monastery experienced periods of prosperity and decline, which sometimes seemed to be the end. But again and again it was restored and opened for visitors today.
The Russian Orthodox Church received it again in the late nineties of the last century, when he was in a miserable state. However, now the former splendor, which was earlier, was restored.
The largest and most significant building of the monastery is the Transfiguration Cathedral. It looks great together with the nearby cathedral of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. There is also a chapel of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, opposite which is the St. Nicholas Cathedral. On the other side is the Assumption Church and the building of the Sovereign and Patriarch's Chambers. And from the north - a small church of the Apostle Matthew and Paraskeva Friday. Among other things, there is a hospital in the monastery.
Up to now, there is a piece of the northern wall, which is called the Jerusalem Wall or Palestine. It was built in 1866.
A special beauty is added to the monastery pond, on the bank of which stands the church of Peter and Paul, and next to it - the chapel, from under which the spring beats.
The Holy Cross Exaltation of Jerusalem
Women's monasteries of the Moscow region have a different history. So, in the Domodedovo district, in the village of Stary Yam, in 1837 a monastery was built. And in 1856, the miraculous image of the Jerusalem Mother of God Metropolitan Philaret of Moscow was given her blessing. The prayer house grew rapidly and became the Floro-Lavra women's community.
In 1870, landowner Golovin gave the community an estate in the village Lukin, where there was a stone church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, where, and moved the entire community, which became known as the Holy Cross.
In 1921 the monastery was closed, looted, and icons and books burned. However, the parishioners preserved several holy shrines. Among them was the miraculous icon of the Jerusalem Mother of God.
Tradition says that the miraculous icon was written by the apostle and evangelist Luke fifteen years after the Ascension of the Lord. In Russia, she was in the year of the Baptism of Rus as a gift to Prince Vladimir from Constantinople emperors.
During the Soviet era, the tobacco factory and warehouses were located on the territory of the monastery, and during the war there was a hospital and a hostel.
Near the village was the homestead of Gorki, where the leader of the proletariat loved to come. There the reserve "Gorki Leninskie" was created.
Basically, the monasteries of the Moscow region began to be restored only in the post-Soviet period. However, the fate of this monastery began to recover earlier, from the sixties, on the grounds that this object was seen by Lenin himself. Monastic life resumed in the nineties.
Someone goes to rest on the resort, and some prefer to spend time in prayer. Women's monasteries of the Moscow region with accommodation provide this opportunity to the suffering. In the Holy Cross Exaltation of Jerusalem there is a hotel in which workers can live free of charge.
Monasteries of the Moscow region with accommodation attract more and more pilgrims who want to give their time to God, pray and work hard for his glory.