The word "aster" literally translated from Greek means "star." This name of the flower is associated with an amazing ancient legend. The constellation of Virgo was associated by the Greeks with Aphrodite. Once, the goddess of love, when looking at the ground, dropped a tear. From this cosmic dust came a beautiful flower. People called it “aster”. Since then, an amazing plant has become the personification of love. Today, people rarely think about how a flower appeared, but its exquisite beauty is appreciated. This is one of the favorite plants of gardeners. But, unfortunately, the beautiful view of the flower can spoil the disease. Asters need protection that will protect them from adversity.
a brief description of
Amazing variety strikes aster annual. Breeders inferred a huge number of varieties. They are surprisingly different in their color and shape. A beautiful plant is able to please needle, terry, pompon, pion-shaped inflorescences of bright saturated colors.
The plant is planted in flower beds, they are decorated with curbs, balconies. After all, it blooms in July and continues to be beautiful until late autumn. The plant is quite unpretentious. But some factors can trigger asters disease.
Consider how a misfortune is most often exposed to a beautiful flower.
This is the most common aster disease. The photo shows how the plant dies. It can be affected during any growing season. But most of all this process is manifested during the beginning of flowering.
Brown streaks appear on the affected part of the stem. Even the whole stem can change color. Leaflets, being exposed to the disease, sag and acquire a brown shade.
Infection of flowers occurs through the soil. This is facilitated by factors that weaken the root:
- clay heavy soils;
- introduction of fresh manure into the soil;
- insufficient or excessive moisture;
- peel formation.
How to deal with fusarium?
Diseases of asters and the fight against them - this is a pressing issue of concern to gardeners.
They recommend the following actions to avoid infection of the flower:
- Before sowing, it is necessary to soak the seeds for 15-18 hours in a solution of micronutrients (magnesium sulphate 0.05% or cobalt chloride 0.03%) for the purposes of prophylaxis.
- The soil mixture is watered with diluted manganese (for 10 liters of water - 1.5 g). Seeds are sealed with dry sand.
- Asters affected by the disease should be removed immediately.
Septoria or brown spot
Light brown spots appear on the leaves of the lower tier. This is a rather unpleasant aster disease. Over time, the spots become gray. Mushroom pycnidia are visible on top of the sheet.
During flowering leaves begin to dry. The plant loses its decorative effect.
Pycnids are able to winter on plant debris. The disease is spread by seeds collected from the affected flower.
Methods of struggle
Gardeners have carefully studied the diseases of asters and the fight against them. Experienced experts suggest resorting to the following procedures:
- As soon as such a disease of asters was noticed, it is necessary to immediately spray the plant with Bordeaux fluid (1%), copper chlorine oxide (0.5%).
- It is necessary to make 2-3 such procedures. The interval between spraying should be 10-14 days.
Such a lesion disfigures aster leaves and sprout buds. Even flower stalks may suffer. But to notice aphids is possible only when the leaf is revealed.
The pest overwinters inside the bud on plum branches. Initially, several generations of wingless aphids have hatched and developed. And only by the end of June a pest appears that is able to fly to the asteraceae plants. Chrysanthemums, asters, and sunflowers suffer from winged aphids. It is on these cultures that the pest begins to multiply rapidly.
In the fall, the aphid returns to the plum. On the branches of trees, she lays eggs. Only they survive the winter.
How to deal with aphids?
It is important to pay attention to the condition of the plant. If mutilated leaflets or buds are noticed, it is necessary to immediately take control measures:
- Initially, you should make sure that it was the aphid that struck the plant. To do this, carefully deploy the kidney.
- An excellent "weapon" against aphids is a systemic insecticide.
- A positive result will ensure the spraying of Malathion, depanom, trichlorfon or means of "INTA-VIR". This procedure should be done in early spring. It is best to spray the plant at the time when Astra will be no more than 4 true leaves.
Any one-year aster diseases lead to the loss of the original beautiful flower. Gray rot is no exception. It affects the leaves, stem, inflorescences. Especially dangerous is the disease for young shoots.
Leaflets and stem at the site of the lesion become brown in color. There is a softening of tissues. Damaged areas begin to rot. In these zones, a fluffy gray bloom of mushroom mycelium is formed. The rapid growth of the disease is noted in cool rainy weather.
Diseases and pests of the aster of one-year-olds are capable of very quickly destroying a beautiful plant. To get rid of gray rot allow the same solutions that are used in Septoria.
On leaflets are formed, if there is such a disease of asters, yellow spots. How to deal with such a scourge?
Initially, consider how the disease manifests itself. The lower leaves of the plant become autumn colored. They begin to turn yellow or blush. Then they dry out quickly. However, such symptoms are characteristic of many diseases. Therefore, to determine the bacterial spotting, it is necessary to conduct a laboratory analysis.
The attack spreads rapidly during wet weather or as a result of frequent watering. Since a moist environment accelerates the spread and introduction of the pathogen through the wounds and stomatal gaps.
The causative agent of the disease is able to winter in the affected areas. Therefore, aster can be propagated only from a healthy plant. In addition, when growing asters, you must adhere to strict hygiene.
Allows you to get acquainted with how this disease of asters looks like, photo posted in the article.
Methods of dealing with spotting
To get rid of the disease take the following measures:
- Leaves must be dry. To this end, it is necessary to abandon sprinkling sprinkling for a while.
- In the preventive purposes it is recommended to treat the Astra with copper sulfate. Spraying is 1 every three weeks. This procedure should be repeated several times. When it sprayed not only the plant itself but the soil.
- In the case of the occurrence of the disease is recommended to treat the plant with Bordeaux liquid (1%) and copper oxychloride (0,5%). The procedure must be repeated 2-3 times. The interval between sprays should be 10-12 days.
If you want an amazing flower to delight you with its beautiful flowering, provide it with the necessary conditions:
- Astra annual does not like the shadow, as well as excess moisture. So choose a sunny open place for it.
- Best of all, the aster feels itself in fertile, neutral-acid soil.
- It is not recommended to feed the plant organic fertilizers. Especially detrimental to the condition of the asters to be affected by the introduction of fresh manure. To feed the crop can be decomposed compost or mineral complex fertilizer.
If you provide the plant with the necessary care, a beautiful flower will thank you for a magnificent flowering that will last until late autumn.