Previously, only brick was used for the construction of buildings and the construction of interior partitions. With the improvement of building materials, claydite-concrete products, gas silicate and foam concrete blocks came to replace it. Manufacturers also did not dwell on this diversity, so today another, more advanced version is available to us - tongue-and-groove units. What are the advantages of this type, what properties it is endowed with, how difficult it is to work and where it is used, we will tell you in this article.
Pazogrebnevy blocks are made of plaster or silicate mixture. The finished product is presented in the form of plates and blocks (white, green or gray) of rectangular shape, at the edges of which are the protrusions and grooves for joining adjacent elements.
The product can be both corpulent and hollow. The shape of the ridge blocks are divided into trapezoidal and rectangular. This difference does not affect the quality of the material, so they are chosen depending on personal preferences.
The fixed dimensions of the material allow to erect even walls in a short time. Laying can be done in one or two layers, and in the second case between the layers you can easily hide electrical wiring and other communications.
The finished wall is quite durable and can be used in any climatic conditions.
Positive features of the material
Having considered the main characteristics of the material, we can conclude that the blocks (tongue-and-groove) are almost universal. They can be used in residential and technical areas in wet and dry climates. In addition, the gypsum block fully complies with all sanitary standards and construction requirements. Also to the positive qualities include the following properties:
1. Full fire safety. Blocks of this type are classified as non-combustible materials that do not emit odor when exposed to fire.
2. Environmental friendliness. Since there are no toxic substances in the product, it is absolutely safe for people and the environment.
3. High vapor permeability. The structure of the unit does not impede the escape of steam, so that a comfortable microclimate is maintained in the room.
4. Resistance to temperature and humidity. The material is not deformed and is covered with cracks as a result of sharp changes in the internal climate in the building.
5. Small plate width. During the construction of internal partitions of this material the effective area of the room is reduced slightly.
6. Efficiency. The use of tongue-and-groove blocks and slabs contributes to the acceleration of the construction process (due to the large size of the product) and cost savings (due to the low unit cost).
7. No need to plaster walls. The surface of the partitions is perfectly flat and smooth.
8. Low weight. Lightweight material is very easy to install and does not have a large load on the base.
Varieties of tongue-and-groove blocks
Pazogrebnevy blocks for partitions are of the following types:
The choice of one or another option depends on the specifics of the room.
Conventional blocks can only be used in dry and well ventilated areas. This is due to the fact that their composition does not include hydrophobic components that protect the material from moisture.
Moisture resistant varieties (they can be identified by a green shade) can be used in rooms with normal and high humidity.
Hollow blocks are used for erecting piers when their main function is to delimit the space. In this case, the work will be done very quickly, but it will not be possible to hang heavy objects on the wall.
Full-bodied versions have increased strength and considerable weight, thereby increasing the load on the base. However, when it is necessary to achieve high levels of heat and sound insulation, this option is optimal.
The operational properties and sizes of tongue-and-groove blocks differ depending on their variety, however, some identical indicators can be distinguished:
• the mass of a single hollow plate is about 25-27 kg;
• standard full block weighs about 40 kg;
• weight of one m² floor - 85 kg;
• density of the material is 1000 kg⁄m³;
• plate bending strength - 2.2 MPa.
The degree of water absorption of standard units is 25%, while for waterproof versions this quality does not rise above the level of 5%.
Most often in construction blocks with dimensions of 667x500x80 mm are used. For products with these dimensions, the level of noise absorption does not exceed 43 dB. To increase sound insulation of walls, tongue-and-groove blocks of 667x500x100 mm are used. The increased width of the slab prevents extraneous noise from entering the room, but this partition takes up more space.
Scope of application
Standard tongue-and-groove blocks are designed for erecting partitions in rooms whose height does not exceed 4.2 meters.
Hollow variants are more often used for the construction of partitions in apartments and country houses. Solid blocks are used for the construction of walls in public and industrial premises.
Two-layer walls of plaster blocks delimit the space of neighboring apartments, and products with a large thickness are used for cladding facades (in order to reduce the heat loss of a building).
Are there any drawbacks in groove blocks?
In addition to a number of positive features, each building material has certain disadvantages. The tongue-and-groove blocks were no exception.
If you pay attention to their main advantage - lightness, then it can be understood that in some issues it may also become the main drawback of the material.
As mentioned earlier, heavy metal shelves, racks and other interior items should not be fixed to the walls of such blocks. Due to this feature, homeowners have to install additional fasteners, which causes a lot of trouble.
Also the pier of gypsum boards requires additional fixation at the ceiling, otherwise the wall can be loose.
If we consider the financial issue, compared with other building materials, tongue-and-groove blocks are much more economical. Their cost depends on the manufacturer and the technical characteristics of the product.
For example, the standard tongue-and-groove blocks “Knauf”, having dimensions of 667x500x80, will cost about 210 rubles per piece, and products with a thickness of 100 mm will cost 240 rubles. Waterproof options of this manufacturer will cost the buyer from 290 rubles per plate.
The products of the domestic manufacturer Volma have a lower price tag. The cost of a standard hollow block varies between 180-200 rubles. Waterproof options have a price tag of 230 rubles per item.
What nuances you need to know when working with gypsum blocks
1. The construction of walls of tongue-and-groove blocks should be started immediately after the construction of the building (before the start of the finishing). Works need to be performed at a temperature not lower than +5 degrees and low humidity.
2. The blocks (tongue-and-groove) are transported and moved very carefully in order to prevent mechanical damage to the material or its waterlogging. The plates are stacked on each other in piles not higher than 2 meters.
3. Neighboring elements are attached to each other using a special fixing composition. Laying can be made as a groove up and down. The first option is considered the most convenient, since in this case the glue is better distributed in the groove.
4. In order for the fastening of the plates to be as reliable and high-quality as possible, they must be treated with a primer before work.
5. Glue should be applied in such a way that the thickness of the seam does not exceed 2 mm. Between the ceiling and the last (top) slab, leave 2 cm of gap, which is filled with mounting foam at the end.
As you can see, the positive qualities of tongue-and-groove blocks are much more than disadvantages, which is why today they are at the peak of their popularity.
In conclusion, I would like to draw the attention of novice builders to the fact that in modern markets there are a lot of these products from unscrupulous manufacturers. Buying building materials at a low price, you risk to face such troubles as the extreme fragility of the block, the mismatch of sizes and the sudden formation of cracks on the walls.
As practice shows, such products are best purchased in large retail chains, which value their name and monitor the quality of the products offered. If you didn’t have to buy such materials before, and you don’t know where to buy high-quality tongue-and-groove blocks - “Leroy Merlin”, “Maxidom”, OBI and other similar stores visit first of all.