The drug "Cefazolin", which will be discussed below, is an antibiotic that belongs to the first generation of the group of cephalosporins. It is administered exclusively by injection, because during oral administration (in the form of tablets) it breaks down in the digestive tract, not having time to digest by the body and have an antibacterial effect. The antibiotic has a wide range of effects, so it can be used to heal various infections caused by sensitive microbes. The drug is used to treat virtually all body systems, for example, urinary, respiratory, genital, joints, skin, etc. This drug will be discussed in our article.
Form of issue and title
Antibiotic "Cefazolin", reviews about which are positive, is issued in the form of a dry powder for the preparation of a solution, intended for intravenous or intramuscular injection. The drug is packed in vials of glass and hermetically sealed. In Latin, this drug is called Cefazolin. This term is the international name of the antibiotic. Commercial names may differ significantly from international ones, since each company has the right to produce a drug with the main active substance "cefazolin", but to call it a simpler and more memorable name. Commercial names of the drug are very diverse: Ancef, Amzolin, Atralcef, Zolin, Woolmizolin, Iphizol, Zolphin, Intrazolin, Natsef, Kefzol, Lizolin and etc. But there are medicines, the naming of which coincides with the generally accepted name of the substance, for example "Cefazolin-Sandoz", "Cefazolin-AKOS", etc.
All of the above are the same - antibiotic "Cefazolin", which is used standardly, regardless of the manufacturer and name. The medicine can differ only in quality, as it is produced by different pharmaceutical factories.
The antibiotic "Cefazolin", the instruction for use, which is published in this article, is available in the following dosages:
- 250 milligrams;
- 500 milligrams;
- 1000 milligrams (1 gram).
The drug "Cefazolin" is a semisynthetic antibiotic belonging to the group of beta-lactams. It destroys pathogenic bacteria, destroying and at the same time their cellular system. Medication "Cefazolin" has proved itself in the fight against various types of microorganisms, which is why it refers to drugs of a wide range of effects. In addition, compared with other drugs from the group of cephalosporins, it is considered the safest drug, since it has minimal toxicity. The main therapeutic effect of the antibiotic "Tsefazolin", whose reviews suggest that this is a very effective remedy, is the extermination of a pathogenic microorganism that causes an infectious inflammatory pathology. Thus, this drug neutralizes the development of inflammations and infections that are sensitive to it.
To date, the efficacy of the antibiotic described in the fight against the following microorganisms has been revealed:
- staphylococcus aureus (staphylococcus aureus);
- streptococcus beta-hemolytic from group A;
- staphylococcus epidermal (staphylococcus epidermidis);
- streptococcus pyogenes;
- streptococcus hemolytic (streptococcus hemolyticus);
- pneumonia diplococcus (diplococcus pneumoniae);
- klebsiella (klebsiella spp.);
- streptococcus viridans (streptococcus viridans);
- intestinal stick (escherichia coli);
- enterobacteria (enterobacter aerogenes);
- proteus (proteus mirabilis);
- salmonella (salmonella spp.);
- haemophilus influenza (haemophilus influenzae);
- neisseria (neisseria meningitidis and neisseria gonorrhoeae);
- shigella (shigella disenteriae, etc.);
- source of Siberian sores (bacillus anthracis);
- corynebacterium diphtheriae;
- spirochetes (spirochaetoceae);
- clostridium pertringens;
- leptospira (leptospira spp.);
- treponema spp.
Indications for use
The drug "Cefazolin", the instruction, which is of interest to many, is used for the treatment of the following diseases:
- chronic and acute bronchitis;
- bacterial pneumonia;
- infected bronchiectasis;
- chest infection that developed after surgery;
- abscess of the lung;
- empyema of the pleura;
- inflammation of the middle ear;
- chronic and acute pyelonephritis;
- skin infections;
- infected gangrene;
- infection on the burn or wound surface;
- infection of soft tissues or skin after surgery;
- septic arthritis;
- infection of the eye;
- bile duct infection;
- post-abortion infection;
- infection of the uterus;
- pelvic abscess;
Instructions for use
Has a wide range of effects of the drug "Cefazolin" (injections). Reviews of this antibiotic indicate that it practically does not have harmful effects on the body. It is administered intramuscularly or intravenously, previously dissolving the desired dose of powder in novocaine, water and lidocaine. The frequency of injection and dosage of the drug depend on the severity of the patient's condition and the degree of danger of infection. Usually injections are done in the buttock, thigh or shoulder. The intravenous antibiotic "Cefazolin" can be administered in the form of a dropper or injections. The powder should be diluted in the patient's dosage. It is determined by the severity of the disease. Adults who do not have renal failure should receive the drug in the following amounts:
1. Infections of mild severity caused by staphylococci or streptococci require the introduction of the antibiotic "Cefazolin" at a dose of 500 milligrams - 1 gram every twelve hours. You can distribute this dosage 500 milligrams every 8 hours. The maximum administered amount of the drug per day is 1.5-2 grams.
2. Uncomplicated acute infections of the urinary tract (cystitis, urethritis, etc.) - 1 gram each morning and evening, every twelve hours. The daily dose of the medicine should not exceed 2 grams.
3. Bacterial pneumonia requires the introduction of the drug "Cefazolin," which is known to be reliable, 500 milligrams every twelve hours. The maximum dosage of antibiotic per day is 1 gram.
4. Infections of severe or moderate severity cause the need for the use of the antibiotic "Cefazolin" at a dose of 500 milligrams - 1 gram every six to eight hours. The daily dose of the drug should not exceed three to four grams.
5. Infections that are deadly, are treated with the introduction of one and a half grams of effective "Cefazolin" every six hours. In this case, use this drug should be cautious, no more than four to six grams per day.
Extremely difficult condition of the patient allows the use of the maximum amount of the drug "Cefazolin" (injections). Testimonials of experts suggest that its dosage can be increased to 12 grams per day, when it comes to life and death. However, for people suffering from kidney failure, such a dose of the drug may be fatal.
Assignment to children
Only in the presence of acute necessity can antibiotics "Cefazolin" be administered to infants. Reviews (for children this is very important) say that this drug can only be used under strict supervision of a doctor.
- Light and moderate infections cause the need for this medication in an amount of 25-50 milligrams per kilogram of the patient's weight. This dose is usually divided into 2-4 doses per day.
- Severe infections require more drug - 100 milligrams per kilogram of the child's weight. It is administered within 24 hours, in three to four doses.
- Preterm and newborns receive a "Cefazolin" medication in a single amount of 20 milligrams per kilogram of the patient's weight every twelve hours.
- At the age of 7, the medicine is prescribed at the rate of 60 milligrams per kilogram of weight per day.
Application in pregnancy
It is possible to administer the drug "Cefazolin" to women bearing a child. Instructions for use during pregnancy (doctors' testimonials confirm this) indicates that this antibiotic is able to penetrate the placenta and affect the fetus. But when it comes to the mother's life, its use is justified. Testing the drug on animals has proved that it has no negative effect on the fetal development of the fetus.
Antibiotic "Cefazolin" during pregnancy (expert reviews on its use are widely known) is used extremely rarely. Also, the drug penetrates into breast milk, so during the treatment of a nursing mother it is recommended to transfer her baby to artificial feeding.
Side effects associated with violations of the gastrointestinal tract. When treating this drug, patients may suffer from a lack of appetite, glossy, heartburn, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Less often they develop pseudomembranous colitis or candidiasis. On the part of the urinary system, there may be a violation of the functional activity of the kidneys and an increase in the concentration of creatinine and urea in the blood, from the side of the circulatory system - a decrease in the number of leukocytes, platelets and neutrophils in the blood. Also, various allergic reactions are possible.
Strictly prohibited for use in the presence of the patient's allergy to drugs from the group of cephalosporins antibiotic "Cefazolin." The opinions of specialists state that with the sensitivity of the patient to penicillin antibiotics, the drug can be dangerous. In this case, it is administered very carefully, as much as possible prepared for a possible anaphylactic shock. Also, the use of the drug is not recommended during lactation and in the treatment of newborns.
As already mentioned above, preparations with the main active substance "cefazolin" are represented on the pharmaceutical market very widely. They are all a white powder, designed to create a solution for intravenous and intramuscular administration. "Atralcef"; "Amzolin"; "Anceph"; "Woolmisolin"; "Intrazolin"; "Zolin"; Zolphin; "Kefzol"; "Ithisol"; "Lizolin"; "Orizolin"; "Nacef"; Orpin; Prozolin; Totazef; "Reflin"; "Tsezolin"; "Cefazolin-Watham"; "Cefazolin-Biohemi" - these are just some of the names of these drugs. Their effectiveness is determined by the conscientiousness of the manufacturing plants on which they are manufactured.
In modern medicine, the drug "Cefazolin" is actively used. In gynecology (reviews of patients prove this), the use of this medication is especially important. To many women, he helped get rid of various reproductive system infections, pelvic abscess, and other serious problems. In addition, this drug is effective in the treatment of syphilis.
Parents often leave positive comments about the drug "Cefazolin." Children, due to their small age, are often prone to various bacterial infections. The drug described by us effectively fights against them even in the most neglected cases. It often proves to be much more effective than other antibiotics.
In addition, side effects from the use of proven "Cefazolin" are very rare. Most often, they are caused by the patient's excessive sensitivity to the drug, as well as overdose. After the cessation of therapy, all side effects disappear without a trace.
Negative impressions in patients cause only soreness of injections. But the extreme effectiveness of the drug makes you forget about this annoying inconvenience. Complaints that "Cefazolin" did not help in this particular case (this is extremely rare!) Is mainly due to the fact that the patient's body is infected with microorganisms that are resistant to its effects.
The cost of the antibiotic "Cefazolin" is low. It depends on the dosage and firm of the manufacturer. Approximate prices for the drug are presented in the table: