The drug "Cefazolin", reviews of which will be given below, is an antibiotic belonging to the first generation of the group of cephalosporins. It is administered exclusively by injection, because during oral administration (in the form of tablets) it is destroyed in the gastrointestinal tract, not having time to absorb the body and provide an antibacterial effect. The antibiotic has a wide range of effects, so it can be used to heal various infections caused by microbes that are sensitive to it. The drug is used to treat virtually all body systems, such as urinary, respiratory, genital, joints, skin, etc. This article will be discussed in our article.
Release form and name
The antibiotic Cefazolin, which has positive reviews, is available as a dry powder for preparing a solution intended for intravenous or intramuscular administration. The product is packaged in glass bottles and hermetically sealed. In Latin, this medicine is called Cefazolin. This term is the international name of the antibiotic. Commercial names may differ significantly from international ones, since each company has the right to produce a drug with the main active substance “cefazolin”, but to call it a more simple and memorable name. Commercial names of the drug are very diverse - "Antsef", "Amzolin", "Atraltsef", "Zolin", "Woolmizolin", "Ifizol", "Zolfin", "Intrazolin", "Natsef", "Kefzol", "Lysolin" and etc. But there are medicines whose naming coincides with the common name of the substance, for example, “Cefazolin-Sandoz”, “Cefazolin-AKOS”, etc.
All of the above are one and the same - the antibiotic "Cefazolin", which is used as a standard, regardless of the manufacturer and name. The drug may differ only in quality, since it is produced by various pharmaceutical factories.
Antibiotic "Cefazolin", instructions for use, reviews of which are published in this article, is available in the following dosages:
- 250 milligrams;
- 500 milligrams;
- 1000 milligrams (1 gram).
The drug "Cefazolin" is a semi-synthetic antibiotic belonging to the group of beta-lactams. It destroys pathogenic bacteria, destroying their cellular system. The drug "Cefazolin" showed itself well in the fight against various types of microorganisms, which is why it belongs to a wide range of drugs. In addition, compared with other drugs from the group of cephalosporins, it is considered the safest medicine, as it has minimal toxicity. The main therapeutic effect of the antibiotic "Cefazolin", reviews of which suggest that it is a very effective means, is the extermination of the pathogenic microorganism that causes the infectious-inflammatory pathology. Thus, this drug eliminates the development of inflammation and infections that are sensitive to it.
To date, the effectiveness of the antibiotic described by us in the fight against the following microorganisms has been revealed:
- staphylococcus aureus (staphylococcus aureus);
- beta-hemolytic streptococci from group A;
- staphylococcus epidermal (staphylococcus epidermidis);
- streptococcus pyogenes (streptococcus pyogenes);
- streptococcus hemolytic (streptococcus hemolyticus);
- pneumonia diplococcus (diplococcus pneumoniae);
- klebsiella (klebsiella spp.);
- streptococcus viridal (streptococcus viridans);
- intestinal bacillus (escherichia coli);
- enterobacterium (enterobacter aerogenes);
- proteus (proteus mirabilis);
- salmonella (salmonella spp.);
- hemophilus bacillus (haemophilus influenzae);
- neisseria (neisseria meningitidis and neisseria gonorrhoeae);
- shigella (shigella disenteriae, etc.);
- source of Siberian ulcer (bacillus anthracis);
- corynebacterium (corynebacterium diphtheriae);
- spirochaetes (spirochaetoceae);
- clostridia (clostridium pertringens);
- leptospira (leptospira spp.);
- treponema (treponema spp.).
Indications for use
The drug "Cefazolin", instructions, reviews that are of interest to many, used to heal the following diseases:
- chronic and acute bronchitis;
- bacterial pneumonia;
- infected bronchiectasis;
- chest infection developed after surgery;
- lung abscess;
- pleural empyema;
- inflammation of the middle ear;
- chronic and acute pyelonephritis;
- skin infections;
- infected gangrene;
- infection on a burn or wound surface;
- infection of soft tissue or skin after surgery;
- septic arthritis;
- eye infection;
- biliary tract infections;
- post-abortion infection;
- uterine infection;
- pelvic abscess;
Instructions for use
It has a wide range of effects of the drug "Cefazolin" (shots). Reviews of this antibiotic indicate that it has almost no harmful effects on the body. It is administered intramuscularly or intravenously, pre-dissolving the desired dose of powder in novocaine, water and lidocaine. The frequency of injections and the dosage of the drug depend on the severity of the patient’s condition and the degree of danger of infection. Usually, injections are made into the buttock, thigh, or shoulder. Intravenous antibiotic "Cefazolin" can be administered in the form of a dropper or injections. The powder should be diluted in the required dosage to the patient. It is determined by the severity of the disease. Adults without renal failure should receive the drug in the following amounts:
1. Infections of mild severity caused by staphylococci or streptococci require the administration of the antibiotic “Cefazolin” in a dose of 500 milligrams - 1 gram every twelve hours. You can distribute this dosage to 500 milligrams every 8 hours. The maximum amount of the drug administered per day is 1.5-2 grams.
2. Uncomplicated acute urinary tract infections (cystitis, urethritis, etc.) - 1 gram in the morning and evening, every twelve hours. The daily dose of medication should not exceed 2 grams.
3. Bacterial pneumonia requires the introduction of the drug "Cefazolin", the reviews of which are notable for the reliability of 500 milligrams every twelve hours. The maximum dosage of an antibiotic per day is 1 gram.
4. Severe or moderate infections cause the need to use the antibiotic Cefazolin at a dose of 500 milligrams - 1 gram every six to eight hours. The daily dose of the drug should not exceed three to four grams.
5. Infections that are deadly are treated by administering one to one and a half grams of effective Cefazolin every six hours. In this case, this drug should be used carefully, no more than four to six grams per day.
Extremely serious condition of the patient allows the use of the maximum amount of the drug "Cefazolin" (shots). Reviews of experts suggest that its dosage can be increased to 12 grams per day, when it comes to life and death. However, for people suffering from renal insufficiency, this dose of the drug can be fatal.
Appointment to children
Only if there is an urgent need can the antibiotic “Cefazolin” be administered to babies. Reviews (for children it is very important) suggest that this drug can be used only under the strict supervision of a doctor.
- Mild and moderate infections cause the need for this medicine in the amount of 25-50 milligrams per 1 kg of patient weight. This dose is usually divided into 2-4 doses per day.
- Severe infections require more drug - 100 milligrams per kilogram of child's weight. It is introduced within 24 hours, in three to four doses.
- Premature babies and newborns receive Cefazolin medication in a one-time amount of 20 milligrams per kilogram of patient weight every twelve hours.
- Children aged 7 years old are prescribed medication at the rate of 60 milligrams per kilogram of body weight per day.
Use during pregnancy
You can enter women who are carrying a child, the drug "Cefazolin." Instructions for use during pregnancy (reviews of doctors confirm this) indicates that this antibiotic is able to penetrate the placenta and affect the fetus. But when it comes to mother's life, its use is justified. Testing the drug in animals has shown that it does not adversely affect the intrauterine development of the fetus.
The antibiotic “Cefazolin” during pregnancy (the reviews of specialists about its use are widely known) are used extremely rarely. Also, the drug penetrates into breast milk, so for the time of treatment of a nursing mother it is recommended to transfer her baby to artificial feeding.
Side effects associated with impaired activity of the gastrointestinal tract. When treated with this drug, patients may suffer from lack of appetite, glossy, heartburn, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Less commonly, they develop pseudomembranous colitis or candidiasis. On the part of the urinary system, there may be a violation of the functional activity of the kidneys and an increase in the concentration of creatinine and urea in the blood, on the part of the circulatory system - a decrease in the number of white blood cells, platelets and neutrophils in the blood. Various allergic reactions are also possible.
It is strictly forbidden to use if the patient is allergic to drugs from the cephalosporins group of the antibiotic Cefazolin. Reviews of experts state that even in case of patient's hypersensitivity to penicillin antibiotics, the drug can be dangerous. In this case, it is administered very carefully, as prepared for a possible anaphylactic shock. Also, the use of drugs is not recommended during lactation and in the treatment of newborns.
As mentioned above, preparations with the main active ingredient "cefazolin" are very widely represented in the pharmaceutical market. All of them are white powder, designed to create a solution for intravenous and intramuscular administration. Atralcef; Amzolin; "Antsef"; Woolmizolin; Intrazolin; Zolin; Zolfin; Kefzol; "Ifizol"; "Lysolin"; Orisolin; "National"; Orpin; Prozolin; Totacef; Reflin; "Cesolin"; Cefazolin-Vatham; "Cefazolin-Biohemi" - these are just some of the names of these drugs. Their effectiveness is determined by the honesty of the manufacturers in which they are manufactured.
In modern medicine, the drug Cefazolin is widely used. In gynecology (patient reviews prove this) the use of this drug is especially important. He helped many women to get rid of various infections of the reproductive system, pelvic abscess, and other serious problems. In addition, this drug is effective in the treatment of syphilis.
Parents often leave positive reviews about the drug "Cefazolin." Children, due to their small age, are often susceptible to various bacterial infections. The medicine described by us effectively fights them even in the most neglected cases. It is often much more effective than other antibiotics.
In addition, side effects from the use of proven “Cefazolin” are very rare. Most often they are due to the patient's excessive sensitivity to the drug, as well as overdose. After cessation of therapy, all side effects disappear without a trace.
Negative impressions in patients cause only pain injections. But the extreme effectiveness of the drug makes you forget about this annoying inconvenience. Complaints that “Cefazolin” did not help in this particular case (this happens very rarely!) Mainly due to the fact that the patient's body is infected with microorganisms that are resistant to its effects.
The cost of antibiotic "Cefazolin" is small. It depends on the dosage and manufacturer. Approximate prices for the drug are presented in the table: